[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Just Starting

Just Starting

HO Scale Slot Car Forum
From T-Jets to Magnet Missles!

Just Starting

Postby sweet » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:11 pm

I haven't done any slotting or modeling in almost 50 years. I just started to build a 4 lane 10' INDY style oval (Tomy). Looking at some of the builds going on here in the HO section has really got my blood flowing. I'm really inspired by member kcl, and all his "Almost Finished" builds and all the HW conversions, I'm a oval track nut!

So I'm planning a few vintage northeast modified builds. I don't know much about HO (I'll learn), but I used to build 1/24th scale hard bodied modifieds in the 60's. So let's see if I can pull this off. I'm going to try to do three of my favorites.

The first build I'd like to attempt is Leo Cleary's mid 60's modified. Going to start with a Tyco 40 Ford. The yellow lines are where it's going to get cut, red sections will be eliminated. The whole rear should move up (or front slide back, depending on your perspective), putting the radiator between the front wheels and keeping the full curve of the back with, the wheel wells (fenders) under the rear side window..The front fenders are not going to work from the Tyco body, but front fenders from a Willys will (bought three bodies for $7).

Yellow lines are approximate

Willys front fender

sweet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Just Starting

Postby kcl » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:51 pm

Cool! Looking forward to watching this build and seeing the outcome.

Kevin
kcl
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TeamMadMarsupial » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:53 pm

Welcome back to the hobby! Looking forward to riding along with your build. Love to see anyone recreating the cars that graced the local tracks in the past!
TeamMadMarsupial
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ourwayband » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:34 pm

That will be a great build..Welcome back to the fun..

Rusty
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:11 pm

We do that sort of car all the time. It helps to stretch out the wheelbase.

RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby sweet » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:46 pm

Rich, it was those cars that inspired me to go with HO. I'm going to Ashland this weekend, hopefully I can get some guidance as to what chassis and parts to buy to race in that particular modified class. The forty Ford (body) above, may or may not be used. This is the one I want to build for your "coupes" category. I'm about to see if my old modeling skills are still buried somewhere inside me. Slot cars and modeling led me to a career in autobody (until a government job came up)....The four cars pictured are so nice, I can't pick a favorite.

This (will fit a Tjet)

To this (with the door closed)
sweet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:32 am

If the weather holds up I will be in Ashland for the HOCOC race. HOCOC has a lot of classes, some of those like the Coupe class are unique, at least in my area. To make it easier to get started I wrote an article on what parts to use for all of the HOCOC classes. The article has direct clickable links to good sources for parts.
You can download a copy of that article from the Files section of the HOCOC Yahoo! website or you can drop me a PM with your e-mail address and I can send you a copy.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby sweet » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:00 am

I got RichD's notes. Very helpful.

A number of projects under construction. It might be easier to keep them here.

So far:
Tasnady Coach

I have the paint and ordered decals. It's a pretty small car, so I didn't want the decals to be to big. I ordered 1/87 decals . I can't even see them, so I'll re-order 1/64.

Sectioned Willys:

This one is for a T-Jet. I'm waiting for parts to build the T-Jet chassis.
Got some decals

Tribute "888"

I'll do a coupe in the future. But for now I'll do a modern tribute. The numbers were a deep purple. There were only a few photos of this car, and all the photos, the numbers came out maroon. The decal maker probably used a photo he could find, so the color discrepancy is not his fault. I edited the photo above.

Needs headers nerf bars, bumpers and paint.

Decals

These two are done for now.

sweet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby sweet » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:54 pm

Got some headers in today. Just finished cleaning and setting them in place.
sweet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dge467 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:32 pm

Looking good!
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby qball41 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:52 pm

qball41

Postby sweet » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:47 pm

Headers came from "Jim's Custom Rod Shop".

Got some paint done. Still have to clean it up a little. Not sure I like the BLUE headers.

sweet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW HO Scale