[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Reference material

Reference material

HO Scale Slot Car Forum
From T-Jets to Magnet Missles!

Reference material

Postby dw5555 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:50 pm

Is there an online reference guide to determine what model was made and when? Not value, that I can figure out on Ebay. I bought all this stuff new for my kids back in the day. I haven't dug the stuff out of the storage boxes yet but most is from the 70's/80's I'm going to assume Afx/Tyco. The only reason I saw this one is because it was in with my box of Hot Wheels that I just sold. Go figure. I will ask this though, does the older track have any value or is it not worth the shipping costs? That of course I have a ton of.

Dave
dw5555
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Reference material

Postby TuscoTodd » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:40 pm

TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby RichD » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:14 am

For Aurora cars Bob Beers book is probably the best reference, it does not include pictures of the various chassis, the Model Motorist site has those. The Beers book is out of print, I believe, but it probably can be found via Amazon and possibly Bob still has a few copies. The book includes information on how common or rare a particular car might be.
The problem with used track is that the buyer won't know what the condition is until it is actually in his possession, that would tend to keep the selling price down.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dw5555 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:21 am

Thanks for the info. I was just surprised at the lack of Online material for basic car information. I thought there would be tons of collectors out there sharing their material but it was not to be. The chassis info was good but wasn't what I was looking for. I just wanted basic car information. I just didn't want to be one of those Ebay sellers who listed bare information on their listings. I hate that.. :naughty:
Dave
dw5555
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:47 am

There are a number of reference sites, but there are none that I know of that cover everything in HO scale. The Model Motorist site has chassis pictures for nearly everything, but does not have bodies.
Here is a Tyco reference: https://sites.google.com/site/speedinct ... /Tyco-Home
Aurora AFX: http://scottsafx.weebly.com/afx-slot-car-history.html
HO History: http://sites.google.com/site/wrrspeedin ... ufacturers
More chassis pictures here: http://slotcarcentral.com/drupal-5/cr-home
AFX Museum: http://mswaterlogged.wix.com/afx-museum
Modern HO slot cars: https://sites.google.com/a/speedinc-slo ... rison-2015
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Z-carfan » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:12 pm

Wow, great links all, thanks for sharing!
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby model murdering » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:39 pm

The Vintage AFX track can be problematic. A fairly well known factoid among vintage H0 heads. That lateral slide assembly method using the opposing "hook tabs" wasnt a great idea to start. The ravages of time age/shrinkage havent improved the design. The only people looking for the vintage AFX track are the devout disciples, those fleshing incomplete "Box Sets" back out. Of course they are looking for lots with unbroken ends.

Valuation for cars is best done through Ebay by checking "last sell" for the model in question. I went and fetched my Beers Bible for the 411 on the model itself.

Page 117 of the Beers Bible lists your red, black, and white Bronco as an #1769 AFX version, or a #1909 Magnatraction version, circa 1972 -1977. Both chassis configurations have a rarity/availability of "4" (common). The model # on the underside will determine whether the Magna chassis is correct for the body. The grill can be detailed or not.

The cottage industry "condition rating" scale of 1-10 can be a matter of interpretation depending on what side of the looking glass one is on. Excessive play wear to both the body and chassis puts it in the 5-7 range. The body itself still shows well from what we can see of it. Naturally the plated bits on this model are replaceable, if you were so inclined; but as a "4", any presumed collector value would be sentimental.

Rear tires are rubbed off on the outside edge, and she's sporting one earlier AFX step shoe instead of two skis. Your kids obviously loved it and played the hell out of it; which always makes me smile. Clearly many good hours of quality enjoyment were had. Good on ya dad! :auto-driving:

Other colors for the model are yellow and blue, with white and black accents.

Yellow was AFX only, rating is a 5. EXCEPT: for the translucent yellow version, rating 3 (desirable).

Blue was Magna only, rating 4. Im kinda partial to the Blue.

*Interestingly a Butterscotch example is documented first row (last) with the yellow models; but is not notated as Butterscotch. The entire yellow row .... is .... standard yellow, lemon, translucent yellow aka: mustard, and butterscotch.
model murdering
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dw5555 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:24 pm

Rich thank you, that is going to give me a lot to look through and probably a lot of help. Murder...Holy crap, now that's a lot off of primo info. I wish I was into HO, I'd get the book but I'll stick with my 1/24 Carreras... :lol: Thanks again guys.
Dave
dw5555
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW HO Scale