Question on a vintage T-jet chassis

HO Scale Slot Car Forum
From T-Jets to Magnet Missles!

Question on a vintage T-jet chassis

Postby ourwayband » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:47 pm

Just bought some of a buddy's ol' T-jets that he had as a kid.My friend passed a few weeks back.We were over helping his wife sort thru his train collection and ran across these.She was kind enough to sell me his t-jets.Needless to say these were toys to him in the 60's and well played with.I've been able to get 3 running but am having trouble with one.I've cleaned the chassis .The motor runs in another chassis,but will not run in this one.I'm no expert here .The chassis looks good with good clean shoes.Do the rivets sometimes need adjusting?That is about all I see that could be the problem.Any ideas or help will be appreciated.
Thanks
Rusty
Last edited by ourwayband on Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Question an a vintage T-jet chassis

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:51 pm

How do the carbon brushes look? Also, look at the socket the armature shaft goes in, they sometimes get hot and deform, and they can collect crud sometimes, too.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Re: Question on a vintage T-jet chassis

Postby RichD » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:40 am

Since the armature works in another chassis it must be good. The most likely problem is that one or both of the motor brush springs has gotten bent so that the motor brushes are not contacting the commutator. The brushes may also simply be worn out. Replacement brushes are available from places like JAG Hobbies. If the brush springs need to be adjusted that can be a little tricky. Take a look at this, there is a section on motor brushes: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzLR42 ... sp=sharing
There is also a chance that a pickup shoe spring is missing or that a shoe is stuck in the full up position.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Question on a vintage T-jet chassis

Postby ourwayband » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:24 pm

Hey thanks for the info guys.Rich you were right.One of the brush springs was bent just enough to not give good contact.Looks like it has been bent before..We now have another of my friends cars running..
Thanks
Rusty
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW HO Scale