[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Home Racing World • View topic - NEW 1/24 BRM NSU chipped for Carrera

NEW 1/24 BRM NSU chipped for Carrera

1/24th Scale Slot Car Forum
"Home Of The Big Ones!"

NEW 1/24 BRM NSU chipped for Carrera

Postby Cincyslots » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:30 am

I stumbled across a post on another euro forum talking about the BRM NSU. So I brought 2 in to check them out. These things are cool as heck. Of course we run pretty much Carrera digital only, so we needed to chip it. It took some modding but my buddy had all the answers. We, well he, got it running last night. It runs well but I'll need to add some weight and I am molding tires as I type. Should have those ready any minute. He are some pics.

Bruce

Cincyslots
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: NEW 1/24 BRM NSU chipped for Carrera

Postby goosenapper » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:33 am

What is your take on the rear axle set-up, or is it too early to tell?

I'd imagine it's difficult to gauge the car's performance against others as this is really the first of its breed. It looks like at the very least, cornering would be improved. (assuming of course that you're able to fit tires that give decent grip)
goosenapper
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cincyslots » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:45 am

Goose, I didn't get to run it very long last night. We finished up around 11pm. I have tires curing now so that shouldn't be a problem. We'll know for sure tomorrow. When I was running it, I took it easy. I didn't want to break it on the maiden voyage. I was surprised that the 1 deslot that I had, the car just came out of the slot in the corner. It looks like it should want to roll over but it never did. I know it's a bit out of the average slot car buyers price range but it is definitely worth it to me.

Bruce
Cincyslots
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Czar » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:31 am

Buce, did you just heat the posts on the exciter lamp for it to drop out? Then you soldered wire to the posts and back to the holes in the circuit board? That is some very slick work.
Czar
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cincyslots » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:03 am

Yes. I use "we" loosely. We moved the lamp from the board and chucked it. Normally the heat kills it. We then soldered wires to a new one and the ran the wires to the chip. We've done this to a few cars now. We did it to this one too.

Bruce

Cincyslots
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dangermouse » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:45 am

A few of the chaps I race with and I decided to buy some of these great little cars. We picked up 3 NSU and 3 Simca - at this stage we have only done a few test laps without any series tuning happening. I expect with the holidays we will find some time to run a few laps with them.

They look a lot better than the photos - they are really well put together - the rear wheels have camber on them - it will be fun to test this out. They look great - 'For those of you who normally race 1/32 cars' I know they are more expensive than your average 1/32 car but I think you will find they will be worth it. They are a little bigger than a Ninco Hummer but are way more planted.

I will post some videos and photo once we race them...

cheers
David
Last edited by Dangermouse on Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cincyslots » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:16 am

Not that it matters but these are 1/24.

Bruce
Cincyslots
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dangermouse » Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:53 pm

:?:
Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cincyslots » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:01 pm

It sounded like you where comparing these to 1/32 cars when they are 1/24. Like I said, not that it matters just more FYI.

Bruce
Cincyslots
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dangermouse » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:05 am

Ah I understand - with your title I was a bit confused :) the size comparison was more for people who might have thought they couldn't run a 1/24 car on their track because they didn't have the lane spacing etc.
Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cincyslots » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:23 am

I've been enjoying mine. I'm working on the gear mesh now.

Bruce
Cincyslots
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dangermouse » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:15 pm

I adjusted the position of the pinion slightly and I am happier with my mesh now. The wheels can be hand turned more easily now. Have you done anything with the camber Bruce?
Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cincyslots » Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:27 pm

not yet, I oiled the motor and ran rubbing compound in the gears for 1/2 an hour or so. It's pretty quiet now. I've not messed with the rear axle but I will tomorrow. While the wheels turn, I feel they may need to be loosened up a little in the bearings. I loosened the 4 screws under the front axle mounts and the helped free up the front end. All good there now.

Bruce
Cincyslots
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dangermouse » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:51 am

We had a blast running these today - really gave them a good work out. They are such a hoot to drive. Very nicely balanced and with the right amount of tail action to make for some fun racing.
We noticed a couple of things - the stock rubber tyres hook up well but get soft and marble quickly - car was still quickest with them on. slot.it foam tyres fit on the rims - but need sanding down. The car is as quick with these tyres but tended to leave the slot (too much grip) on a couple of corners. I made some urethane tyres - the car went well but not as quick as the stock tyres - they may need glueing on. You will see the size of the track in the video - we had them doing 9.3-9.5 secs as a reference point - 1/24 Carrera GT40 and P330 will do 8.4secs and the modern GT are doing 8.7secs (magnets)- are well set up 1/32 car with magnets is doing low 8s as well.

Here are a couple of videos.

slow motion
Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cincyslots » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:16 am

That's a cool track.
Cincyslots
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to HRW 1/24 Scale