Model Murdering Garage: Why Be Normal?

HO Scale Slot Car Forum
From T-Jets to Magnet Missles!

Re: Model Murdering Garage: Why Be Normal?

Postby model murdering » Tue May 30, 2017 3:56 pm

Many thanks guys. I appreciate everyone who stopped by to look, and all the very kind words.

The Shoehorn Coupe that follows, and the Uncola roadster shown previously; were both built at roughly the same time. The Coupe required more complex bodywork modifications, so naturally it took a bit longer to finish.

Front and side views of the radius rod pivot lock.

One thing leads to another around here. I started out with a roof chop and quarter window fills, then added the integral shade, and inner rear fender panels.

Chassis

The paint is Dupli Color's Metal Cast System. In a nutshell, it's a two stage dealio. Start with the flaked silver base coat, then apply the candy/transparent top coat to the desired tone. Their metallic base has some good sized chunk. For this model I made the obligatory cut in pass, two quick cover coats; and while it was still flashing off, I backed my distance well off letting those big chunks tumble and cartwheel into the sticky base, like snow fall.

By hanging the top layer of flake akimbo, rather than a conventional liquid pass you'll get those random explosions that dance in the off angle light; once you apply the candy.

Metal Cast Red + Clear. Buried in clear, on light, the finish appears very uniform.

Comparo pic. The original Aurora Specialty Model A's were pretty herdy gerdy, but they all have rod hiding inside.

The name Shoehorn stems from the build mandate; which was to create a reasonably believable street rod coupe, using a t-jet base. Fitments were tight, and always touch and go.

Mono filament line is used for small lenses/marker lights. Sneak it up next to a lighter, and it rolls up naturally into a perfect lens. Then dot it with transparent red or amber as required.

H0 customizers are always hurten' for dummy motors and chrome. Savaging a die cast for it's chrome is par for the course. I have a box of appropriated chrome gumball motors. In this case, the "blob" motor is an assemblage of bits from various donors.

Light buckets are from a Darda die cast Vicky grill assembly. I snifed the buckets off for this project and used the Vicky grill on another project. The grill here is just a sandwich of flat stock pieces, and a snip of stainless filter mesh. For the headlamps brackets, or other lesser diameter appointments, I use the common sewing pin. Easy to work with, cheaper than dirt, and most importantly, they're already shiny.
model murdering

Postby dge467 » Tue May 30, 2017 7:27 pm

Those look great! Nice scratch building!
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby ShotgunDave » Wed May 31, 2017 3:43 pm

Masterful.
ShotgunDave
Connoisseur of Rust

Postby TuscoTodd » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:30 am

Love the builds and REALLY like the info on the details and associated materials used to make them!
VERY cool!
:banana-dance:
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby model murdering » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:51 pm

Thanx for stopping by and looking guys! It's no fun if nobody is riding along. :text-thankyouyellow:

The Grape of Wrath is the accidental hot rod that almost never was. At the time, I'd been wanting to get away from hybridized T-jet chassis; but body and chassis were about a year apart arriving on the bench. The mating of the two pieces was an afterthought during one of those annual work bench cleanups that we all dread.

The chassis arrived in a care package from my buddy Bobzilla. A junk lot refugee. Scratchmite concept, on a full AJ's Tyco pan. It was not without it's warts. Zilla knows I have a soft spot for strays. I desoldered her and resoldered her axle box in straight, after getting rid of all the extra solder; that had been added as weight. I added some rear bushings and set the front axle carrier straight as well.

The gunslit Tudor body had been chopped from an AFX Model A Panel around the same time I did the Uncola roadster and the Shoehorn coupe. I worked the quarter lights in and set aside for someday. We all do that dont we...? The someday pile?

The Hemi bit is of Hot Wheels origin, and spent a good amount of time under the knife. It nests like a ring ding around the front screw post.

Peekaboo! The front engine cowling received the same treatment.

Some vintage front AJ's were procured to go with the rears. The header fitment is snug, but they tuck neatly right in behind the front hubs.

The etched inserts were a bit too chubby to fit the rear rims, but they dropped in the front decently.

Some grill foolery was required to accommodate the upswept goose neck of the AJ's pan. A Johnny Lightening affair was perverted to fit. It's technically a "T" thing, and I mounted it to an "A", but nobody every noticed.

Here's the grill detail. I just make a solid backer, a center "U" shaped mouse hole, and sandwich the three pieces together.

With no fenders or frame rails to provide proper mounting, I went with a horizontal headlamp bracket. A sewing pin is slide through side bores and a center channel.

The specified Tyco guide turned out to be not particularly eye catching. I couldnt get into the buck toothed effect on what was turning out to be a fairly compact build.

Using bit's of this and that, I worked out a suitable adaptation of a fixed guide for Riggen chassis.

Those funny reflections on the roof are my pin strip tape rolls hanging above the work bench. Paint is Duplicolor metal cast purple candy over some vintage Testors medium chunk silver metal flake. The base is Duplicoor black lacquer. A single coat of silver flake is carefully shot onto the black, so as to leave a little black peeking through. The purple candy goes on thick enough to ring true on the silver sub base. Finally, enough clear is laid to make all my mistakes go away.

The rear rims were opened up a bit to accept inserts. The polish sequence is 600-1200-coarse compound-medium compound- then mothers mag polish.

Thats Duplicolor clear lacquer on top. The trick is to stay in the flash window. I simply decant it, reduce it 100%, and then continue spraying until the imperfections smooth out and go away. This way I can spray successive liquid coats with out fear of running or wrinkling.

I love junk box builds, especially when they work out in your favor.

The stock glass comes in any color you want, so long as it is blue. Instead, red acetate was used for winders. A truck bumper from the mighty pile of surplus chrome bits provides the front lamps.

The End
model murdering

Postby TuscoTodd » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:00 am

WOW! WOW! WOW!
That is another GORGEOUS build!!!
Thank you for sharing not only pictures of the finished build - but also the pictures/details from the build along the way - that is GREAT info!
Definitely two thumbs up sir!!!
:handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby SpeedyNH » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:21 pm

nice. and really different.
SpeedyNH
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:30 pm

Mind if I use a photo or two for the forum header?

"The Grape of Wrath" I like that. Shows my age that I remember that film :)

Top notch modeling.
-Harry

"They didn't say you couldn't" - Smokey

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby ourwayband » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:42 pm

Wow,just WOW..Great builds..Talent,talent!

Rusty
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby model murdering » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:35 pm

HomeRacingWorld wrote:Mind if I use a photo or two for the forum header?

"The Grape of Wrath" I like that. Shows my age that I remember that film :)

Top notch modeling.

Sure Harry, absolutely; and thank you. Feel free to use photos as you see fit. I'm honored. There are three more models in my "Candied Rats" series to this point ... 41 Willys street rod, A 30 model A roadster street rod, and a 33 Willys gasser.

speedy: nice to see they let our type in here. :clap:

Todd: Thanx for the kind thoughts. Im always looken' for anything that can be made/twisted into a slot car component.

Here's a preview of the next build in this series. Sometimes I have a solid idea of where I'm going, so obviously I tend to influence the direction of the build. Other times I'm completely clueless, so such as the project above, I just relax and let the build direct my actions. I have one simple rule: No deadlines or expectations.
model murdering

Postby SpeedyNH » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:26 pm

LOL
right on, slot doctor. we sure try to be those.

this old engineer wishes that he had more time right now for slotcars, but this year has turned out to be the silly season for what I do. five more trips this year...
short vacation coming up though, and at least i'll get to hook back up with the Modler while I'm down there. good stuff.
speed
SpeedyNH
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby model murdering » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:30 am

The Twilight Zone Willys was born of the seed cast here. It features a fun little piece of H0 folk history. I resurrected the Tycopro box motor on a T-jet chassis concept of yore; then worked the kinks out out before hand, on the 440 powered Thundersaurus Willys seen below.

Typically, I start a new custom build with a roached out carcass, and a debris field. The reveal will be saved for the end

In this instance, I trimmed away the chassis' original front frame rails, but left the factory pick up hangers and what not. The standard Tycopro box motor is retrofitted with Tyco 440 innards and mated to the 440 gear set. The rear axle bores are raised. One of my old T-jet trix. In this application it helps mitigate the higher COG issue created by elevated pinion angle necessary for a silky mesh. Up a few mm in front, so down a few mm in back to help split the difference.

Rather than using brass frame rails and a frame connector, the front axle beam mounts up using a washer/mount hidden in a slit on the back of the beam. The radius rods will come later.

In the end I opted away from the full zoomie pipes I'd been toying with, and went with the frame hugging fender well header arrangement instead. A Hot Wheels gumball motor is mated to the Darda diecast Vicky grill shell I'd set aside. Hidden inside the oil pan is a screw post that captures the front end all together. Usually the chrome motor acts as a glorified jam nut for my street rod front ends.

I cobbled up a firewall, some inner rear fender wells and while I was at it , some flush fit glass panes.

With the body work more or less roughed out, I could locate the radius rod attachment points. Once locked in place they keep the front end aligned in the event of collision.

Just for fun I went with the big wishbone version. As shown previously, the headlamp buckets are simply old T-jet hubs turned down. I again opted for the horizontal mounting bracket made from a sewing pin.

While I had the poor mans lathe going, I knocked out a couple of experimental acrylic headlamp lenses, then polished them up.

I scratched out a few practice versions on some scrap, then scribed up the faceting.

Perspective being what it is, I had to come up with a better plan than the stock AFX specialty rear wheels. While I love the Ansens, their jumbo lipped rear rims were wrecking all my fun. As things go I prefer a more level body line. The stockers served to tip the whole project fractionally forward. I elected to order off the menu, and take a bit of the diameter off and cut the outer lip completely off. Fortunately they have a pretty deep hub center, so one can shave pretty much at will, and still get a good mount.

A base coat of black lacquer pulls it all together.

The rear rim mods set her back on her haunches and leveled the window sills.

I was really tempted to leave this build in black primer, but it gets kinda lost on my vintage sectional track (black also).
Then there's my natural affliction for never leaving well enough alone. I'll follow up with the paint soon.
model murdering

Postby model murdering » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:11 pm

Paint is:

Duplicolor black lacquer sub base.

Alclad chrome base.

Color is Duplicolor Metalcast blue transparent with alternating silver flake metalic frost coats.

Duplicolor clear top coats

model murdering

Postby glasshorsevh » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:40 am

Mesmerizing... abstract... and absolutely crazy cool!

Val
glasshorsevh
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby strangebrew » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:10 am

Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!My eyes are almost too old for 1:32. Can't imagine doing this with HO :drool: :drool:
strangebrew
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

PreviousNext

Return to HRW HO Scale