[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Home Racing World • View topic - Playing with figures!

Playing with figures!

All about the next generation of our hobby. From vendors to independent artists.

Re: Playing with figures!

Postby btaylor » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:16 pm

I think they look so much better than the old standard figures, it does not matter what settings! One question, how many figures can you get out of the 2lb spool?

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby chappyman66 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:49 pm

How many people per spool?
Like alot of things, the answer is"it depends"..... mostly on size and layer height and infill.

But suffice to say "quite a few"....I would say well over 100 easily.
And as Doc has pointed out...some things like bodies benefit from the small layer height and long print, while others are just fine with slightly less resolution.

For me....if they pass the 3 ft test I am satisfied....but YMMV.
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Fitzy » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:11 pm

I also have one of these printers on the way and ran into this video to setup Cura to work with the Creality3D Ender

Fitzy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:14 pm

That is a great tutorial as well! I did just learn something...my bed size was incorrect when I set mine up, which explains why my prints tend to go to the right LOL!!!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:02 pm

David!!!! Mini-me arrived today! Its even more exact and eerie than I thought. I have an ancient Cox thumb controller, and I will paint the figure of me exactly like a T-shirt, hat, and pants I have, and add a wire to the hand of the figure. Then we will have a photo to post of me and Mini-me in exactly the same pose, clothes, and holding the same controller. This is going to be amazing. I have just ordered the #00000 paint brush and hair file for finishing the figure. If I can't do it that way, I will hire a pro to paint it for me. All I have to do is include the photo of me. I can't thank you enough for this. My wife is also fired up about it. The last time that happened was when Carrera did the American Graffiti T-Bird.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby dreinecke » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:35 pm

Rob - that is hysterical! Glad to hear you're happy with Mini-Me!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby dreinecke » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:07 am

Lesson learned: tell someone unfamiliar with 3D printing to not touch it while printing. Had my exterminator bump the table in the middle of my last figure print. Just doing that left a slight "off" print to occur about a hair wide from the normal body. Gives the figure a funny looking ring. All fixable with putty before I paint, but the figures were perfect so that was a bummer. He felt terrible and it was my fault for not telling him to be careful. I've got mine setup on the foosball table and he banged into one of the rods. No harm, no foul.

I've got about 70-is printed now and am doing them in batches of 10 with .06 resolution at about 25-30 hours for those. The quality is excellent and other than the mishap above, just keeps getting better.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby btaylor » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:46 am

Still waiting on my spool to get here.......NOT patiently! I figured out the scale process, now trying to get more than one figure at a time on the plate. I am set up for 75mm people right now. Cant wait to see how they look. Doc, what fill are you using? are your figures solid? or have the honey comb pattern inside.

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby dreinecke » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:34 pm

Bob - I'll email you my settings. All you'll have to do is scale them to size.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby ccobra » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:14 pm

Not sure which CURA edition you are using but on my 21.08 I have three settings, Standard, High Speed, and High Detail. Then when I try to change the layer thickness to something a little thinner, I screw up the head and get it plugged with filament. It might be that my little unit is around 5 years old with the only problem being the coating has worn off the bed making for a hit or miss of the print sticking. Today if I can't get the head working again, issues with the self-leveling part and extrusion part, I'll just order a new head for it that comes with new cooling fans and filament feed drive.
So what I'm trying to say for all those out there trying to squirt some plastic, be careful when setting your layer thickness. I'm also planning on downloading the new CURA 3.2.27 edition which looks somewhat different from the 21.08 but is supposed to be easier to use where you just call out the filament as before but there are supposed to be more settings in the new program than before which will give better temperature settings.
ccobra
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:57 pm

So, I'm about 100 figures into this 3D gig. So far, I have to say I'm VERY pleased - even with the early ones at the .1 resolution.

The last few batches have my new Cura "tweaks" done and some GCode that runs the printer. Getting very nice results and no failures. I'm maybe about 1/2 through my roll of PLA+, so I'd say my mileage has been pretty good so far.

I'm sticking to 10 at a time...that keeps it easy and less failure issues if something goes wrong. I've had a few get mowed down and the stringing looked like some kids hit the printer with silly string.

But, I love the fact that no two look the same, and NONE of them look like the store-bought ones!

Here's a good look at about 85 of them:

dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:21 pm

Omigosh David. There's a few "fat-bottomed girls" in that crowd! You know they make the rockin' world go 'round!!! I may have to get all this tech in my shop just to get them!?!
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby dreinecke » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:15 am

Rob - that is funny!

I've got a little vignette planned for the PDR - seems the Plymouth guys are setting up a fan area that will have some muscle on display and some eye-catching advertising as well ;)

dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby chappyman66 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:18 am

Doc..... that's just...... awesome!
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:19 pm

That is VERY cool!
:lol:
TuscoTodd