Replacement Front Tires for Mega G+?

HO Scale Slot Car Forum
From T-Jets to Magnet Missles!

Replacement Front Tires for Mega G+?

Postby RV Racing » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:07 am

I have several AFX Mega G+ cars with cracked and split front tires. They are only a couple of years old, but apparently the garage/raceshop isn't a good environment for them. Does anyone have a source for replacement front tires for these chassis? It would be great to find a more durable material than the original rubber, perhaps silicone.

Thanks in advance,
Rick V.
RV Racing
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Replacement Front Tires for Mega G+?

Postby RichD » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:31 pm

JAG Hobbies has Mega G front tires. Tomy front tires would also work. It is too bad that aftermarket urethane front tires are not available. I have put Super Tires Pro Series tires on the front wheels of Tyco cars, but the Mega G wheels are bigger in diameter and even the smallest Pro Series tires would be a little too big in diameter on those. Urethane tires are easy to sand and could be used in a pinch. Normally you would not want front tires with any grip, I did have some extra hard urethane Super Tires made and those make great replacement front tires for Tyco cars that will probably last nearly forever.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Norman » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:15 pm

Jel Claws will work too, # ST2080F.
5 pair for 7.95 from Slot n Stuff.
I think Jel Claws are made of some sort of urethane.
Norman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RV Racing » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:26 pm

Thank you for the replies! I think the Jel Claws may be the way to go. I had looked for silicone replacements, but it didn't occur to me to look at the Jel Claw urethanes. I will give them a try.

Rick V.
RV Racing
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:50 pm

The Jel Claws should work just fine, they are not urethane, they are EPDM which is also used for automotive window gaskets.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RV Racing » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:35 am

I ordered the Jel Claws, and will let you know how they perform. I didn't know about EPDM material. Thanks, guys!

Rick V.
RV Racing
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BIG E » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:44 am

Hope those Jel Claws fronts work out, Rick.
I'm assuming you're referring to the AFX Mega G cars, as the Mega G+ cars haven't been on the market for that long. Either way, lately two of my Mega G competition chassis have developed a habit of throwing off the fronts on the first or second long (10' +) high speed straightaway during heat races. They aren't cracked or split, but seem to be very soft. I'll have to try the Jel Claws myself, hoping they're at least the same diameter or smaller than the stock AFX Mega G fronts. I've gotta keep these chassis as low as possible to remain competitive with my racing buddies.

Good Luck and... Happy Holidays!! -- Ernie :>)
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:31 am

Why not just glue the tires to the wheels? A little Superglue or clear nail polish should work.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BIG E » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:25 am

Rich, I've done that in the past, but found it difficult to get the tires properly seated on the wheels before the glue sets up.
Maybe it's my technique, but I usually end up with something that doesn't look very good or roll true, even when using my LocTite slower setting CA.
I'd just as soon get new tires that will stay on the rims without any adhesive.

A safe and Happy Holidays to you and your family... Enjoy!! -- Ernie :>)
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW HO Scale