Buyer Beware!

HO Scale Slot Car Forum
From T-Jets to Magnet Missles!

Buyer Beware!

Postby HWPSlotCars » Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:33 pm

So for Christmas, my sons got me some very cool cars, including a silver chrome AW Batmobile body sitting atop a NOS T-Jet chassis, a souped up AFX red Monza, and a Gold-chromed AW Thunderjet Batmobile. They got them from various sellers at the Parsippany NJ show. The Gold Chrome Batmobile was sold still looking like it was new in its case. The pickup shoes weren't even worn. It was missing the guidepin. But no big deal, right? Well, it still didn't run at all. Dead as a doornail. I opened it up to find that there were no motor magnets! My 13 year-old who bought felt embarrassed and ripped off that he paid for what he thought was a new or almost new car as a present for me. The body is in perfect shape, and I told him I can easily get magnets for it, so not to feel bad. But who the heck sells a kid a slot car with a gutted chassis, sitting in its original box like it was new?!? So much for trying to encourage kids getting in to the hobby, eh? If the seller was up front with him, and said it needed some parts, okay. But this is a bit like stealing candy (and money) from a kid. Just not right.

I don't know who the seller was. But my four boys and I go that show twice a year. And the Bob Beers Superbowl Sunday show in LI. He'll likely be there too. My son will point him out to me, and I'll have a little chat with the guy. I'm not worried about the magnets... It's the principle. If I saw a young kid showing interest in a somewhat aging hobby, I'd do everything I could to make sure he got a good running car. Now maybe the seller himself didn't realize it. So I'll give him the benefit of the doubt to a point.

Most sellers at the shows we go to treat kids like royalty. Helping them to pick the best chassis. Answering questions. Even throwing in extra stuff from time to time. I've seen them them do it for other kids too. My sons have invited their friends to the shows. And it's been great to see how most guys bend over backwards to help get a kid started in the hobby. But there's sometimes a schmuck that can ruin the experience.
HWPSlotCars

Re: Buyer Beware!

Postby RichD » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:30 am

The seller probably never tested the car himself and was not aware that it was not running. People that sell things at shows are mostly catering to collectors that are more interested in how a car looks than how it runs. If I wanted a car to race I would not expect to get a competitive example from a dealer of that sort.
As for confronting the dealer in question at the next show it would be best to use a measure of diplomacy, if you are careful you might get a better deal on another car. If you want to be sure that you will be getting a car that runs you could bring along a 9 volt battery.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby model murdering » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:03 pm

Sorry that happened to the boys Jim.

After sleeping on it, Im not the least bit surprised. The QC was unpredictably horrendous from release to release, but the magnets were consistently good. Many just harvested the magnets.
model murdering
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HWPSlotCars » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:35 pm

I agree. I'm willing to give the seller the benefit of the doubt long enough to at least try to make good (assuming they are at the next show). It probably was a legitimate mistake or oversight. All the guys at the Parsippany NJ show have been a pleasure to work with.

My 13-year-old felt disappointed and embarrassed that he bought me a dud. I told him it's not his fault, I would have assumed the car was NOS by the way it was presented in its case in otherwise pristine appearance. We usually carry a couple of 9-volts with us to test chassis, but this one being in its box caught us off guard.

Who knows, maybe it's just AutoWorld's quality control has dipped even further! ;)
HWPSlotCars

Postby BIG E » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:31 pm

I'm very sorry to hear that story. I've been a vendor at Pete's NJ and Bob's Super Bowl (I'm one of the original six vendors there) slot car shows for decades, and have been in the hobby over 55 years now. I know them both very well personally, and they are sure to encourage kids in the hobby. Both also give away door prizes, and I do the same at my Long Island show each April. As stated earlier, it is possible that the vendor was unaware of the condition of the car in question, and a civil conversation with him will reveal whether or not that was the case. I've had conversations with vendors if needed, just to be sure our shows are honest, family friendly events. But, of course people will be people, as with any items bought or sold.
If you always attend these shows, please stop by and say hello at next February's Super Bowl show. Ask Bob to point me out to you, I'm right up at the front of the room. Or PM me if you like, we may know each other already.
Have a Safe and Happy New Year, see you on February 3rd. Enjoy! -- Ernie :>)
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HWPSlotCars » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:46 am

Hi Ernie, Yep - we've met numerous times. I'm the guy who does the 3D printed chassis and bodies. I'm thinking it must have been a legitimate mistake... everyone at both shows have always been a pleasure to deal with. Looking forward to the Superbowl show!

Best,

- Jim M
HWPSlotCars

Postby BIG E » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:45 pm

Yes Jim, I remember speaking to you and the boys many times, as well as getting to see your work up close and personal.
Looking forward to doing the same once again, bright and early on Super Bowl Sunday!
See you all there. -- Ernie :>)
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW HO Scale