Owens Corning Vette finished

1/24th Scale Slot Car Forum
"Home Of The Big Ones!"

Owens Corning Vette finished

Postby btaylor » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:06 am

One of my weekend projects was this Corning vette. I had a devil of a time with the 30 year old decals. Even after giving them a light coat of clear, using decal set,warm water, you name it, The darn things still broke up on me. Its not my best work, but it was to late in the game not to finish it. Its a racer, so it will get scratched up pretty bad anyway in time. I used a heavily modified H&R chassis on this one. Slotting plus guide, Piranha motor, 9/33 gears on 1/8" axles. I used my own cast urethanes front and rear, and SCC competition braid, silicone wires with grub screws. It runs really well, and fits right in with the rest.
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Re: Owens Corning Vette finished

Postby MrAdept » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:15 am

Very much enjoying your builds.
I have always likes that particular model it is very sharp.

Mark
MrAdept
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:37 am

Yes sir, nice job. Those old decals can be a challenge eh?
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby GRUNZ » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:12 pm

Nice one. I have modified a MRRC Corvette to have the open version. Will post pictures of the build later on.
Would be nice to see pics of the "heavily modified H&R" chassis.
GRUNZ
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:13 pm

I think it looks great. That is a gorgeous car and a fine example of proper race car livery, not cartoon characters, bad attempted psychedelia, etc (although I still think the "slot car Polish McLaren" was genius). It was stupid of Scalextric to make the two cars only available in a trackset (1/32nd, of course). I think they finally got the roadster out by itself, but I never heard about the coupe version being sold without the set. Maybe they did, I don't know.

Bob, I'm going to send you a miracle product. I have so many antique decals around here, and my shop is so blasted hot, I had to do something. It turns out that the film that makes a decal is available in a fine spray made specifically for that purpose- saving old decals. When I found it I ordered two cans and I have only used a little bit of the first one, so you get the other one so it doesn't sit here and get old (if that matters, I have no idea). Every time I have used it, it works perfectly, even when the decal looks cracked on the sheet. The film simply makes a new decal over the old one and when it goes on the car, it is solid. I still have your address, so you should get it this week.
Last edited by waaytoomuchintothis on Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby btaylor » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:16 pm

That would be fantastic! I have a huge batch of vintage decals. I have made some work successfully, most, not so much. I would love to try this magic you have!

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby 4424ever » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:25 pm

Nice car Bob :music-rockout: did I just hear the theme song from Twilight Zone :violin:
4424ever
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HRWJim » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:01 pm

IT looks great to me. I think I have that model somewhere?
HRWJim
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:38 am

That is a great looking livery and a great looking build! :D
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Return to HRW 1/24 Scale