[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Stuff I been doing

Stuff I been doing

1/24th Scale Slot Car Forum
"Home Of The Big Ones!"

Stuff I been doing

Postby mattb » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:22 pm

I haven't posted any pix of my latest projects, so today I took pictures and am catching up. Just some fun stuff,
some cars to actually race and some cars that should have been.

First up is the 65 Foyt car using one of my bodies and decals from Indycals.
P1010025.JPG

This Corvette Daytona Pace car was found at the local model show a few weeks ago and was a natural for our Monday nite trans am car racing.P1010023.JPG

This is something I've wanted to do awhile. I love this Duplicolor Metalcast and the candy look it produces. A Batmobile was a natural for it. Classic should have offered these cars in several candy colors and they would have sold even more!
P1010001.JPG

a few more to follow
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Stuff I been doing

Postby mattb » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:32 pm

A fun car built from the 1/18 scale Monogram Midget Racer and using the old Fred Cady Sheraton Thompson decals.
P1010031.JPG

This is a 1963 issue Monogram 55 slot car. I've had a few of these cars from MIB kits to just old used cars. I sometimes search them in the ebay model car listings. i figure there must be a few of these old bodies thrown in with some kids old model car stuff back in the 60's. This one was found that way, it was missing the top and the wheel wells were cut pretty bad, but it was the real deal with the two slot car mount posts molded in the back. It is the only 55 Monogram made with those posts, they were removed for every model issue using this mold. Since the cars is yellow, a top from the Badman release fits and is close the same yellow color. I put a couple light coats of Testors Daytona yellow and it is the same color as original. Put it on an original chassis and it's a nice looker.
P1010029.JPG

This is a Titan II Batcar. Nothing fancy, but I did find a new body and figured it would look good with that candy red paint.
P1010028.JPG
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:44 pm

An orignal Monogram Tbird that I had in pieces and was a glue bomb. found an old built up for $7 that was apart and busted up at the model show, but it had the pieces I needed to fix this one, so this project finally got done.
P1010034.JPG

This 2e is an old vac body from Bruce Patterson. I had soldered up a chassis and figured out how I wanted to do the wing and then it sat for a year or so. This red looks so good I figured I would it would make a neat Chaparral.
P1010033.JPG

I gave a 55 Nomad drag car to a local guy and he gave me the chassis back. I guess it wasn't up to his standards!! I had this body left from a kit Iused for parts, out came the red and here it is. This will get run at a local guys house on his short 1/8 mile drag strip. I did a test run on the 1/4 mile at the local track and it does what I want, It lifts the front end about an inch for 8-10 foot then settles back down smoothly. P1010032.JPG
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:50 pm

This 34 body was in with the 55 Chevy model lot. I had a chassis un-used, so out came the red! No motor but that is all it needs to be a Monday nite hot rad class warrior.
P1010037.JPG

Got a couple nice Banshee bodies from Scott Macleod. I always liked the red one, so.......... I have a correct chassis,
but it is on a Garvic chassis with the pink motor now. It was built to play with and race carefully. Probably will just leave it on the Garvic and keep the BZ for another Batmobile or correct BX car.
P1010035.JPG

I have a few more in progress and post up some more pix in the future. I would re-size these pictures if there was a simple way to do it that could be explained simply!!!!
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Ky.Slot Racer » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:29 pm

Nice rides Matt, particularly the yellow 55, just one of those cars that don`t need a decal to look like a racer.
Now that NCAR has lost their most popular boy, along with a few others this year. They may take the crowd back drop idea you have, rather than coloring the seats to look more populated. :D
Ky.Slot Racer
HRW Master Modeler

Postby mattb » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:16 pm

Mark, I think Nascar got all the tarps Harbor Freight had and they are probably trying to think of how to make it look like they have a crowd and still have fans at the races! I got the backdrop from a modeler and pulled it out today to see how it would look. I think I am going to get some copies made and make something permanent for display and picture taking.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Broman62 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:38 pm

Very nice rides MB...YEPPER that yellow ‘55 is the bomb!!! And the ‘55 Nomad is sweet!!
Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:31 pm

You've been busy. The cars look good.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Lou E » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:09 am

Wow, you have been doing some work! Very nice cars.
Lou E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:53 am

This is about 3-4 months work. I haven't been posting any of my projects for quite awhile. This kind of catches up all the stuff I have been doing this summer. This forum is made up of more builders and doers than most anywhere else on the net. Even though I do 1/24, my interests seem more at home here than anywhere else. I enjoy seeing the cars and tracks everybody here builds.

The creativity here is very much like back in the 80's. We mostly made everything we needed back then, there were no suppliers, just old stuff we traded around and old parts we had. Still a few guys here that were part of the first AOL Hobbies forum for slot cars. There were only a few of us back then, but we all worked together to learn how to make tires, cast bodies and parts, wire up those old 1960's tracks. We were reviving a pretty much dead 1960's hobby.

All you guys have the same spirit and the same ingenuity like we had back then. I respect all this talent more than most over the counter racers!!!

mb
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby woodman » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:53 pm

Nice...sure have oldies there.....Any one making any 1/24 Indy resin bodys?
woodman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:49 pm

I do a decent Watson Roadster, Lotus 38, Indy Eagle, 57 Epperly roadster that needs more work, mold is not real good, but I was lucky to even get a body to copy and I couldn't do any mods to it. Most of these build pretty good.

P1010018.JPG
jim clark lotus.JPG
novi.JPG
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW 1/24 Scale