[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - What is a "Friday Night" class car? Rules and Build inside!

What is a "Friday Night" class car? Rules and Build inside!

HO Scale Slot Car Forum
From T-Jets to Magnet Missles!

What is a "Friday Night" class car? Rules and Build inside!

Postby TuscoTodd » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:43 pm

I wanted to share the rules and the simple method to assembling what has become a local favorite - the Akron-Canton OH HO "Friday Night" class cars!

The cars are based off the Johnny Lightning / Auto World Thunderjet chassis, which is relatively inexpensive, readily available and comes with a WIDE variety of body options! The class puts fairly strict limits on what is allowed to be done to the cars, as the goal is to have a fun, inexpensive class where the cars run reliably and have very similar performance. That is something that this class has definitely accomplished making for great door to door racing action!
:banana-dance:

First up - here are the rules that we utilize for the class:

TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Re: What is a "Friday Night" class car? Rules and Build ins

Postby TuscoTodd » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:02 pm

TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby Z-carfan » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:12 am

That's great write up Todd, thanks!
I've wondered how you guys massaged the Johnny L's to run so nice.
Now I have an idea on what to do, been meaning to tinker with them a bit.
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby GASSERMAN » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:51 pm

Thank you Todd. Bob..............
GASSERMAN
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Z-carfan » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:14 pm

Well Todd, I 'm following you down this rabbit hole.
I just placed a few orders based on your write up as this is something I've wanted to try.
Maybe I will make it up that way soon :)
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Z-carfan » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:36 pm

Well, my parts came in tonight so it’s down into the man cave for some work!
Todd, sounds like I am free for the 3rd so hoping to have a car to run.
I’ll PM later for details. I plan to post my progress here for everyone to seee now I do.
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:16 am

That is GREAT to hear on both accounts!
Look forward to seeing your progress here and racing with you on the 3rd!
:banana-dance:
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby RV Racing » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:55 am

Our group runs a similar Johnny Lightning-based class -- CARS ("Cheap Ass Racing Series"). Our rules are a little more open on parts replacement, but the basic idea is to keep it simple and provide a class where obsolete and out-of-date Fray-style parts can be used. We also have a minimum .360" rear tire diameter, so the cars aren't stuck to the track.

Keep on racin',
Rick V.
RV Racing
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Z-carfan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:15 am

Well Got the car apart and was able to mount the new front end and rear wheels. Of course I managed to lose a pick shoe spring, now I'm off to the LHS to see if they have any, if not where do you typically get your TJet parts Todd?

Added Note: Luckily for me Tom Thumb Hobbies had a pit kit available so I can replace the lost spring. ( Ended up buying a AFX Mega G+ GT 40 while I was at it)! :auto-driving:

Gotta support the LHS whenever I can.
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby GASSERMAN » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:02 pm

Thanks Todd for this. Bob..........................
GASSERMAN
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Ky.Slot Racer » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:23 pm

Well I completed the AW transformation, and I admit it turned a turd into a good runner. But then, I decided to do basically the same tune up on a nos model motoring chassis, and whoa :clap: what a difference. I think for the $2 difference in purchasing a NOS chassis and $4-$6 for a body should a person not already have a few, this is the route I`m going to take for our club baseline chassis. I thank you much for the information Todd, had it not been for your references and part #s, it would have been a hit and miss experiment. :text-thankyouyellow:
Mark:

Ky.Slot Racer
HRW Master Modeler

Postby Z-carfan » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:39 pm

Looks like a great build Mark. I need to post my photos. Darn 1:1 truck has been giving me some trouble.
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:52 am

RV Racing - great to hear that we aren't the only ones running these chassis for fun racing! That is a great idea about using them as a home for "sub-par / old" FRAY parts! We wanted to keep our class simple / cheap / and easy for someone to buy a car at the track and be able to have a competitive car with a couple quick parts changes so we rather severely limited what can be done. :)

Mike - for items like shoes, springs, etc I get them at Mark's Model World - for the RT-HO stuff, one of the racers in our normal group is the track manager from the old Route 93 raceway in Akron (currently closed to change locations) - he brings his parts cabinets to our races for those items.
(hope to see you at the race later today BTW!)

Mark - great to hear the results on both a AutoWorld chassis and a NOS Aurora chassis! We run the Aurora chassis in a very similar format as well! Unfortunately, the Hobby Shop can no longer get Aurora chassis from the distributor - so with wanting to have a class where anyone could walk in, buy/build/compete with items right off the shelf - the "Friday Night" class cars were created. :)
Thanks for sharing the pics of the Grand Sport!
:handgestures-thumbup:
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby Z-carfan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:45 am

Well, my Nova build turned out awesome. It is amazing the difference in running ability this change makes.

Here is the car torn down, my those parts are small!

New front end and rear wheels installed.

Finished result

Now, I need to score some of those Wizzard shoes.
Wanted to share that this is a really easy build and also to thank TuscoTodd fort sharing the information and guidance this weekend for the race. Fun was had by all for sure.
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:45 pm

TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Next

Return to HRW HO Scale