Dash 16 Ohm, 3 Lamination Armature Testing

HO Scale Slot Car Forum
From T-Jets to Magnet Missles!

Dash 16 Ohm, 3 Lamination Armature Testing

Postby RichD » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:03 am

The new Dash 16 ohm, 3 lamination armatures are now HOPRA and Fray legal, I bought ten of them for testing. On inspection they all looked to be perfect. I had an Aurora T-Jet chassis in a sort of Fray lite configuration, so I used that for the testing. The chart shows the ohm measurements at 77°F (25°C). I was surprised by the high ohm values, I took a reading upstairs the next morning and at 72°F and the reading were 0.4 ohms lower, more than I expected . The theoretical drop for a 10°F drop would be 0.3 ohms.
For the track testing the car has an Anchor front end, CNC wheels with slip-on Super Tires, a CNC machined crown gear, Slottech shoes, Oogan shoe springs and a resin Toyota Supra Fray type body. The gears have been lapped. To start out the car had a Dash 2 lamination 16 ohm armature. It is still 77°C (25°C) down in the basement , the track is in the oval configuration and I used the red lane which is 35 feet long. The track voltage was set at 18.5 volts. All of the new arms were polished a bit before they were installed. I gave the ones that I put in the car a spin on my magnetic balancer, those were all very good, one of them was perfectly balanced, it spun for over a minute before it finally stopped. Here are the results:

Except for #5 the 16-3 arms were a tenth faster than the 16-2 arm that was in the car at the start. With the 16-2 arms I had to add a thin spacer on top to keep the winds from rubbing on the bottom of the comm plate, that is also the case with most of the 16-3 arms. I ran a facing tool with 1500 grit paper over the #1 arm, that wears out quickly without removing much material, so the com is probably not quite perfect, but the lap times dropped from 3.091 to 2.869 seconds. In the past when I faced off a few 16-2 arms the lap times also dropped a little.
I only have one spare Tornado arm on hand, or I would have seen what that would do for a comparison. I did run an ASRL Camaro around and that did a 2.783, I was running out of gas by then or I might have done better. That car had $120 worth of parts not including the body. Tornado arms were $28 while you could still get them.
The Dash 16-3 arms seem to be a bit faster than the older 16-2 arms, they are a bargain at $6.99 each or 10 for $49.99. A fully worked up Dash 16-3 might be as fast as a really good worked up Aurora arm.
Last edited by RichD on Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Dash 16 Ohm, 3 Lamination Armature Testing

Postby RichD » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:48 am

I thought that more people would be interested in these armatures. My basement has cooled down so I measured them again at 68°F, 20°C.

RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Dash 16 Ohm, 3 Lamination Armature Testing

Postby TuscoTodd » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:29 am

Rich -
Not sure how I missed your previous post - but very interesting info!
I haven't had a chance to put any of the 3 lam arms to the test yet (have some here both loose and in the latest chassis from DASH) but not having really gotten into the Super Stock T-jet (FRAY style) racing when Tornado, Dynamic, etc arms were available - I only have the ones that I trued and balanced myself for comparison when looking at a FRAY type application.
I've been impressed with the two lam arm performance and after seeing your notes - I think I am going to be even more impressed with the three lam!
Thanks again for sharing!
:handgestures-thumbup:
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Return to HRW HO Scale