[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Track build!!!

Track build!!!

HO Scale Slot Car Forum
From T-Jets to Magnet Missles!

Re: Track build!!!

Postby TuscoTodd » Sun May 21, 2017 9:09 am

Progress continues!
With the rain, I had an opportunity to work on the dead strip timing track pieces!
Starting with a standard 9" piece of track - I began my modifications:

Rail retaining crimps that help to hold the rails in place:

A little time with the Dremel and a round burr bit:

Some pressure applied to the exposed portion of the rail from the bottom side of the track and the rail is out:

With the rail removed I sectioned it at four of the prior crimp areas to create a short "power section" at the lead on of the piece (seen to the left below), a non-powered "coast section", the dead strip "trigger section", another "coast section" and finally the lead off "power section" to the far right. Dividing the rail into the sections like this insures no track power is transferred to the dead strip, even if running a car with ski-shoe type pick-ups.

The trigger and jumper wires need to be soldered on yet, after which, I will glue the rail sections back into the track to insure they can't move during use.
More updates to follow!
:banana-dance:
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby Broman62 » Sun May 21, 2017 5:41 pm

Nice layout and great instructionals TT!!!
Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby vabchrog » Mon May 22, 2017 12:27 pm

TuscoTodd Nice layout. How wide is your door?

Chappy I think dave Parker built a nice layout under glass but his was bigger than a coffee table he used it as a desk
vabchrog
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BIG E » Mon May 22, 2017 1:16 pm

BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Mon May 22, 2017 7:33 pm

TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby TuscoTodd » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:44 pm

After this project sat on the back burner for WAY to long - I have finally started making some progress again!

In looking to have as reliable of a connection and as smooth of a track as possible (with sectional track) - I went forward with picking up the AFX "Track clips":

The clips DEFINITELY make for a tight joint!

One of the issues that can plague joints on TOMY track is the engagement of the locking tabs at the joint. The pieces I put together with the clips had one tab that wanted to pop up (could be pressed flat - but a light twist of the track had it popping right back up). With having the clips to hold the joints together I went with a suggestion I had read about, regarding removal of the detents on the tabs on both portions of the joint (note the green glue stick pointer for the raised area on the joint pieces)

Here is the tab that kept wanting to pop up:

Raised "bump" on lower half of the joint:

Raised locking bar on upper half of the joint:

After a little work with the Dremel - here are both after material removal:

The end result? A nice smooth transition!

An interesting observation was made during assembling the curves...
I am using a mix of AutoWorld and TOMY / Aurora track, and in looking at the slots, the TOMY / Aurora has a little widening of the slot as it approaches the joint, where as the AutoWorld track did not - resulting in a "catch point".
(AutoWorld on the left - TOMY / Aurora on the right)

Not having any spare TOMY / Aurora 12" radius pieces handy, I decided to use the Dremel to remove a little material from the slot of the AutoWorld track to blend the joint. This turned out to be easier to do than I thought it might be, using a standard cut off wheel and a little patience.
Here is the end result - no more "step"!

Currently have all the joints modified and clipped for turns 1 & 2 - plus the back stretch!

More updates to follow!
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby noddaz » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:47 pm

Where is the next post? Your last post was 2 hours ago!!! We need progress! :lol:

Scott
noddaz
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Z-carfan » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:09 pm

Good stuff a Todd, like the info on this Autoword sections.
I bet that’s what happening on my friends speedway.
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby model murdering » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:00 pm

Ascending radii are the the bomb!

Go Todd!
model murdering
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby bigman » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:13 am

TODD
:text-goodpost: Great write up :text-bravo:
Your new track should be a blast to race on. :auto-driving: :auto-checkeredflag: :auto-driving:
You are using the right track to, pretty hard to beat the AFX / Tomy Track. :auto-checkeredflag:

I've been buying a lot of Tomy track, found some great deals on the interweb
I have been lucky picked up 3 GIANT Sets all complet with cars and everything else

I see your calling home Rural Ohio Now that's funny :auto-checkeredflag:
My Dad's family is from Marion and Ridgeway Oh. use to be rural :laughing-rolling:

bigman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:15 am

Todd - glad to see this one back on the project list!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby Audi1 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:48 pm

Looks good Todd!

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby GASSERMAN » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:36 pm

It's about time you got back on it .Looking great Todd. Keep us updated with lots of pictures. Bob.................
GASSERMAN
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby gonegonzo » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:48 am

Great work Todd . These little bull rings have really caught on . I'm thinking of building a new TOMY 4 lane myself and selling my old 6 lane TYCO .

Gone Gonzo aka Tom :text-goodpost:
gonegonzo
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:24 am

Thanks guys! Should have additional updates this weekend if all goes well!

Tom - the ovals are definitely a lot of fun and with our groups preference for running non-magnet classes, the action is addictive!
Hope to see you racing in the near future sir!
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

PreviousNext

Return to HRW HO Scale