[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Help with Resin bodiex

Help with Resin bodiex

HO Scale Slot Car Forum
From T-Jets to Magnet Missles!

Help with Resin bodiex

Postby CharlieB72 » Thu May 03, 2018 7:37 pm

I'm new to HO Resin Bodies, but not to slot racing. Raced 1/24 and 1/32 scale back in the late 60's. Trying to resurrect some of my son's old chassis into something new. The cars haven't been run since the late 80's.

I have 5 resin bodies that I tried to paint. I washed the bodies InDawn dish detergent, tried to prime them, but the primer scratches off. What can I use to clean the mold release off.

Thanks.,.CharlieB
CharlieB72

Re: Help with Resin bodiex

Postby eastside johnny » Thu May 03, 2018 8:59 pm

oops! can't seem to read clearly. My bad
Last edited by eastside johnny on Sun May 06, 2018 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
eastside johnny

Postby sweet » Thu May 03, 2018 9:17 pm

sweet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby CharlieB72 » Thu May 03, 2018 9:33 pm

Eastside Johnny and Sweet;

Thanks for thw ewplies.
CharlieB72

Postby RichD » Fri May 04, 2018 10:52 am

If the mold release is silicone it will be difficult to remove. The best solvent for silicone is MEK, that may not play well with the resin, so I would not risk using it. Water with dishwashing liquid in it would be safe, but it would take a few passes with that and a toothbrush to remove all of the silicone. I had one resin body where the silicone had gotten into the resin itself and it was especially difficult to remove.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Z-carfan » Fri May 04, 2018 2:48 pm

Best thing i have used for resin bodies. submerse body into a contain of Pine Sol. Let it si 12-24 hours, then use a tooth brush to scrub off any remaining paint.
Then wash with soapy water and allow to dry. You can then paint away.
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby model murdering » Sat May 05, 2018 2:14 pm

Ya gotta break the sheen, or re-scuff ANY unknown. Period. It's painting 101.

Start somewhere between 800 and 1500 depending on the quality of the surface and how the material cuts. On a NICE raw resin offering, say 1000/1200. I like to wet sand after a thorough de-greasing in Super Clean. I throw a few drops of Dawn in the water so the de-greasing continues as you work. The bonus is that your paper stays clean and lasts longer. You will feel the difference in the cut.

A cleanser clean up is mandatory in my book. Somewhat old-school, but time tested. The cleanser rouge is used to scrub out the seams and edges: WHICH is where GOOD paint jobs always come loose; because of non-thorough/incomplete prep work. I have a coupla old tooth brushes for the task. One still fluffy with full bristles, and one with the nap cut back a bit for grinding out seams or panel lines.

A toothpick of the round variety works good for scuffing out seams too. Depending on how they look, I may also back track and hone them out using coarse rubbing compound. Crappy seams that arent smooth, are one of the number one causes of boogers and blems in an otherwise nice paint job.

Good Luck!
model murdering
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Sat May 05, 2018 3:31 pm

I use and have used various cleaners and soaps. Most all will do the job. I like to soak in alcohol, 70% I think. Short term, maybe 10 minutes or so. After that, I like to scrub with an SOS pad. Next I soak in a bottle of cheap dishwashing detergent mixed with water, at least 30 minutes. Rinse and sand if more is needed. I find Duplicolor white lacquer primer helps to seal down problems in the resin.

The main problem you might run into is too much mold release in the original pour. When too much release is sprayed into the mold, it seems to absorb into the wet resin. That is the real problem that regular cleaning methods won't cure. I find that good lacquer primer helps and sometimes two primer applications. Then. if you are lucky the chemical will stay below the primer.

Understand this is a chemical that leeches from the resin. Not a chemical on the resin surface.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby CharlieB72 » Mon May 07, 2018 11:08 pm

Appreciate all the replies and advice...Charlie
CharlieB72

Return to HRW HO Scale