[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Ender 3-Arrived, assembled, now need to get started

Ender 3-Arrived, assembled, now need to get started

All about the next generation of our hobby. From vendors to independent artists.

Re: Ender 3-Arrived, assembled, now need to get started

Postby sjc115 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:57 pm

If the bed was not clipped down that is likely the issue. When you get more filament, do the leveling procedure (do it multiple times to make sure it is good) and then try again with the bed clipped down.

Also check to make sure you are not all the way screwed out on your adjustment knobs. If they are screwed out all the way then there is no spring tension to hold the bed adjustments. If that is the case, you need to lower your z axis limit switch and re-level (I had to do this to mine).
sjc115

Postby rolo9th » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:35 pm

Also check to make sure you are not all the way screwed out on your adjustment knobs. If they are screwed out all the way then there is no spring tension to hold the bed adjustments. If that is the case, you need to lower your z axis limit switch and re-level (I had to do this to mine).

I think that is my next step...I have zero spring tension on 2 or 3 corners.
rolo9th

Postby sjc115 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:06 pm

There is a stop on that z limit switch. You may have to trim it. That's what I had to do.
Once you get that fixed, you're leveling issue should be in the past.
sjc115

Postby dreinecke » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:18 pm

dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby rolo9th » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:30 am

Thank you all for your advice...I printed my first successful figure last night, and I think I have worked out my bugs/issues. In addition, I sourced a local place for Inland Premium 1.75 PLA at a reasonable cost, so I am up and running again.

3 followup questions for me:

1) Scaling...when using CURA, how do I adjust the scaling to know that I am getting roughly 1/32 scale end products? Is it just guesstimating, or is there an on-line conversion calculator y'all are aware of that would allow me to pull something from Thingiverse, open it in CURA, and figure out how to scale to the proper height or percentage?

2) Base level adhesion...for some of my earlier prints, I had issues with the base level adhering to the pad. I think most of that was leveling related, but I was wondering if I should also be incorporating Brim to ensure a print does not come free halfway through printing and start wandering. I had this happen to a couple of figures I tried to print...got to about the mid-section area, and they came undone from the pad, and things became problematic.

3) A scaling question of sorts again...I located some interesting scenery items, like jackstands, fire extinguishers, toolboxes, etc. that I would like to make in 1/32 scale...is there a size limit to how small something could be? And with something small, like say a fire extinguisher, should I adjust base or filament temperatures or print speed to prevent warping? I would assume the plastic needs time to cool/congeal before the next layer is dumped atop of it...for small stuff, that cooling period could be very short. What have y'all found is the way to get quality out of small intricate items?

All in all, I am really excited about all the cool things that are out there. Really looking forward to getting more experienced in this.
rolo9th

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:37 am

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby dreinecke » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:38 am

1) Scaling - For figures, 54mm is about spot on for a guy. I use 54 for the men, and between 49-52 for the ladies and smaller yet for kids.

2) Adhesion - If using a glass bed or mirror, Aquanet. However, lately, I've started using blue painters tape on my mirror. Why? I haven't had to change it and I've had zero adhesion or removal issues. I have been printing lots of 25+ figures, and having one pop off mid-print and wreck several others has happened a few times. In the middle of a 30 hour print, that kinda ticks me off.... The blue tape seems to do the trick for those pesky people and I have had not failures since. The mirror works on everything else and is an awesome base as it corrects any bed warping you may have.

3) Parts Scaling - I stick a figure on the base in Cura, scale him to 54mm and then scale the part to that. I eyeball almost 90% of everything I do to the RMSResins "looks good enough to me" rule.

Lastly, there are 3 BILLION PLA brands. I too use the Inland Premium PLA+. If you have a MicroCenter nearby, it is pretty cheap and convenient. I pay about $19 per huge roll.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby chappyman66 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:50 am

The Boss is right...AquaNet for the win.
There are many ways to improve first layer adhesion. Settings for the first layer, especially on low layer heights (0.05 mm) can be adjusted so the first layer is thicker (maybe 300%?) and printed at a different temp and speed to help adhesion. For bodies I still tend to use a raft because of the curves, but I print them in the normal orientation.

But I do use the hairspray for better adhesion as well. Dremel makes what they call "build tape" which is really just a thin piece of plastic with a coating on it. The coating provides spectacular adhesion for 5-10 prints in the same area, and then can start to have less grip, which is when the hairspray comes out. Just mist the bed and let the alcohol evaporate. Voila, great low tack "glue".
By the way, a 6" putty knife with a sharp edge really helps to pop things off the bed....

And FYI, as a rough guide for figures, 55mm is about 6ft tall.
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:56 am

By the way, a 6" putty knife with a sharp edge really helps to pop things off the bed....the FB posts are FULL of people needing stitches from these... ;)

And FYI, as a rough guide for figures, 55mm is about 6ft tall - military figs are 54mm, so that's the reason I used that. Besides, anyone that knows me knows that I'm NOWHERE near 6' tall....
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby chappyman66 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:26 am

:doh: Basic knife safety.... don't cut toward yourself....come on, Doc....
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:37 am

Nice...I never got bit. The "putty" knife in the Ender box is SHARP. When the stock bed surface gets sticky and refuses to release parts, the knife is deadly. Facebook has epic injury pics on it. I put my killer putty knife in the garage for the coming zombie apocalypse....
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby rolo9th » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:47 pm

Thank you all again for your wisdom, advice, and patience.

I am now successfully printing all sorts of cool stuff...figures, vending machines, floor jacks, wine racks, first aid kits, etc. for my future track.

I think I am somewhat addicted to 3D printing...it is very cool. Aside from 1/32 slot car stuff, I have found a bunch of other things I want to print out.

Question for y'all: Where are you finding your .stl files of people to print? I have pulled a bunch of Thingiverse from Fredini...lots of good figures there, kids, women, couples, etc. Any other places I can go and grab some spectators from?
rolo9th

Postby FC47 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:32 pm

Mine arrived today, it was misrouted a couple days,
Looks good to go, lot on my plate this week, off next week so some time then!
Psyched!! :banana-dance:
FC47
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:05 pm

Woohoo! Let the good times roll!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby rolo9th » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:00 am

Agreed! It's a whole new dimension to the hobby, be it chassis/bodies or scenery items, or both.
rolo9th

PreviousNext

Return to 3D Slot Forum