[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Routing an H.O. track questions

Routing an H.O. track questions

HO Scale Slot Car Forum
From T-Jets to Magnet Missles!

Routing an H.O. track questions

Postby Fletch3 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:39 pm

I have been involved in routing several 1/32 tracks but never HO. Is there any good reads on doing so? Plan on using copper tape but not sure on the width I need and info on the slot width. And how far do I run the tape from the slot? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Fletch3

Re: Routing an H.O. track questions

Postby BIG E » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:56 pm

I would seek out the advice of Ed Bianchi, a veteran routed track and scratchbuilt car builder. I believe his "handle" is HO Racer Pro, but that may not be it exactly. Ask administration to put you in touch if you're having problems finding Ed. He's a good guy and knows what he's talking about. I've raced on a few of his tracks, driven a couple of his cars, and had a few face to face conversations with him myself.
That's definitely my recommendation to you. -- Ernie :>)
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:01 pm

slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby Fletch3 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:03 pm

Thanx guys. I shot him an e-mail...
Fletch3

Postby RichD » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:10 pm

I have raced with Ed Bianchi and also raced on at least five of his tracks. Here is a video on braiding a routed HO track, there may be another one on the routing part.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HO RacePro » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:30 pm

Fletch3,

Ed Bianchi here! I have just re-upped on Home Racing World. (And if I can't resolve my login issues with Slot Car Illustrated, this is going to be my new home.) I am late to the party, but let me catch up.

Your experience routing 1/32nd tracks will stand you in good stead with HO tracks. Use 3/8 inch thick MDF for your racing surface. I recommend routing your slots 1/8 inch wide by 3/16 inch deep. I also strongly recommend you install braid instead of copper tape. While standard HO pickups work very well on braid with some 'reveal' above the track surface, they just do not work well at all on copper tape. Fact. The only way to get HO cars to run well on copper tape is to install (shameless plug) Slide Guides, or other such setup with ('nother shameless plug) Pickup Wire or braid replacing the hard pickup shoes.

Using a 1/8 inch wide slot will make routing your track much easier -- and cheaper too -- because you won't be breaking your router bits trying to cut those narrow 1/16 inch slots. It will also mean you can run your 1/32nd cars if you want to, just on every other lane. The wider slots do not upset HO cars. The only cars that have a problem with the wide slots are T-jets with the original skinny tires. Their tires can get stuck in the slots. Any other cars will do just fine. Especially if they have been upgraded to (do you believe how shameless I am?) Slide Guides.

I use braid sold by Magnatech SRP. It is available in 1/8 inch width in either magnetic (tin-plated copper-clad steel) or non-magnetic (tin-plated copper) versions. I have used both, and my customers have been happy. The video that RichD posted above should give you a good idea how to install it.

I do NOT recommend the traditional steel rail. It is a bear to work with, and it is just as hard to maintain as the stuff in plastic track. If you use braid you will not have to scrub oxide off it. Braid does not require that. Great, yes?

One other thing. I strongly recommend painting your track BEFORE you rout. Use plastic or MDF for the foot plate of your router, and break the edges so they will not scratch. You can rout your track without damaging the paint. The benefit is you won't have paint running into your slots and braid reliefs. Please don't make that mistake!

I'll be happy to answer more questions. Post them here.

Ed Bianchi
HO RacePro

Postby Alan132 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:37 pm

For Ed B,
Is Magnatech SRP still in business? Last I heard there was a fire of sorts when I was living in Dallas.

Been looking for 1/8" braid for years now since I used all mine on my track when I lived in Dallas. Retired now and moved to Minnesota. Want to build a road coarse.

Do you have 1/8" available?

Thank you - Alan
Alan132
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:22 am

Here is the contact info that I have on file:

Jim Honeycutt
Magnatech SRP
Box 29931
San Antonio TX 78229-0931

jimht@att.net or jimhtt@hotmail.com or jimhtt@gmail.com
1-(210) 308-6909
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Alan132 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:51 pm

Thanks Rich - hopefully one will work.

Never can get Ed to answer! Hopefully he is still with us!
Alan132
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HO RacePro » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:23 am

I am here! But I have not been specifically monitoring this thread. If you want to make sure I see a question, send me a message on this website. Or you can email me at horacepro@aol.com.

I buy all my braid from Magnatech SRP. As far as I know they are still in business. Jim sells 1/8 inch braid in both magnetic and non-magnetic versions. His minimum order is 1000 feet, which sounds like an awful lot until you remember that for a 4-lane track you need 8 times the lap length in braid.

Jim's quality, service and pricing is the best. I've never found anyone better.

And I have no business interest in Magnatech SRP except as a long-time, very satisfied customer.

Ed Bianchi
HO RacePro

Postby Alan132 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:07 am

Good to see you post Ed. Thank you for the info on Jim. I have used your AOL but never got a response. Perhaps problem on my side. I will try again!
Regards - Alan
Alan132
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW HO Scale