[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Formula 1 Proxy - Round #1 - The River Run

Formula 1 Proxy - Round #1 - The River Run

Formula 1 Proxy - Round #1 - The River Run

Postby Audi1 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:41 pm

Qualy with comments this Thursday; race set for Saturday morning EST - results by Saturday night.

It's a sharp looking field; that's for sure.

Good luck to everyone!

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Formula 1 Proxy - Round #1 - The River Run

Postby Brumos RSR » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:52 pm

Can't wait!!!! Good Luck to all the builders
Brumos RSR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Aloha » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:39 am

Allan
As you look over the field what are your thoughts?
Long wheelbase or short?
What do you feel a good time will be?
I like for my top 5 in no particular order
Audi 1
Chris Guy W
Radarek
Old 23
Gas 4it
As always we wait with anticipation
Aloha
Dale
Aloha
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:40 am

Hi Dale,

A good time on my track is under 6.0 seconds. My track is technical, so having a big motor doesn't really help much here; it's all about handling. Many have said that these cars are under-motored, but I think you may see some in the 6.1-6.3 second range; which isn't bad.

I doubt that we'll see much difference between the longer wheelbase cars and the shorter one. The majority of the cars are of the shorter wheelbase variety and I think you'll find that they do quite well, since, proportionally, the longer wheelbase cars have a narrower rear track.

Unfortunately, Rossko's (GAS41T) car will not make the first race. It's finished and boxed up, but hasn't been posted from Australia yet. So, look for him in the second Round, as I think he's going to try to post it this week.

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Radarek » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:51 am

Dale

I would say... short wheelbase will do better.

Less weight??? Maybe

I had my short mclaren performing 0.4 sec better then long Mercedes before I decided I could do better with this...
I think

Audi
Chris
Old
Ron
Tom

Thats my top 5 :banana-dance:

3 more days. We will see.

Best regards to all

Radarek
Radarek
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Radarek » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:00 am

Radarek
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:04 am

Qualy tomorrow, gentlemen - should be fun!

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappy » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:12 am

Looking forward to it Allan. Thanks for setting this series up. I lays the groundwork for future F1 proxies , and also the idea of different decades of F1 proxies too.
Have fun with these , rule number 1.
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby GTOking » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:21 am

This should be an interesting proxy and one I am looking forward to following. It could be said we have two classes of cars in one group with the short wheel base versus the long wheel base cars. I had a difficult time deciding which to enter, a 2010 McLaren or the new generic long wheel base car. I chose the generic due to perceived durability issues the older models may have with all the bits and pieces potentially breaking. The generic long wheel base build revealed its own issues, mostly balance and grip. Very grippy tires caused the car to hop coming out of tight slow speed corners and less grip caused tire spinning and loose handling. So I chose a tire and balance set up that hopefully host drivers find driveable and will place my car in a good position. Whatever the results turn out to be, it should be fun to watch and participate in this proxy. Thanks to Audi1for putting the proxy together!
GTOking
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby arroldn » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:46 am

Just hoping my car is competitive.
arroldn
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Old23 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:48 pm

The long/short wheelbase will certainly be one differentiating factor between the cars. Another will be the gear ratio chosen with the spec motors. The stock gearing was 9:27. I went with 9:24. A third parameter might be overall weight. The rules allowed a maximum of 85 grams, but I went much lighter at 68 grams.

I only have a short Scalextric test track, and was able to try my car on a proper wood track only once for 10 minutes after a race night. So, I didn't have the opportunity to play around with alternate gearing or ballast. The Renault seemed to run okay without any obvious vices, so I packed it up and sent it to Audi1. Only time will tell if I made the right guesses in setup. :pray:

It would be interesting to know what the rest of you ended up doing.

Stewart
Old23

Postby Aloha » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:28 pm

Old 23
Great idea to share details
For my long wheelbase entry; Gearing 25/8, NSR Rear F1 Tires trued, Scalextric Front trued, ran stops on both sides of SCC bushings to cut down on lateral play. Ran MTSL/2 motor and used permatex to anchor pinion, slot.it CH 10 guide. M/ SL2 was motor of choice. Did not quite spec out to RPM that it is rated at but was a smooth power band. Added no weight.
That's it from here
Aloha
Dale
Aloha
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby arroldn » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:28 pm

OK Dale,
Here is my car.
Body: Scalextric Generic F1
Chassis: Stock
Guide:Scale Auto, guide hole sleeved with brass tubing
Braid: SCC Copper
Motor: M/T SL-2
Pinion: 8T
Crown: 24T
Tires:Rear NSR F1 SuperGrip Trued on Tire Razor Front stock Scaley Trued on Tire Razor
Wheels: Rear CBD F1 Front Stock
Weight 67.9 grams, 3.5 grams of lead in the nose
20 Laps on my Track 1.02.12 Fast Lap 2.97

At break-in the motor turned 18,240. When the car was finalized the motor was turning 17,850.

This is about .01 slower than Paranha powered cars that are about 20 grams heavier. Well it is about the same speed as my Stock Carrera DTM 18K powered car which is about 105 grams. So does this mean the car is slow? Would it have gone faster at the 85 gram weight limit? Time will tell.
arroldn
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:10 am

You won't have to wait long gentlemen...…..the cars are warming up on pit lane right now...…….

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:17 pm

The cars ran well today!

The track was vac'd and wiped down with a tack cloth before the start of the qualy. The qualy itself was run in the white (middle) lane at 10V. The order of the cars was based on racing number; starting with the lowest and working up to the highest. The cars were run for 10 laps to get them dialed in on my controller, then another 10 laps for fastest time. Tires were swiped on a sticky pad before the start of the first 10 lap session and again before the start of the 10 lap qualy session.

I'm adding some info on the cars to help you analyze the results of this session; the body type (short - classic Scaley F1 body / long - new generic Scaley F1 body) and the weight of the cars.

Here are some pics of the field before running; I wanted to get some "pretty car" shots before the body parts started to separate from cars - just kidding...……….I hope!

Here are the cars on the grid - in racing number order:

and a little more detail, starting with the second row:

We did have two number duplications; probably brought about by people changing cars as they proceeded to build and test; those numbers were 3 and 5. So, those who originally chaimed those number will keep them and the other two will race as #31 and #51, which I write on the bottom of the chassis of the cars in silver magic marker and that should make the racing Rounds go smoothly. For the sake of clarity in the results below; #31 is modernslots and #51 is war eagle river.

Here are your qualy results for Round #1:

Position / Car # / Fastest Lap / 10 lap average / Body length (Long/Short) / Car Weight / Comments

17. 13 / 7.242 / 7.33 / L / 65.7gm / lots of chatter, struggles from grip on this track, some gear noise(?), good brakes

16. 12 / 6.881 / 6.92 / S / 70.2gms / chatters in turns, a little loose, well balanced, good brakes

15. 57 / 6.835 / 6.89 / L / 67.8 gms / tire chatter, a little noisey, good straight line speed

14. 87 / 8.825 / 6.87 / S / 69.8 gms / some tire chatter, well balanced, great brakes!

13. 4 / 6.819 / 6.92 / L / 73.4 gms / feels sluggish, front wheels are tight, predictable handling

12. 51 / 6.781 / 6.85 / S / 66.4 gms / amazing straight line speed, overpowered(?), a lot of chatter, lacks grip

11. 23 / 6.750 / 6.94 / S / 68.1gms / smooth, well balanced, lacks top end

10. 31 / 6.603 / 6.66 / S / 67.6 gms / handles well, some tire chatter, a little loose, good balance

9. 5 / 6.587 / 6.82 / S / 66.4 gms / good handling, good brakes, easy driver

8. 33 / 6.429 / 6.54 / L / 62.7 gms / stable, balanced, some tire chatter, can be pushed

7. 15 / 6.426 / 6.47 / S / 64.5 gms / smooth, unreal brakes!, handles well, predictable driver

6. 27 / 6.418 / 6.50 / S / 65.3 gms / easy driver, well balanced, can be pushed, will race well

5. 3 / 6.329 / 6.40 / L / 64.5 gms / well balanced, smooth, easy driver, will race well

4. 10 / 6.272 / 6.34 / S / 70.5 gms / nice car, easy driver, smooth, predictable handling

3. 7 / 6.258 / 6.33 / L / 62.4 gms / very smooth, easy to drive, will race well

2. 17 / 6.156 / 6.21 / S / 69.3 gms / very smooth, good brakes, predicable handling, easy driver

1. 19 / 6.155 / 6.17 / L / 70.7 gms / built for this track

Here's your Round #1 qualy podium:

The race is scheduled for either Saturday or Sunday morning, depending on the schedule of one of our regular drivers.

Stay tuned!

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to 2019 Formula 1 Proxy