[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Formula 1 Proxy - Build and Test thread

Formula 1 Proxy - Build and Test thread

Formula 1 Proxy - Build and Test thread

Postby Audi1 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:06 pm

I finally got some time to put my car on the track last night. It's a long ways from being finished at this point: motor is loose, guide pops the front tires off the track, rear bearings are just pressed in. tires haven't been fully trued, no weight added, etc., etc., but I got some laps in at 8:24 and 9:27 gearing. Both gave similar results; pretty much as you'd expect for two 3:1 gear ratios.

I was lapping in the 6.9 second range and think that my car, tuned, will be running close to 6.5 second laps. As a comparison, the fastest SCCA Proxy cars were lapping in the 6.0 second range and the fastest CanAm cars were lapping in the 5.7 second range. The record on my track belongs to Matt (changing.gearz) with a time of 5.490 driving someone's car; I can't remember whose it was, but I think I recall the #70 on it somewhere......…

The acceleration on these little F1's with the M/T Sl-2 motor is pretty good, handling in the corners is good, long straight speed is down - but that's the idea behind the 18,000 rpm motors. Still fast enough to keep it interesting for me! Perhaps most importantly, the breaking was very good and that will help both the drivers and the hosts at each Round and should keep damage to the cars down. My car weighed just a tad over 52 grams, so still a long ways to go to get to the maximum weight of 85 gms;; if I decide that I want to go that far; which I think at this point, is unlikely.

So, all in all, a pretty good first experience with an untuned car. I think you'll enjoy building and testing these cars; it's quite a change from what I'm used to and it's a very welcome change!

Allan

Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Formula 1 Proxy - Build and Test thread

Postby Rleog » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:03 pm

Rleog
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Mark » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:27 am

Both of those look great!

Rleog, what wheels did you end up using?
Mark

Postby Rleog » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:19 pm

Hi Mark

I used C.B. Design (from Slot Car Corner) F1 Style 14 x 8 wheels in front and
NSR 5005 F1 Air System Wheels on the rear. In order to have the NSR F1 wheels fall within the proxy specs, I used a Dremel to reduce their width by trimming the inside edge slightly. After trimming there was still plenty of flange remaining to securely glue the inside edge of the tire.

Bob G
Rleog
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby GTOking » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:08 pm

GTOking
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Rleog » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:39 pm

Yes. Definitely plan to use F1 style inserts.
Thanks
Rleog
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby GTOking » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:17 pm

GTOking
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chrisguyw » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:47 am

Two cars (both #17, .....a Kimi McLaren, and a Kimi Ferrari) in the final stages of tuning.......actually pretty much finished, and virtually identical in terms of lap times.

Both cars were slightly used when I got them, with the Ferrari having a few more "blemishes", so, all things considered, I think that is the one to enter :D

Cheers
Chris Walker

chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby manchvegasracer » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:19 am

manchvegasracer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:38 am

Love the matte finish look on the red bull build! Clean looking machine!
:text-bravo:
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby chrisguyw » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:06 pm

Another thumbs up for the job done on the RedBull.. :clap:

Cheers
Chris Walker
chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:47 pm

Nice job Josh - and that’s no bull.....!

Looks fast!

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby GAS41T » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:26 am

GAS41T
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:50 am

Carbon fiber axles - now that is high-tech! Looks nice, Rossko - takes me back to when Blackberry was the brand to have for smartphones; let's see, that must have been back in the paleolithic period - right? Always liked the colors on those Mercedes F1 cars.

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Brumos RSR » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:44 am

image.jpegThis was by far the worst fun I've had building a proxy car. I never want to re wire an F1 car like this one, and the finicky screwing of the body to the chassis. Too tight on a screw here or there and it sits this way or that way on the set up board, fun times. That said, I am shocked by the speed as the car goes around the track with no tuning and only a handful of horsepower. There's cosmetics and major tuning work left to perform and then it's off to Sir Audi1. I can't wait to get this thing out of my house.
Brumos RSR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to 2019 Formula 1 Proxy