Monogram 80'S Indy cars.

1/24th Scale Slot Car Forum
"Home Of The Big Ones!"

Monogram 80'S Indy cars.

Postby btaylor » Sat May 20, 2017 9:48 am

Has anyone on here done a slot conversion of the 80's Monogram indy series cars in 1/24?. I would love to see some pics, and hear about any pros and cons of the build.
thanks

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Re: Monogram 80'S Indy cars.

Postby mattb » Sat May 20, 2017 3:39 pm

Bob, that's not really my favorite type of Indy cars, but I thought about doing one. Trouble is there are too many glue on pieces for the hard racing we do. Go for it and see how it goes.

mb
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby btaylor » Sun May 21, 2017 3:59 am

Well, That's my plan Mb. My thinking is, if I can get these midgets to hold up racing, the indy cars shouldn't be much harder. The front wing will be the weak spot I believe. Looking at them on line, I noticed they are pretty cheap to buy, and come with a driver figure and good decals. I like the vintage cars better, but need some diversity on track now and then. We will see what happens in the next few days. I won a couple in a lot auction on the bay, so not much invested if they fail. From what I see, the rear transaxle assembly might be tricky to hide the crown gear too. Looks like a good challenge though!
Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby btaylor » Fri May 26, 2017 12:31 pm

Not going to make Indy with them this weekend, but not far behind. Should have a roller by tomorrow. got these three last night, two more on the way.
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri May 26, 2017 1:21 pm

Nice kits. This is what we need in 1/32, something classic from this era representing this great event.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Z-carfan » Fri May 26, 2017 1:44 pm

Oh Bob now your after my favorite Indy cars!!

I have a mess of theses and the Revel Reynards. I never thought about slotting them. I will be watching, you have a fan here. :banana-dance: :auto-driving:
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby btaylor » Fri May 26, 2017 2:41 pm

Well, these things are a natural for the H&R Chassis. the multiple body pieces can be test fit, then epoxied together. the bottom center section needs cut away, and mounting will be a breeze. the full interior tub and full driver can be used. rear transaxle will be a challenge to make look realistic, but it can be done. I will make the rear wing from brass sheet and solder to the chassis. the front wing will just have to be plastic for now. I can see these being a big favorite around here!
Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby HRWJim » Fri May 26, 2017 9:11 pm

I like this fantastic idea. I'll be watching these too.
HRWJim
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Sat May 27, 2017 6:38 am

I love these cars and the era of Indy they represent. Looking forward to seeing your end result
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Sat May 27, 2017 7:11 am

Great start Bob. That model looks to be one piece, that is a plus. I got a couple built ups quite a few years ago and most everything was glued on. After a few minutes, I gave up any idea making them slot cars.

The main one I wanted to do was Rick Mears Pennzoil car, but it was loaded with parts!!
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby btaylor » Sat May 27, 2017 9:34 am

Matt, these bodies are multiple pieces. when epoxied together, they become stronger than a single piece unit. The floor pan is thick enough to hold body screws very well also. I put a hundred laps on this one today for fun. I am going to build a brass chassis for the next one with more suspension detail. the rear wing on this is thin brass sheet bent to the same shape as the speedway wing in the kit. It should hold up pretty well.
Im sure the mirrors will get lost soon, but for now, it looks pretty good and runs fantastic! those big meats on the back are urethanes and they really bite. I used a piranha in this one cause that's what I had on hand.
I think one could add, or eliminate as much detail as they wanted on these, depending on how they would be raced. I need to spend more time on the rear end area, but it is not really needed to race them.
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby mattb » Sat May 27, 2017 10:09 am

That's nice! Maybe I'll try to do the Pennzoil car in the near future. If you want front suspension detail, one easy way is to get a Cox F1 car front plastic axle holder. They look OK and don't require a bunch of soldering and time.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby btaylor » Sat May 27, 2017 3:27 pm

I put the Raynor car to some serious laps today. After tuning and tweaking, and truing, this thing flat out fly's! I also got a good start on Little Al's car, Some of my favorites are the Unser Valvoline cars.
Here is a screen shot after countless test laps. I turned on the timer to see what she would do. I was pleasantly surprised!
Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby Cincyslots » Sat May 27, 2017 4:16 pm

Very cool!
Cincyslots
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Broman62 » Sat May 27, 2017 4:59 pm

WOW BT....that turned out awesome!!! :auto-driving: :auto-driving:
Broman62