[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - drag strips

drag strips

HO Scale Slot Car Forum
From T-Jets to Magnet Missles!

drag strips

Postby Dennis Laff » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:15 am

Hi Everyone I currently have a 1/32 4 lane routed track . I would like to add a 1/64 drag strip looking at all the routed tracks Brads Tracks, MaxTrax and Viper anybody have any input on what track they like or don't like. Thanks Dennis
Dennis Laff

Re: drag strips

Postby bookie » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:09 am

PM sent
bookie
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:52 am

I am very familiar with both Brad's and MaxTrax, they are both high quality. I have not yet seen a Viper track. If you figure that HO is 1/64th scale a quarter mile MaxTrax would have 8 joints, plus the ones in the shutdown area. A Brad's track could have as few as three. I have a MaxTrax road course that converts to an oval. The track is now 20 years old and I have never had a problem with the joints. The keys that join the sections keep them aligned from side to side. You might have to fiddle a little with the height of the sections at the joints, but once you get that done the joints stay aligned.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Ecbill » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:59 am

Dennis,

You might try having a look at Nitroslots.com They are dedicated to HO drag racing. Several guys there have fantastic tracks and are always willing to share advice.

Bill
Ecbill
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dennis Laff » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:44 am

Thanks Ecbill i'll look at Nitroslots website Dennis
Dennis Laff

Postby Dennis Laff » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:04 am

Well I ordered the 1/64 scale 30 ft drag strip from MaxTrax this week .now a few questions since I'm new to this HO scale. Power for track 2 power supplys ? How many volts do you need ? And thinking of using slot dragon timming system any thoughts on my ideas would be appreciated . 50 years with 1/32 routed slot car tracks but the drag strip will be in my basement for fun no serious racing thanks Dennis
Dennis Laff

Postby nhdungeonracer » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:50 pm

nhdungeonracer
SCC Mechanic

Postby Ecbill » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:34 pm

A variable supply is real handy. Most of the guys at Nitro Slots are using 0-30v supplies with anywhere from 10 to 20 amps current. Race hosts will specify different voltages. 13.8v, 18v, and 20 volts are most common. Its nice to be able to practice with the voltage that will be used at the track.

Slot dragon is a good system. I have been pleased with it. The photo eye sensors work with cars with and without traction magnets. The magnetic sensors require traction magnets.

Bill
Ecbill
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: drag strip

Postby Dennis Laff » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:25 pm

Thanks guys for the info
Dennis
Dennis Laff

Postby Dennis Laff » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:01 pm

Well I got delivery this week of my MaxTrax 1/64 scale 30 ft drag strip looks great,now waiting on Trackmate racing Dp3000HO timing system .Time to start building a bench on basement wall .
Dennis Laff

Postby RichD » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:33 pm

I believe that HO drag strips are normally run at 24 volts.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dennis Laff » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:39 pm

Thanks I'll keep that in mind the HO dragstrip is new to me .
Dennis Laff

Postby RV Racing » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:55 am

I have participated and hosted several proxy HO drag races organized by NTRA (National Thunder Rod Association). NTRA has a wide range of classes, ranging from T-jet Stockers and to inline Pro Mods. Track voltage varies according to the class that is being run -- for example, 13.8 volts for Stockers, 18.0 volts for Gassers, 22 volts for Pro Stock, etc. (As noted above in previous replies, check out rules, classes, and past events on the nitroslots.com website.)

This helps to differentiate between the classes, with quicker e.t.s and faster speeds for the more extensively modified races, just as in "real racing." Just my opinion, but I prefer racing at lower voltage because you can actually see the races unfold -- one driver gets a holeshot, the other gains ground at mid-track, and then they go side-by-side across the finish line. With the higher voltages and faster cars, it's all about reaction time, and the cars are just a blur (at least to my old eyes). It's a matter of taste. But I would suggest a variable power supply so you can decide what works for your track, your cars, and your events.

Hope this helps,
Rick V.
RV Racing
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dennis Laff » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:53 am

Thanks Rick all advice is great fully appreciated .Dennis
Dennis Laff

Return to HRW HO Scale