[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Group 5 Proxy - 2020 edition - what are your thoughts?

Group 5 Proxy - 2020 edition - what are your thoughts?

Re: Group 5 Proxy - 2020 edition - what are your thoughts?

Postby 53BN1 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:02 pm

Hi Chris
Just wondering if there are any models that you have overlooked. I do not see any Slot.it cars I thought that the McLaren GTR might be part of the GT3 class?
Cheers
Ed
53BN1

Postby F1Fan » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:39 pm

Thanks for all the comments, many great points are raised and I thank you for sharing.

Here are a few responses to some of the above posts:

1) As Scott mentions, I to wonder if the multiple BMW entries are based on a "that works for him, so it should work for me" attitude or if these two body styles offer the best option for the tracks we race on.

I have personally entered the M1 (x2) and 320 (x2) as well as the Supra - I liked the 320 because the slightly higher CG with almost the same width as the M1 gave me a bit more "bite", but too be honest by the time I started tuning the 320, I also had much more experience with rubber tyres.

2) I know Richard has "tirelessly" (pun intended) campaigned for the use of urethane tyres, but on this proxy I am "sticking" with rubber. Yes NSR tyres are popular (BTW they have just announced a new range) but this proxy has also previously been won with Slot It N22's. I think the fact that the cars are very fast and that the results have consistently been very close says that the formula works. We have also had first time entries like Heli_CA and Camber win this series, so it shows that it can be done.

3) Running a second proxy is not an option for me, as nice as it would be. I also do feel that it would be a natural progression from Grp 5 to GT3- but NOTHING is decided and your participation is the most important thing, so I am reading the feedback and keeping an open mind.

Side Note - Scott the McLaren that you are referring to is not a GT3 car - the cars I am taking about are (2010 or newer) cars that race in the GT3 championship and are based on road going cars. The McLaren F1 was an earlier (1980's) car and raced in Le Mans before GT3 was born - there are many options to choose from and an approved list will be published, IF we go that route.

Here are just a few examples: (Porsche, Aston Martin, McLaren 650, 720, Mercedes SLS & GT3, Lamborghini Huracan, Maserati all have models that qualify)

F1Fan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby GT6 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:20 pm

No F1 McLarens eh? Shows how completely out of touch I am with "modern" GT racing :? . Well, there's a couple of listed Scalex digitals on the shelf that I guess I could steal a body off. Or maybe redo a run with "le camion plus vite du monde"* - heck if Smokio can smoke the CanAm field with his '64 Galaxie there's gotta be a place for a big boned gal at this dance. And there's a Hurrican in the mail (I hope), so there are possibilities out on the frozen prairie :mrgreen: .

cheers
Scott

* if you dont recognize the historic racing reference, Google "le camion plus vite du monde Bugatti"
GT6

Postby Smokeio » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:30 am

The white whale. Now that was a fun class.
Smokeio
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby 53BN1 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:40 am

Could one select any car listed on the website http://onlymotors.com/ on run in the proposed GT3 series?
Ed
53BN1

Postby F1Fan » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:50 am

F1Fan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chrisguyw » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:49 pm

You want something with a nice high cg.,....try the Mustang GT3 ;)

This car runs in the 2018 GT3 series on both sides of the Atlantic, and was developed/built for Ford by Multimatic in Toronto :dance: (as was the Ford GT).

Scott Maxwell, (Minigrid's owner) is Multimatic's factory driver, and has done all the development work on both the Mustang, and the new (ish) Ford GT.

Pictured at Daytona this year.

chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby 53BN1 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:04 pm

Well Chris rather than narrowing the choices to more recent GT3 cars produced since 2010 why not expand it to those from either 2000 or 2005 forawrd. If one trolls through e-bay, and other sites, or the Slot car manufacturers lists there are some nice GT3 available. In addition some who are interested in the GT3 category may have a GT3 manufactured before 2010. Cheers Ed
53BN1

Postby F1Fan » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:18 pm

F1Fan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby F1Fan » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:31 pm

F1Fan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SuperSlab » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:51 pm

Last edited by SuperSlab on Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuperSlab
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby F1Fan » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:33 pm

Please note that I emailed the survey to all current entrants as well as a few past racers. Please take a moment to complete, thanks in advance! (if I missed anyone, let me know)

Chris
F1Fan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby 53BN1 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:39 pm

Hi Chris
Forgot to mention that I am very interested in this potential series and hope to participate even though the Morgan I like falls one year short of your proposed starting date. Not only a Healey buff a Morgan one to.
Cheers
Ed
53BN1

Postby F1Fan » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:15 am

Get ready...I will keep the survey open for a couple more days, but with an excellent 19 responses so far, it looks like we will be switching to GT3 cars next year.

If you are a current entrant or a recent participant and you don't have the link to the survey, please let me know.

Chris

F1Fan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Tequila Kid » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:03 pm

Well... in anticipation of a new GT3 series. I have already ordered some Chassis parts for my 2020 entry. Going to be vastly different.

And I'm changing Tire sauces cause obviously what I've been using doesn't work well enough. I'm currently having some Chili for lunch.... and wondering how that would work on NSR tires. Do I go for the Mild sauce or the Extra Hot???

Obviously this is all just so much talk. I'll probably end up throwing a car together a week before the deadline like I usually do...
Tequila Kid

PreviousNext

Return to Group 5 Proxy 2019