Motor choices

Motor choices

Postby chrisguyw » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:52 am

Hello again Folks, The Scaley F1 cars that are legal for this series have 2 distinct FF050 motor shaft lengths, depending upon the model year of the actual car......the early cars (2005 to 2010 ish) have motor with a 12.5mm long motor shaft (measured from the bushing flange to the end of the motor shaft), and cars that were modelled after this generally have a 21.5mm long motor shaft.

I have not seen/measured every car that qualifies, but, I have looked a quite a variety in the last few days (local clubs), and while there certainly may be exceptions, I can safely say that your car contains either a 12.5, or a 21.5 motor shaft.........
Nice Chris, but how does this apply to my motor choice ?? :?

Well, First the Minnnow
......The Minnow motor has a motor shaft of 9.5 mm, so, if you have a car with the "short" Scaley motor, and you are planning on using spacers to locate the rear axle/Crown , you may just squeak by.

Again, with the "short" Scaley motor, If you are planning on using the motor shaft "nub" to locate the Crown, you will need to extend the motor shaft by 3mm, or use a pinion with a built in "nub"...(MRSlotcar)

If you car comes with the "long" Scaley motor, you will need to extend the motor shaft from 9 to 12 mm depending on whether you wish the shaft to control the Crown. (If this is the case, I would think hard on the Minnow, as a 9/12 mm extension is likely asking for trouble.)

The M/T SL-2

This motor has a 12.5mm shaft, and is therefore the same length as the stock Scaley "short" motor, so , on "short" motored cars, it is essentially a drop in.

On the "long" motor cars, you will again need to extend the motor shaft between 6/9mm depending on how you wish to locate the crown. (While this length of extension is also not ideal, it is certainly less suspect to any installation issues than with the Minnow)

So, while I have no stake in either of the above manufactures motors, nor do I have a ton of experience with their relative performance, based purely on installation and execution ease, I would favour the M/T motor.

Food for thought

Cheers
Chris Walker

PS,.......for anyone looking for 1.5mm bore pinions in the 8/9 tooth range, they are available from.... Slot-it, Policar, Scaleauto, and MRslotcar (apologies to anyone I have missed)
Note:......many of these pinions have a dia. of less than 5.5mm, so, most will require you to locate the Crown with axle spacers.
Last edited by chrisguyw on Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Motor choices

Postby chrisguyw » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:51 am

Based on prior FF050 experiences, I had initially believed that I would use an 8T pinion with the M/T motor,........having now installed/tested a couple, this little bugger will easily turn a 9T.

Cheers
Chris Walker
chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Mark » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:02 am

I purchased a 2018 F1 Fauxrarri and it looks like the M/T SL-2 is a direct drop in - see attached photos. I don't know enough about these cars to know which one will require the shaft extension, but in the case that some folks were considering the new resistant cars, do know that the M/T SL-2 is a direct drop in.

Sorry if this has already been covered elsewhere...lots of posts and topics for this proxy :D
Mark

Postby chappy » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:16 pm

Well mine are stuck in the postal disruption in Toronto.
They made it to Canada but the rotating strikes have had a detrimental effect
on their arrival. I will continue with the build and hope the motors get here soon.
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Return to 2019 Formula 1 Proxy