[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Thinking about HO layout

Thinking about HO layout

HO Scale Slot Car Forum
From T-Jets to Magnet Missles!

Thinking about HO layout

Postby Secret Squirrel » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:17 pm

Hello, I am thinking about putting a decent size HO track up. I have about a 35'x20' space to use. I normally run 1/32 and 1/24 but I have 2 sets of the tomy lying around and extra cars. I would really like to have a wood 1/32 / 1/24 track but I just done have the finances to build one, so I am looking at HO since the track is cheaper and I already have a good start for track. Are there cars that dont have has much magnetic attraction like the super g's? Are the older auroura afx pancake cars good? Any aftermarket to customize cars like you can with 1/32? Any drawbacks to this scale?

Thanks
Steve
Secret Squirrel

Re: Thinking about HO layout

Postby BIG E » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:24 am

Steve, my advice to you is to set up a layout to have some fun on, and experiment with different cars. Since you've got some space, give yourself at one long straight of 10-15 ft. in length so you can get a feel for the speed of the cars. There are many things to consider - power supplies, controllers, and of course the cars themselves.
The original Aurora Thunderjet 500, A/FX, and A/FX Magna Traction series cars are my all time favorites, and I've been into this thing well over 50 years. I have about 200 or so in my runner boxes. There is much to learn about them, the cost of getting some decent ones to start with being one of them. You've got to know what you're looking at before spending your hard earned $$$. Fortunately, the Auto World Thunderjet and X Traction series reproductions have improved over the years, and they can be had fairly cheaply. Many clubs are now using these chassis to keep costs down, competition close, and everyone has the same cars available to them. Yes, they are being modified. Slip on silicone rear tires (at the least) are the first thing you need to invest in to have fun running any type of HO cars, besides setting the cars up correctly in the first place.
We could go on for hours about all this, but starting with the TOMY AFX track is a good place to go. This forum is a good resource to ask questions, there are many talented HO slot car guys here willing to lend you advice. Don't know where you're located, but if you can travel to some of the better slot car shows, you can learn much from the attendees and vendors there, most of them are predominately HO guys.

Good luck, always great to hear of another racer coming over to the "smaller side" of the hobby. Enjoy! -- Ernie :>)
Feel free to PM me if you'd like more info on the shows, I've been a vendor since the late '70s. -- E
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby WB2 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:25 am

I’m not sure about an HO sectional track being cheaper than routing your own 1/32/1/24 track. You need a table for both. Copper tape and paint is much cheaper than plastic track.
WB2
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:02 am

TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby RichD » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:07 am

It looks like you have enough space for both scales. A 4X12 or 4X16 area is big enough for a decent HO track. If you use a table that is wider than 4 feet you will have places that are difficult to reach in any case. I have raced on HO tracks that are up to 160 feet and I have never seen any need for a track that long. You can get 50-65 feet of track in a 4X16 foot area. Many people seem to be obsessed with cramming in as much track as possible, but in the long run a more flowing track is likely to be more satisfactory.
Modern HO cars can be blindingly fast, if you are looking for something slower the old pancake type cars can be a lot of fun. Be aware that new old stock Aurora cars are just about sold out. Millions of those cars were sold and there are still plenty of them around if you look on ebay. The danger there is that some sellers may be dumping defective cars. Johnny Lightning/Auto World Thunderjet 500 and X-Traction cars are plentiful, those may need some work to run their best. The bodies are interchangeable between the Aurora and JL/AW cars. Another possibility is the G-Jet, Thundercat, Thunderstorm or Viper Jet type cars. Those are all modern inline HO cars that have had their traction magnets replaced with weights and are normally run at 12 volts and can do similar lap times to well tuned Magnatraction/X-Traction cars running at 18 volts.
If you are considering a larger 1/32nd scale track and you do not want to run cars with traction magnets it is much cheaper to build a routed track. There is plenty of info available online on doing that. You could start out doing a trial two lane track on a single sheet of MDF and use copper tape. If you liked how that turned out you can go to something larger and more elaborate. With a routed track consider making it modular so that it can more easily be reconfigured or moved.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Secret Squirrel » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:07 pm

I run alot of 1/32 wood no mag so HO will little to no traction would be best. The reason why an HO track would be cheaper for me, is I already have alot of the track, just need to build a table. I really am not into routing my own track so I would have to hire that out which is why the cost would be more for me. The old AFX really have my interest as I always wanted those but never got them as a kid, I got the tyco ones. I know I dont think I want the old t-jets but the next gen pancakes as I heard they are really fun. My goal is to have cars that need to be driven with little to no mag downforce just like my 1/32 racing. I have several G+ and mega G cars but dang do those have downforce, you dont get a feel for the car. A variable PS would be a must because right now I use walwarts and that is way to much juice. The 2 sets I have, are the Giant and 4-way and a few other extra pieces.
Secret Squirrel

Postby eastside johnny » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:49 pm

"one thing I can't recommend enough is to get an adjustable power supply - dropping the voltage makes the non-mag cars MUCH more fun to drive!
a number of us here locally have picked up the same unit Harry reviewed here on the forums and couldn't be happier with them!"

How about a link to that review? Thanks
eastside johnny

Postby TuscoTodd » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:25 am

TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby WB2 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:14 am

WB2
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby noddaz » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:38 pm

If there is any downside to HO cars, it is the constant cleaning of the track and rails. The rail surface seems to oxidize overnight. (Well, they seem to.) And any sort of dust is an enemy of decent traction. No big deal, you just need to clean the track and and rails before use. And a good wipe down when you are done.
Scott
noddaz
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW HO Scale