[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Not midgetracers but 1/24 dirt track/champ cars

Not midgetracers but 1/24 dirt track/champ cars

1/24th Scale Slot Car Forum
"Home Of The Big Ones!"

Not midgetracers but 1/24 dirt track/champ cars

Postby mattb » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:51 am

The 3 colored cars are built with Big Donkey dirt track bodies, the white ones are bodies I made a few years ago.
I wanted some cars to run on my home track that would run good and be easy to drive. I wanted something visitors could run and have fun with. I first got a set of Monogram Greenwood Corvettes and put urethane tires on them. They were really shi**y cars. without a magnet you wouldn't even be able to make a lap. I thought about fine tuning them and maybe putting brass chassis under them, but I came to my senses and realized I could build a new/better car just as easy, so I decided on the dirt trackers. The other factor is that on a 4 lane Carrera track those little Monogram cars look lost, a bigger car is much more visually satisfying on a wider longer track. These cars are fun and pretty easy to drive. They all run the MT (Mark Thomas) motors that we used to run in our commercial track cars.

They are mostly geared around 4 to 1. The frames are all brass, either Sprintsplus cut and extended or just motor bracket and front axle bracket soldered to 1 inch wide brass. No more urethane tires, silicone coated sponge is a little quicker and stickier and it's what we run on all our cars, so other guys cars grip fine, too.

These cars are fun to race and easy to drive and anybody that comes in can have fun with these cars. I have molded a "T" track roadster body and built a similiar style car for the home track and it looks really promising in the first trial runs. It is pretty small, but still 1/24 scale. I'll do some pictures of this car when I finish detailing it.

Building these cars also gives me a chance to use a lot of the 1960's parts I have that don't get used on a commerial track cars.

P1010006.JPGP101000733.JPG
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Not midgetracers but 1/24 dirt track/champ cars

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:53 am

Nice projects and one heck of a nice looking grid!
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby btaylor » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:26 pm

Great group of slots right there! Fun looking cars for sure.

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby glasshorsevh » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:10 pm

Love those! That is a really, really cool grid!

Val
glasshorsevh
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Broman62 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:18 pm

Those are soooooo cooool Matt...beautiful lineup!!
Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Quickcars » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:50 pm

Those look awesome. I think I'll build one of these for my grid as well.

Well done Sir!!

QC
Quickcars
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:00 am

You can get a nice body with all the trim from bigdonkey resins. They are big enough it is easy to build a 1 inch wide chassis from flat brass... I did cut a piece of wood an inch wide with rounded ends. I take the bodies and use hot water to soften them, then put the wood in the underside to hold it apart while it cools. Makes the chassis fit easier.

I appreciate the good words. These are not great artistic works, but fun cars you are not afraid to race in anger!! I do try to balance the detail and finish work of cars we race with the banging and destroying they get sometimes. I did build one car more to look at then race and I've put this pic up here before. I tried to build it similiar to the great Midget Racers some of you guys build.

P1010005.JPG

My best car is the Hot Wheels Trans Am Camaro driven by Jack Baldwin. It got so tore up, I built a second model to have a nice body again. Within 2-3 months, it is in worse shape then the original body. Next time I will just build the model and put it on a shelf to look at, but race my old wreck!!! The body style is just a great aero design and the paint is really eye catching. The junky old cut in half womp frame is the best handling of all my cars! It's a beater, but it sure runs good!

P1010008.JPG
Last edited by mattb on Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby strangebrew » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:08 am

Impressive lineup..... :clap:
strangebrew
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappy » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:21 pm

Nice job Matt, they look really good and enticing to give a try at.
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby mattb » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:59 pm

These cars are not great models, or highly detailed, but they go together quick and are easy to run. If something breaks, a little glue makes them right again!
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby GASSERMAN » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:11 pm

Really nice job on the Midgets Mat. Beautiful looking. Bob.................
GASSERMAN
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW 1/24 Scale