T jet sells for 406.00

HO Scale Slot Car Forum
From T-Jets to Magnet Missles!

Re: T jet sells for 406.00

Postby Mitch58 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:20 pm

A couple of months ago I saw a $20 Eldon go for $108. There didn't appear to be anything special about the car. Either it was an extremely rare livery that I no nothing about, or somebody needed that one car to complete their collection. More than likely it was a pissing match between two bidders.
Mitch58
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Ralphthe3rd » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:13 pm

You guys are really out of touch in the World of old Aurora T-Jet collecting. As I've seen many a rare color T-Jets in mint condition, go for well over $1000 on ebay, once saw one go for $2500...No Chit ! :scared-eek:
PS- Black is one of the Rarer colors, so is Purple, Orange and Brown, although it really depends on which body it was. Also, Black T-Jets either were molded in Black, or Black painted from the factory....which are the hard ones to tell if they are fakes.
Ralphthe3rd
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:08 am

Yeah - the prices paid for the "rarer" colors / bodies are definitely eye opening!
:scared-eek:
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby TuscoTodd » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:12 am

:) Yeah - I get my enjoyment from actually using / racing the cars with those bodies installed - so I REALLY like having the Model Motoring and AutoWorld bodies out there for us racers to use/enjoy!
:banana-dance:
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby ChallengerGuy » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:09 am

I have seen many people pay for remodels on their homes only to sell them and not recover the money invested. It's not much different. In the big scheme of things 400 is not that much to people of means and who want something in particular. I saw an El Camino tjet got for over 400 this past week. Obviously someone wants it. And yet you can buy three resin bodies of the same car albeit with a flaw or three for 2 bucks plus shipping. It's the same in any hobby. If you want the one thing, the money is the least of your worries. Me? I still won't pay a c-note for a red 43 AFX car when I can buy a blue and white 43 car for $10 all day everyday on eBay and that's with a chassis. Lol. But I still want one!
ChallengerGuy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BIG E » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:09 pm

Those Aurora Camaro T-Jet bodies in black and lime green (clean, perfect, and uncut of course) have always drawn very high prices since the late 70's-early 80's. If you want some real sticker shock, check the prices on an original Aurora T-Jet orange or brown Mako Shark, or Dodge Charger in purple or lime green. Serious collectors are just the opposite of serious racers - performance is not an issue, though the chassis must be complete with proper wheels, tires, ect. and in good condition - body originality, condition, and rarity are the price determining factors. Of course, original packaging ups the ante even more, especially when unopened. Even though I've been doing the Aurora thing as a racer and collector for 50+ years (and as a show vendor since the late 70's), for the most part my collection has only one example of each car. I've always said I would sell off my collection before my favorite runners. I enjoy running/racing these cars more than just staring at them, no matter how rare or special the piece. I do, of course, appreciate looking at a complete collection, with all the common and rare cars included! :>)
Everyone's got a favorite thing, and a budget to enjoy it all with! -- Ernie
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:36 pm

There are a lot of aspects to the slot car hobby, thankfully. Some could care less about operating, they just collect. Some just want to run them. some want to decorate and landscape a track. Others just want to build tracks. All different hobbies under the same banner.

As stated, $400 is not that much to some guys and it is all proportionate to your income. Ask Jay leno or Rick Hendrick. They may not spend any higher percentage of their income on old cars, than I do.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:28 pm

It's all what you're willing to pay. I once watched a case of 6 1969 Mach1 T-Jets (all blue) in the original clear cases about 10 years ago. I stopped watching at $2900. Whoever got them was obviously on a mission.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby BIG E » Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:09 pm

HAPPY HOLIDAYS !! Had my Easter eggs for breakfast.
Yes, I saw a person (who shall remain nameless here) pay three grand for an unopened six pack case of late production Aurora Thunderjet 500 slot cars, maybe ten years or so ago. It remains sealed in a collection to this day. Drives me crazy thinking what type of color combinations are enclosed within that corrugated cardboard vault! Also, if you think you know who this person might be, please respect their privacy by not speculating in public on this forum. I was fortunate enough to fill out my collection before the huge price spike in items with the advent of the internet. I don't think I've ever paid more than $200.00 for any "NOS" or "NIB" car or accessory in my collection, most considerably less. Looking at things from the other side, I once paid $3.50 per car (original list price) for three six packs of Aurora Thunderjet 500 Green Hornet cars. Kept one for a runner, one for my collection, did the same for my younger brother, and then sold the remaining fourteen cars "new in box" through my mail order listings for $35.00 plus shipping. This all took place back in the early 1980's. Yeah, now I could probably get $350.00 each (or more) for the same item, but I did make ten times what I paid for them, so hindsight and/or greed will not be entered into the equation here. In the end, though, I still enjoy my stock and modified T-Jet and A/FX runners more than the "shelf queens"!
Thank you, enjoy the holidays... Ernie :>)
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW HO Scale