ALUMINUM WHEELS?

HO Scale Slot Car Forum
From T-Jets to Magnet Missles!

ALUMINUM WHEELS?

Postby Ky.Slot Racer » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:04 pm

Who makes/sells a quality aluminum wheel(rear) for AFX Non mag traction ?
Ky.Slot Racer
HRW Master Modeler

Re: ALUMINUM WHEELS?

Postby FootScoot » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:07 am

That’s a good question. I’ve been looking for some myself. I can find plastic but no aluminum. You would think someone makes them. Lucky Bobs carries lots of plastic wheels, so does Road Racing Replicas.
FootScoot
Mini Model Master

Postby Ky.Slot Racer » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:22 am

Purchased a few pair of these from a ebay seller, came loose and were junk, axles wouldn`t thread on, if they did they were not true. sending them back tomorrow ! nothing like the Ajs I remember.
$4.55

got these coming now from another seller we`ll see they look nice.
$22.00
Ky.Slot Racer
HRW Master Modeler

Postby RichD » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:21 am

At one time there were no plastic aftermarket wheels, so if you wanted better wheels or needed a different size aluminum was all that was available. JW's HO Speed Parts had a huge selection of aluminum wheels, but that site has been inactive for some time. I just checked the site and it looks like someone new has recently taken over the business. The previous owner was Alan Mirachi, now Tony Saccone is listed on the site.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Norman » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:05 am

I've gotten wheels sets from this seller in the past:https://www.ebay.com/itm/HO-ALUMINUM-RIM-SETS-2-AFX-REAR-AXLE-SETS-COMPLETE-W-TIRES-NEW-LQQK-2/202189001380?hash=item2f136752a4:g:GHUAAOSwxCxT99bq

His prices went up about a year ago, haven't bought any since.
They are well made, but expensive.
Norman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Ky.Slot Racer » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:36 am

good to hear Norman, that`s where I have the bottom sets coming from !
Ky.Slot Racer
HRW Master Modeler

Postby Ky.Slot Racer » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:19 pm

Thanks Rich, some really nice inventory there ! I will give some of them a try also :D
Ky.Slot Racer
HRW Master Modeler

Postby BIG E » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:01 pm

Most members here know that I'm a big fan of all the old aj's products. Unfortunately, these later production wheels (not actually made by aj's) have disappointed me many times, regardless of what brand 0-80 threaded axle they're mounted to. If you do use them, be careful not to over tighten them. Carefully cleaning out the theads with a lubricated tap by hand is also a good idea, as is using a small drop of light oil when installing them on the car. Check periodically that they haven't loosened up after running for a while. Use the proper wrench when installing, NOT needle nose pliers! Hope this info saves some grief.
In my opinion, the best threaded aluminum rear wheel and axle set was the one provided in the original Aurora A/FX Hop Up Kit. It used a good steel axle with a fully splined center section for the crown gear to bite on, and a pair of steel, not brass, jamb nuts. Good luck, and... Enjoy! -- Ernie :>)
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Norman » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:10 pm

Mark - be careful mounting those tires onto the wheels when you get them.
The tires are very soft silicone and will rip if you don't lube them with saliva or some type of slippery stuff.

Hey Ernie, I have a few of the hop up wheel sets on cars and they are very good!
Also when I can find them I like the AJ's Radicals too.
They are the wheels that the silicone tires are glued right on - got some that have to be over 40 years old & they work just fine!
Norman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Ky.Slot Racer » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:03 pm

thanks for the heads up guys, Yes I could tell when the "ajs" wheels arrived they were not what I remembered just from the rough finish. Anyway the guy is making it right, seems the supplier knows of this problem and is sending him some so called good ones for me. He told me to just keep the others.

Rich,
the guy the took over JW's is still in the learning process of making the catalog, he has no stock at this time. Said he has orders from 1-2 years back he is going to try and fill first b4 he builds inventory. Seemed like a very nice fellow through email.

Qusetion, I also havea few pair of these freewheel fronts from same guy. Do I need to crimp the second wheel so it is a press fit to hold the set in the chassis? anybody....
Ky.Slot Racer
HRW Master Modeler

Postby model murdering » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:37 pm

Ernie pretty well summed it up. Care of the threaded portion is absolutely critical. It doesnt take much to wang it to the point of no return.

On this old Tudor project, I polished some vintage Aj's, and added some etched inserts on a whim.

To get the mirror finish you have to back up a step or three. For the really nasty finished impersonator examples you may have to go down to 320 grit paper to correct any ugly machining. Normally on a vintage Aj's, you can start at 600 then go to 1200. Just chuck them in your dremel and take your time. A little water or lube helps keep the paper cutting and your fingers from burning. The trick is to keep the paper moving and adjust it frequently, so you dont cut concentric lines or grooves into the rim. Bzzzzt, then adjust. Bzzzt, then adjust is the ticket. Wash out any excess grit. Add little medium rubbing compound on a Q tip and let it eat in the rim. I use Mothers Mag Polish for 1:1 alloys, so it's on hand. Any metal polish will do. Finish by buzzing the rim on a little rolled up piece of linen or terry cloth to get the luster. I finish with some regular old automotive wax to help forestall oxidation.
model murdering
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby aviva7 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:35 am

It will be good to have JW's 'back' at some point.

I am working on some metal wheel, for inlines.
aviva7

Postby RichD » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:08 am

It looks like it will take some time for Tony to get up to speed, he may not have gotten any inventory from the previous owner. You might inquire directly about any items that you are interested in. If several people were to ask about the same thing I expect that it would tend to get moved to the top of the to do list.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Ky.Slot Racer » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:29 am

yes i sent him a list of a few items by part # that's how i got this info
Ky.Slot Racer
HRW Master Modeler

Return to HRW HO Scale