Taking the leap!

All about the next generation of our hobby. From vendors to independent artists.

Taking the leap!

Postby btaylor » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:05 am

Well, After Doc's post about track figures in 3d, I could not order up a machine fast enough! I took his advice, and bought the Creality Ender 3 unit. Now, take in mind, I can barely get pictures posted on here, so my PC skills are about that of a 3 year old, Or maybe worse. After tossing the instructions, I used a video review to assemble the machine. Its not complicated once its done, but if you don't know anything about 3d printing, it is a daunting task! After a couple of hours of assembly and adjustments, I was ready to print. The machine comes with a skimpy little roll of test plastic.(looks like weed eater string?) So I knew I couldn't do much, if it worked at all. I had ordered a 2lb spool, but of course the machine came in first. I went to the thingverse website, and uploaded? a person to try. Not hard at all, went right to the SD card when I clicked on it. Now except for figuring out how to re size these figures, I was able to print half a person in what looks like 1/18th scale. The weekend should let me play with this somemore, but I can already tell, these machines are as cool as it comes! memorizing almost, just to watch something appear out of nowhere on the plate. So, now comes the hard part for me. Understanding how to do all the things I want it do! Here is the machine, and my half a$$ed attempt to make something, first try. It doesn't look like much, but the detail is certainly there, and it can only get better from here.
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Re: Taking the leap!

Postby TuscoTodd » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:16 am

GREAT to see Bob!
With your building talent and speed, you ought to be printing custom driver figures in no time! :)
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:42 am

Yeah, this is going to be fun to watch! Congrats Bob on a whole new world :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby btaylor » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:57 am

Yea, If I can figure this thing out, it should cut my build times in half!.........................

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby ccobra » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:09 am

Now comes the fun part. After doing the little people you'll get going on some new chassis designs. After that comes the car bodies. Enjoy the fun to come.
ccobra
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:13 am

Woohoo!!! Call me anytime. I can help you with some more awesome settings in GCode for the printer.

It is mesmerizing to watch this thing. I call it a Hot Rod glue gun.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby btaylor » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:20 am

LOL. Kind of weird when I first saw what looked like feet being printed. The base was ok, but then a person started to appear! I found the sizing thing in Cura, but the window is not allowing me too change size yet. Might need to get help on the program. I have not spent much time on it yet, so I can figure out a lot of things on my own still. Thanks for sharing what you already have guy's! it has helped me a lot already.

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby Junior » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:21 pm

Mine should be delivered by the 25th. Hopefully I can learn from everyone's experiences. I plan on going over to MicroCenter this weekend to get some PLA+ so I don't end up with half a guy! LOL!
Tom
Junior
Shop Teacher

Postby Racie35 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:38 pm

Do people have files you can stick on sd cards etc and make parts easily?
Racie35
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby PetesLightKits » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:32 am

Great to see you got something printing so quickly. I too ordered an Ender 3 after reading Doc's post. Mine is still somewhere between there and here. But I do have 2 rolls of PLA waiting to be used. I made a motor holder (for my test stand) using TinkerCAD and can't wait to try and print a few.

Peter
PetesLightKits
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:03 am

Junior - you have a MicroCenter? We do too - BEST PLACE EVER!!!

Racie - yes - see thingverse.com

Pete - can't wait to see what you do!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby Junior » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:31 pm

I see small people....

Made it to Micro Center today, just waiting for my printer now.

David, Glad they stock the filament, be now I remember why I don't go there to often, too many tech wannabe's asking you if you need help again and again (must be on commission) and poor pricing, they had black on sale for $16.99 but of course it rang up as $18.99. Need to watch them.
Junior
Shop Teacher

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:56 pm

Oh NO!!! Not you too?

Now will one of you guys become an expert and fast? I have these kits here that need scaled down to 1/32 :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby frank9129 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:11 pm

With everyone getting 3D printers, I won't have to. Besides thing don't come as easy as they used to before I turned 71.
What I would like to see are Eldon guides and Slide Guides.
I have some Eldon cars without guides and my 1:43 cars could use guides.
Keep up the good work.
Watch the !@#$%^&* spell checker. I'm waiting for mine to start swearing. I have to read everything several times before posting.
frank9129
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:33 pm

Junior - Yup, they are a bit hungry, but my favorite geek store.

The PLA+ is working excellent. I purchased the white. A friend got regular PLA in silver and we found it a little brittle. Not sure why.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Return to 3D Slot Forum