[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Pancake Armature winding helper

Pancake Armature winding helper

HO Scale Slot Car Forum
From T-Jets to Magnet Missles!

Pancake Armature winding helper

Postby Ky.Slot Racer » Thu May 24, 2018 7:25 am

Ky.Slot Racer
HRW Master Modeler

Re: Pancake Armature winding helper

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Thu May 24, 2018 9:10 am

Mark, do you have a way to adjust the spool side to prevent overspin when the arm side stops? Or is this something you've done before and you already know what it will do? How speedy is the winding? Do you just count the winds by eye or is there some other way to get it all equal?
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Ky.Slot Racer » Thu May 24, 2018 10:30 am

Hey Rob,
I`ve set the gear mesh on the tight side, which will stop immediately along with it`s not spinning fast at all 6 VOLTS. Also plan on adding a sponge type squeegee to run the wire through to keep sags out while winding. Will stop short of the wire length and hand spin the remainder with a crank I`m making for the right side of the axle shaft. I`m going to start off with 36 awg wire for the drag arms, probably will just be experimental to begin with, as not to many people are willing to skool you with their experiences. I have unwound a few by hand and measured the length, and checked the ohm for said length. So will probably go by a cut length of wire per pole. should get me closer to 3 even ohm poles and closer to balance without having to grind to much.....I HOPE ! After I get a few under my belt I want to do some 38-40 double wire arms. :pray:
Ky.Slot Racer
HRW Master Modeler

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Thu May 24, 2018 11:57 am

Sounds like a lot of fun. Keep us up to date. Remember when hobby shops (like the one on Bardstown Rd that you and I remember), would have a pegboard full of rewound armatures and complete rewound motors in all sizes and shapes? Some guys made a nice piece of change if they were good at it. I think I still have a blister pack armature for a Cox motor that has never seen the light of day.

My son is after me to look into hand wound pickups for electric guitars. If I do it, I'll use my mini lathe, but I'm still working on ways to maintain even tension and count the winds. With as many as 18 poles per guitar, precision is going to be the hardest part... like always.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby bookie » Thu May 24, 2018 12:03 pm

bookie
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Ky.Slot Racer » Thu May 24, 2018 12:11 pm

Rick,
I think my unit could handle that. :laughing-rolling:
Ky.Slot Racer
HRW Master Modeler

Postby bookie » Thu May 24, 2018 12:21 pm

Couldn't find a chassis for it
bookie
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Thu May 24, 2018 12:30 pm

imagination is wonderful thing...
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby bookie » Thu May 24, 2018 1:07 pm

bookie
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Thu May 24, 2018 1:13 pm

I hear ya. I took a header and came down hard on my knee today while working on the tractor... on concrete. All I can think of is all the hard hits I took in football and on the job as a surveyor in my youth or years and years on this job or that before I started wearing a suit for a living. Never felt seriously hurt, even with an ER visit here and there. Now a stumble wipes me out for days and days, while the tractor sits there, partially disassembled, pissing me off.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Success

Postby Ky.Slot Racer » Fri May 25, 2018 6:23 am

Ky.Slot Racer
HRW Master Modeler

Postby TuscoTodd » Fri May 25, 2018 11:41 am

Looks like it does a nice job!
Will be curious to see how the finished product turns out!
(I have some dead t-jet arms that could get a new lease on life with that)
:think:
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby Ky.Slot Racer » Tue May 29, 2018 3:32 am

well the first 2 arms seem to be pretty good, Can't say for sure, time will tell I guess. The 38-40 awg double wind is a screaming drag arm. The 38 awg is a decent arm for AFX Magnatraction, or a fast T jet.

Ky.Slot Racer
HRW Master Modeler

Postby Norman » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:58 am

I would purchase some road race arms if you ever decide to sell them.
Can't find any rewound pancake arms anymore, it's a lost art.
Good luck, Mark!
Norman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:01 am

I have bought arms from Alan Galinko and Daniel Cardinale in the past, they both seem to be out of the business. When I spoke to Alan Galinko on the phone he said that good blanks were getting hard to find. I don't know of anyone that does rewinds now, if someone knows of anyone that does good work I will be sure to add them to my bookmarks.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW HO Scale