[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - New Inserts for Strombecker Porsche RS 61 - part 1

New Inserts for Strombecker Porsche RS 61 - part 1

All about the next generation of our hobby. From vendors to independent artists.

New Inserts for Strombecker Porsche RS 61 - part 1

Postby PetesLightKits » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:12 pm

A while ago I picked up a well used Strombecker Porsche RS 61. The body was in good shape, but was missing driver head(s) and any kind of windscreen. I did a fantasy livery (the rocker panel PORSCHE logo decal being something not to be seen in real life for a few years). For inserts I used some leftover steel look alike rims that either came with this car or some other car as spare parts (I really can`t remember). In any case, I do remember that I had some problems turning the rims down for inserts - the walls became quite thin as I approached the proper diameter.

original.jpg

Original restoration (circa July 2018)

Fast forward to present day and a chance to seriously prepare this car for running in a one-off race at a local home wood track made me have a second look at the original inserts. A search of the `net showed me that the real wheels were quite different from what I had - there were 10 holes - not 8, and the part of the rim where the holes were was not flat, but rather conical and rounded. Also the center of the wheel is made up of (I assume) interchangeable plates that were bolted to the rim using 5 bolts but then allowed the wheel to be single nut mounted on the axle, for more speedy pit stops.

So off to TinkerCAD I went and after a few hours and 3 or 4 revisions I came up with this...

3D design screen grab.jpg

Less than an hour later I had this...

phases.jpg

Upper left - straight off the 3D printer, upper right - cleaned up the stringies and sanded the outer radius down to fit CBD 15`` insert wheel, lower left and right - painted.

See next post for how they look on the car (still haven`t figured out how to get more than 3 pictures into a single post here on HRW).

Peter
PetesLightKits
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

New Inserts for Strombecker Porsche RS 61 - part 2

Postby PetesLightKits » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:17 pm

Comparison on the car...

compare.jpg

Detailed close-up... in this image you can see the printed layers of filament - you can`t really see that kind of detail with the naked eye, at least, I couldn`t. The image on screen is more than 3 times the size of the actual insert, on my monitor.

painted detail.jpg

I think it looks much more like the real thing. I will be adding these inserts to my website (see the link below) for anyone who would like to purchase some.

Thanks,
Peter
PetesLightKits
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to 3D Slot Forum