Selling my HO stuff

HO Scale Slot Car Forum
From T-Jets to Magnet Missles!

Selling my HO stuff

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:40 am

For years now, I have been aware that my fingers are just too big and arthritic to be able to enjoy my HO stuff. I had some friends over yesterday to do an inventory, and it turns out a lot of the cars are valuable. At least far more valuable than I thought. I see cars that are in bad shape, covered with bad decals, selling on Ebay for $465, and I am stunned. I have both of the ones that are priced that high, and they are pristine.

You guys are up to date on this stuff. Do people really pay hundreds and hundreds of dollars for old TJets? Is this real? I have miles and miles of track that is apparently valuable, too, like lots of single lane track, switches and Y-tracks included, as well as bridges, crossings, large radius curves, etc. When its all figured out, I'll post things on HRW first, of course, so you guys will see it all first, but I just can't believe people are paying these prices for the cars I grew up with. I guess what I'm saying is, "Is this real?"
Last edited by waaytoomuchintothis on Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Re: Selling my HO stuff

Postby dreinecke » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:48 am

Rob - some things do go that nuts. I watched a mint box of 6 Aurora 1969 Mustangs that had never been opened go for over $3k. Granted, that was 8 years ago, but still - that is crazy money.

Good Luck with the sale!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby 4424ever » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:15 pm

Rob I have wondered the same thing about my HO stuff. Don't have alot but I know I'll never use it and have no idea what to expect or accept for it !
4424ever
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TGM2054 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:57 am

With the cars, a lot of times it depends on which chassis it is on and what color the body is molded in.
Watching E-bay and seeing what they actually sell for is a good bet, also there is a book out by Bob Beers, I don't recall the title, that might be of help to you.
As far as the track goes, I think it's a hit or miss deal, the turn outs are harder to find and worth more, but the regular two lane straights and turns are still pretty common, just depends on who wants it at the time.
TGM2054

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:16 am

I have Goldberg's and Beer's books, but they are out of date. But only a few years. These prices on Ebay are insane. I have two ice cream trucks and a wrecker, and people have to be rich or crazy to pay what they are paying for them, not to mention the Chargers and a few others. Even the early AFX cars (which I never liked), are going for crazy money. I'm a known cheapskate, but good grief!
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby dge467 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:22 am

Yeah, some of it sells for crazy money! The Bob Beers book is a good guide as to the different variations and colors. It gives a scale of 0 to 5 for a rarity index. The name of the book is The Complete Color Guide To Aurora H.O. Slot Cars. Looking forward to see what you are selling.
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby racer6583 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:24 am

Yeap they are going for rreal crazy prices if they are the early stuff and rare in color but ebay those people do over price their stuff IMO.
I watched a mid sixty era T jet go for $330 on the bay it was a brown in color no box and needed tires I had that same car it was a ford J car, when I was little now I wish I never gave away the cars and tracks that I had, I had both aurora and tyco.

They where from the mid sixty's to the mid seventy's,GEE the things some of us do when we are young.
racer6583
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BIG E » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:11 am

Sorry to hear that you'll be leaving us HOers. I hope you can still enjoy the hobby through the larger scales. It would be a shame if you had to quit completely.
As for the pricing, I hope you can get the best dollar value for your stuff. Being a vendor in the northeast for the past 30 plus years I've seen some crazy things, and many times it just depends on how desperate someone is for a particular item and/or how deep their pockets are. It makes things crazy. I'm glad you have people you can trust to help out with the sale, sounds like you've got some interesting things. Wish I was free to spend a little more on myself!

Good Luck, and Happy Holidays! -- Ernie
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby KnowtoriousWon » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:47 am

Let me just say that you aren't the only one that the HO cars are just getting too small for.

To answer your question; yes and no. Some of the rare and desireable items still go for a lot of money and for me any HO car over $50 is a lot of money. I suggest that you just sell them on eBay and let the market decide how much they are worth - this is what I do even when good friends want a car I'm selling because I just can NOT predict how much they are worth. The prices in the next few winter months will be A LOT more than in the warmer months. I have sold a lot of my HO cars the last few years and some went for way more than I thought they would and others way less. Really there are only a few buyers for these old cars and this can make the price vey wildly. The important thing is to have great pictures and an honest description. As for track most is not valuable at all and shipping it can be expensive due to the weight but there are a few good pieces like some of large radius curves and specialty pieces. Just start posting on eBay and you'll find it an enjoyable diversion.

If you have any questions or need some more advice (it's free and almost worth it) email me at: RMMseven@aol.com
KnowtoriousWon

Postby ChallengerGuy » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:36 pm

I love all that old stuff but I am strange though. Ha. I just made a four lane lock and joiner track and really love the smoothness. Good luck with selling on ebay. Yup, some cars seem to bring a lot of money (like the AFX Dixie Charger - aka Dukes of Hazzard style). My friend who's a tad older than me (56) always likes to remind me how the things I like (old muscle cars, hobbies like slot cars, pinball, curling the sleeves of my t-shirt with cigarette boxes, etc) will eventually run out of baby boomers trying to relive or remain in their wonder years. Meaning, the market will crash and never come back. We were watching Mecum Auctions the other day and realized everyone in the audience appeared to be old white guys (predominantly). It dawned on us many seemed to be just swapping their collections or one-offs in order to drive something different. All the young blood are tweaking computers in their import cars. That second group does not have the interest in "old" cars. So, it may be time to strike while the iron is hot. I am sure many folks stopped bidding on certain slot cars once Auto World started repopping virtually similar (not the same mind you) copies of cars from yesteryear. Having said that, I just tracked a couple of Super II cars on ebay and one went for 375 and the other for 254 or more. Ouch. I keep hoping the people who love these cars lose interest so I can "finally" have one. And the circle is complete! :)

Bottom line, if it brings joy, keep it. If not, it's time to sell (cash out) and see what else strikes your fancy.
ChallengerGuy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW HO Scale