Circuit Genovia

HO Scale Slot Car Forum
From T-Jets to Magnet Missles!

Re: Circuit Genovia

Postby TuscoTodd » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:10 pm

That looks like a FUN set up and the scenery is coming together nicely! Thanks for sharing the update pics! :D
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby vabchrog » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:34 pm

Got my crowd control fencing and have 3 of the 4 figure orders I placed. I got the OO , 1/87 and what was listed as 1/100. I'm still waiting on the 1/150.

the picture below is what I want to model.

I plan on doing the crowd control fence and a couple rows of figures probably 1/87.

Then have a background photo of the stands behind them.

The crowd control fence I bought came from Shapeways 8 sections per order.

The far left is 1/100 next is 1/87 and the right is OO. There is not much difference in the 1/100 and 1/87. I will mix those together I have 100 of each. I am going to use the OO scale and some 1/87 in the pits. All of them will need repainting.

The 1/87 look too small compared to the reference photo but they are on a hill so it should look right. Looking for ideas to make the banners that hang on the fences. I was thinking some vinyl or bumper sticker material.

Here is another picture.

vabchrog
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SpeedyNH » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:24 pm

nice comparison. and I like the fences too.
SpeedyNH
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby vabchrog » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:43 pm

I built a mock up of the pits on foam board to see how it going to fit and use as guide when I start finishing off the landscaping.

I also detailed up a MEV GT Scarab that you see in pictures.

Here is a shot of the end of the pits with an Aurora and Auto World GT40s and my grandson August checking them out up close and personal :)

vabchrog
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:52 pm

This layout just continues to look better and better!
The comparison of the different scale people by the fence is a GREAT reference! Thank you for sharing that!
:D
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby vabchrog » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:15 pm

I got some stuff at the craft store called Model Magic. I have the berms in place. Once the finish shrinking and hardening I will be ready to rough out most of the scenery.

I plan on using foam, crumpled news paper and plaster cloth over the berms and the hills an mountains. I will be added rock face to the right hand side of the track and the upper right hand corner where there is no berms. There will be hay bales on that corner with some cool shell billboards I made from the movie. On the left hand inside where there is no berm will be a dirt pull off that is shown in the movie with cars and trucks parked. The Modeling Magic does shrink some that's why you see the white filling gaps on the brown. For you dirt track folks they have some nice looking red clay and a darker brown than you see here

Here is an aerial view

Here is a close up of the berms with some cars.

I redrew the Pits made them 10% smaller and drew up the start of the scoring tower show in the 3rd movie. The plaster cloth is on order and on the way from Amazon. I have to work Saturday and hope to get everything roughed out by Monday.

I saw some excellent youtube videos' on finishing off the mountain/hill scenery

If anyone runs across a backdrop or back ground looking down from a mountain side upon a town or city I'm looking for one fro the left side of the track.
vabchrog
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby vabchrog » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:42 pm

It a beautiful day here in Virginia Beach. Got the Honey Do's done and took the track in the back yard. I started working the scenery in the first turn with the plaster cloth I got.

I used junk mail flyers and a spray bottle to wet the crumpled up paper.

The only problem is the instruction say to keep the bumpy side up on the plaster cloth but I could not feel any difference.

I taped the track with painters tape to protect it. I should have completely taped the run off road. Oh well I needed an excuse to try the woodland scenic asphalt paint system :)

I am going to finish this end before I continue so I can evaluate the woodland scenic system for coloring and detailing. I plan on attaching a piece of foam board on the end with a back drop and want to work on a technique for combining them and transitioning scenes. I have a couple ideas I want to try and will get your opinions as I move along.
vabchrog
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:05 pm

I'm liking it! :D
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby vabchrog » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:27 pm

I finally got the 1/150 figures. I also found some 1/64 figures I had. I added them to the crowd control fence group I have and took another picture for comparison. I may use the N scale on some mountains or hill spectators as the smaller size would give the hill a larger appearance.

I might be able to use the 1.64 scale as fire marshals. I will have to paint one up and see how it looks.
vabchrog
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby vabchrog » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:02 pm

I worked on the track a little. Bought some cheap flat brown paint from Lowes and painted one side. I then went to Hobby Town and bought some Woodland Scenics Asphalt cover.color and some brown. I mixed some white glue with water and painted the berm then added the ground color. This is the first of a couple layers I will be adding. I'm going to cut and ad the back drop foam and temporarily add the background and try and match the flow and coloring. I used the asphalt to recover the turn off road.

vabchrog
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:41 pm

That is coming together nice!!!!
Thanks for sharing the update with the details on what you are using as well!
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby vabchrog » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:23 pm

Here is a look at what I want to do for backdrops, Its just a matter of getting them to match up better.

vabchrog
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:43 pm

WOW! When you add the back drops - that makes for a very cool look!
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby vabchrog » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:19 pm

I added a little more after supper tonight. This piece will have some rock faces. I going to get a mold and super light hydrocal from the hobby shop .

vabchrog
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dge467 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:21 pm

Those back drops look great as dose your scenery.
dge467
The King of Foil

PreviousNext

Return to HRW HO Scale