[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - 2019 Can-Am Proxy Round 6 Kelowna MID-BC

2019 Can-Am Proxy Round 6 Kelowna MID-BC

Re: 2019 Can-Am Proxy Round 6 Kelowna MID-BC

Postby F1Fan » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:51 am

Thanks Rob and the KSCC boys for another top notch event!

Congratulations to all those that are pleased with their result. I am personally happy that car #7 moved up a few spots from qualifying.

I will be watching the next round from the Southern Hemisphere.... :D - good luck to ALL - (time to go and pack my bags)

Chris
F1Fan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby DRW21 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:29 pm

Again WOW, such an awesome track and super cool coverage.
Thank You Rob and team for doing a great job, I bet ya'll had fun too.
I hope the KSCC guys will host more proxies.
Well done to all that are happy with their results.
Allan, are there plans to have another CanAm next year?
DRW21
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cgyracer » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:38 pm

Some pictures from yesterday's race. Decent showing with eight of us. Drivers were assigned per lane and plenty of marshals. Not many crashes as most cars were well built …... plenty of marshals so live marshalling was in effect.

Cgyracer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby F1Fan » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:32 pm

WOW what a rare sight a Springbok on a winning team!

:dance:
F1Fan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby MOV41T » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:56 pm

DRW21 Dave
The GT3 proxy will be a beauty ....
We vote on best host an these guys have been the pick for the last 2yrs
Rossko
MOV41T

Postby DRW21 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:40 pm

Hi Rossko, I can see why these guys take the host cake.
DRW21
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cgyracer » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:36 pm

Thanks for the kind comments guys. I do like to record a proxy race video but I've been so busy with work occupying much of my weekdays and weekends the last few months I did not arrange a webcam nor get a spare battery and memory stick to use my regular camera. I've been thinking of a GoPro (wide angle lens & sharp video) to record a full race. Need to do more research if this is a good option for a 3 hour race.

Rob
Cgyracer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby GT6 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:25 pm

Hey Rob and crew. Thanks once again for hosting such a well run event on an awsome track :text-bravo: . Had great fun watching the quali video. Congrats to Dave for such an absolutely planted car, to Brumos for his almost as quick silver bullet and to Allen for getting his Lola up front among the McLaren hoards. And to all builders for your machines - I'm happy with a 14th in such a fast field.

I need to make an apology to Ed (53BN1) for the tire problems with his car the last couple of hosts have mentioned - I was the one responsible for gluing tires on rims the day we did our tire glue and true session (no point both of us getting IC-2000 all over our fingers ;) ). Mine seem to be hanging on OK but I must have neglected to clean either his rims or the inside of the tires sufficiently (residual release compound on N22s?) as they have come loose. Sorry Ed. Next time I'll be sure to use that snazzy SCC tire gluing tool of yours and clean EVERYTHING scrupulously!

cheers
Scott
GT6

Postby BARC 1 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:35 pm

Boy the BARC entry is doing terrible. I see the the cars fastest race lap was a second slower then qualifying. Is something broken? . I know it is slow, but this stands out as something "broke"
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cgyracer » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:19 pm

The Barc car is in pretty rough shape from what I see.

- Two rear fenders have cracks and have a couple small pieces taken out of the fender arch.
- One rear tire is shaved on the edge quite a bit (almost a quarter of the tread face and down to the hub) the symptom of rubbing on a fender arch. This tire slips off very easy as not much tire is grabbing the outside of the hub anymore.
-The two rear tires come off quite easy as they did in the qualify video.... it feels like they are not true anymore. I'm sure the tires are not in the original position anymore after being placed back on the hubs.
-The front is hopping. Spinning the front wheels shows a definite wobble. Can't tell if one of the plastic hubs has a crack or its your axle.
- System used to mount the body to the brass chassis is leaning on one side. At least a 1/16" leaning one side. This is the same side the one rear tire is badly worn.

Not a simple fix I'm afraid....complete overhaul it looks like. I qualified the car and unfortunately it was not an easy drive, the guys had to race the car carefully so they would not crash. My advice at the next venue is if the host can spend a good day reworking the front axle / wheels then move onto the mounting system to straighten the car and finally possibly glue the rear tires (or complete tire change) and retrue.

Sorry...this car I'm sure seen better days at the beginning of the proxy. The rest of the cars are in good shape from what I can see.

Rob
Cgyracer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:22 am

Just returned from vacation last night and what a nice way to return!

Congrats to Dave (DRW21) and Tony (brumosRSR) on their race results at this top-shelf track. Rob - as others have said - MID-BC is a beauty with just about everything that you could want in a slot car track. It looks like you were very well manned for the Round - and, no wonder - who wouldn't want to drive on that track.

I would guess that there are not many feet separating 0.33 from 0.49, even on an 80+ foot track...………

Rob, I know that you worked hard to get this Round in before your schedule closed down for slot car racing - thanks a lot for doing that!

The next Round is at Aldorado, with Tom (giddyup) I'll connect you both by PM today so that you can get his shipping address.

These cars are definitely fun to build and race - takes a lot of us back to the day of our mis-spent youth...……………. :lol:

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby 53BN1 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:29 am

Good morning Scott

Scott, the thought was very gracious but it was not necessary as the preparation of the tires and hubs on the McLaren M8D was identical to how we prepared the tires and hubs on my first proxy car, the Ferrari 512BB which competed in the 2019 Group 5 proxy. The problem with the performance of my McLaren M8D relates to two issues, the first tires, and secondly, to the front suspension, and the interaction of these in a race.

The tires and hubs were taken from a Slot.it McLaren M8D #2 that I had in my collection as I could not find a set of wheel inserts from slot car providers wither in the UK or USA. This slot car was in my collection for more than three years. So we are looking at very old tires. They are not equivalent to the NSR slicks used on th e 512BB in terms of age or rubber composition although the preparation (gluing and truing) was identical. That is one aspect, now to the second and more critical issue. I was alerted by Allan shortly after my car arrived in Merrimac,MA, that he felt that the "stance" or "rake" of the car, the front end seemed high. I did not notice this during preparation. In the first race at River Run the car finished approximately mid-field, I was pleased, and gave Allan's comment little thought. BUT, after races three through five that changed. I dismantled Elford's #2 McLaren and discovered part of the problem (as stated on the specs page where we submitted specs of our cars, that I purchased individual pieces to build the car as
I could not find a white kit of the M8D). I sourced the parts in both the UK and USA). Missing from the chassis I purchased were the sliding blocks which fit into the front axle towers. This coupled with not using grub screws to limit the vertical movement of the front axle has lead to the issue of rear tire delamination. Allan's track was very technical so tire overheating it not occur but the remaining five tracks to date with high speed straights followed by complex curves tires have a chance to heat up. Therefore old tires of questionable quality combined with an iffy front suspension, i.e. poor handling, are why M8D is at the blunt end of the pack.

I assume that unlike my experience racing Formula Fords where repairs were possible at a race meet that this is not possible in proxy racing.

As you are aware I'm a true newbie to this challenging sport with less than 10 hours on plastic tracks but willing to build and compete. I truly appreciate all the mentoring you've provided to date. By the way the test track is painted so I'm ready to assist in laying down the copper

Cheers
Ed (aka 53BN1)
53BN1

Postby AndGoliath » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:18 am

AndGoliath

Postby Audi1 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:47 am

Thanks for posting, David. Tom had told me that Alan would be hosting the next Round and I have been in email contact with him for some time now.

I'm going to PM Dan (BARC-1) and see what his preference is; in terms of getting repairs performed to his car. As you say, the car can either be sent back to the builder for repairs, or they can be handled by the track host. Although not written into the rules, the intent of the repair section is that for more minor repairs, the host track is the preferred way to go, for larger repairs, returning the car to the builder is the preferred way to go. So, I'll see what Dan wants to do and will let Alan know by email.

Thanks for being the forum voice, updater and reporter for this next Round in Calgary at Aldorado!

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:32 pm

TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Previous

Return to 2019 Can-Am Proxy