Firecracker 400

1/24th Scale Slot Car Forum
"Home Of The Big Ones!"

Re: Firecracker 400

Postby cdtanner » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:48 pm

Nice looking cars. I really like 1/24 hardbody slot cars.
cdtanner

Postby chappy » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:54 pm

Good to see Matt , looks like a great field for a lot of fun.
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby mattb » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:25 pm

That is the track we fun race on Monday nites. We run the same motor/chassis/bodies as the class racers that run 9.45 seconds. We manage to get our cars in the 8.2-8.5 range compared to the class racers that breakout at 9.5 and higher. Our Canam bodies cars run Plafit Fox motors and get into the high 7 second range with the same one piece brass chassis.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby bill from nh » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:50 am

Matt, which one-piece brass chassis are you using with the Fox?
bill from nh
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:06 am

With the Fox we are using three frame variations. They are: extended Womp frames with brass underneath, or we use the new two piece AMT junk frames with a brass pan underneath, or a forged rear bracket soldered on a brass pan with a front axle carrier made from brass soldered to the same pan. All the frames must be rigid with no hinges. Tuning comes down to ride height, weight and proper weight location, gearing and body float and usual attention to details.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:11 am

Because of the breakout rules in this style of racing, practice and experience on all lanes is critical to running lap after lap right above the breakout time. I don't think I could ever race with one eye on the clock and have that consistency. I always kid the guys that do race by telling them if I even attempted to run this format, I would just pick out the best, most consistent driver on the track and then try to just pace myself with that car for every lap. I would forget about actually racing the other cars, I would just follow the best car and then try to pass him on the last lap!
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:44 am

Looks like a good time! :)
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby BIG E » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:57 pm

Those breakout races will definitely keep you honest!
What type of chassis/motor combination are you running there?
Last hardbody race we had on the King here was NASCAR trucks running Parma FCR chassis, stock Parma Deathstar 16D motors, 9 tooth pinion and .910 Pro Track rear tires.
If I remember correctly, we were running in the mid 8 second range on lap times. The track here is used mainly for those #%$*! wing car races, so the power's at about 13.5 volts.
I qualified on the pole, lead the first 6 heats, and started to loose the motor in heat #7! Heat #8 was a smoke show from my FORD F150!
In order to finish first, you must first finish! Enjoy the races -- Ernie :>)
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby arroldn » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:05 pm

Matt,
I had planned to be there myself but had death in the family and was in Chicago. I plan to go next Tuesday night when they run Gran Nationals and then the Cup cars. I have a new 72 Charger waiting for the body to be mounted plus a new Cheerios Dodge. Since I only get there about 6 times a year it hard to get the balance in 2 hrs. Last time I was there I think I only broke out 3 times. That's what will kill you. Don't you just hate when you run a 9.444 or 9.443!

Bill the cars use a H&R Chassis with an MT/5 motor and ProTrac Tires. The motor choice has changed over the years. Started with mostly NC5s then H&R Hawks. But when Mark aka KY Sloter came up with the MT line of motors all classes at Bullitt now use the MT/5 motor.

Maybe we will meet one day.

Arrold
arroldn
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby k0z0oo1 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:43 pm

Arroldn, nice looking cars! The semi-local Bloom Raceway (where we host a round of the Forums Cup) runs a similar H&R class, 40k H&R Motors and stock car bodies with pro track tires.
k0z0oo1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:15 pm

You must be a Petty fan!! The Mark Thomas motors are 15,500 rpm, I think. We find a little variation in the motors, but not really a lot. For cheap Chinese motors, they are fairly consistent.

The bracket guys add a bit of weight to the H&R chassis, but they do not allow added on brass pans like we run on our outlaw cars. They allow some weight under the side kick ups, but not under the center frame portion. All cars require a full interior. The trick seems to be a heavy car that corners pretty easy. With out excess weight and optimum gearing the cars would run a second or better per lap. The heavy car is a plus for this kind of racing. You actually are taking speed out of the car. On the king I like most of the weight on the right side of the frame. I don't know if that is really any advantage, the other guys still beat me pretty regular on our play nite!!
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby arroldn » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:49 pm

Matt,
Met the King at Fairgrounds Speedway when a kid about 13 I think. Will be 63 Saturday. I have always liked racing in most formats. Petty Fan yes. My brother has dropped the sport. No more MOPARS. I recall Richard saying if you didn't stick with me when I ran Fords or Pontiacs you were not a Petty Fan but a Chrysler Fan. I now pull for Team Penske the last of the Dodge boys. Even though they drive Fords. When Dodge came back I pulled for all the Dodge teams. Team Petty just can't seem to make anything stick for the last 8 or more years. They break into the top 10 on occasion but that's about it.

The Charger is to replace my busted up 71 Plymouth Satellite and the Cheerios car will replace the Kyle Petty Peak Pontiac which has also seen many days at Bullitt. Cracked left front fender. The duck tape/bear bond just doesn't look good.

I hope to have them both ready to run next week. Well the Cheerios car is ready. Using the chassis from the Pontiac which finished 5th the last time I was in Derby. I've run the Satellite for 6 years now and the hot glue has held it together but its looking rough. Time to send it into retirement. I have a SuperBird in the closet which needs building.

Where does all the time go??

Arrold
arroldn
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:45 am

Kyle ran that Hotwheels Nascar. It's a great looking design, kind of a sister to the Jack Baldwin Hotwheels Camaro I run. One of our group is building a Superbird. He is doing the purple Ray Nichols 99 car that Charlie Glotzbach drove. Most of us car guys up here know each other and Chargin' Charlie is friends with most of us. Charlie is not crazy about autographs as he has been beat out of a lot of the $ guys get today for likeness and such, but he said he would sign this slot car when it gets finished.

It's got to be hard for you to only race a few times a year and be good on all the lanes and around the bracket time. I figure the guys that run all the time are bound to be really consistent on all lanes. It's about having fun, winning is secondary.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby arroldn » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:01 am

True about the having fun. I make most of my trips on Saturdays. Just have to know which cars are being run. They post most of the events now on the Bullitt Drag page than the Bullitt Speedway page. I don't have a current modified car built. So unless I call Skip before making the trip on a Saturday I know whats run on Tuesday and Thursday. But a weekday trip is a lot of driving for a shorter track experience. Why I don't do many of them. Passed through Indy on the trip to Chicago. May be tempted to come that way. I think its a 4.5 hr drive from Nashville.
Are you running mostly 1/32 or 1/24 scale?

Arrold
arroldn
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby woodman » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:22 pm

Im with Big E.quote: The track here is used mainly for those #%$*! wing car races, so the power's at about 13.5 volts. Same with our king track , .......

We run extended womp hardbody 60s stockers on a 1/24 scale 1/4 mile 6 lane oval......hawk 7 48,000 rpm motors with 9.8v track voltage....
Trying to intruduce a hardbody nastruck class with a 40.000 H&R motor and parma 4 1/2" fcr chassis...
woodman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to HRW 1/24 Scale