Gulf racing Corvair

Let's build the big ones!

Gulf racing Corvair

Postby btaylor » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:01 am

Just about finished up with my Corvair Trans Am car. this one has the converted H&R sidewinder chassis, or HCO"BS" as Harry called it!. The paint gave me fits on this one, and ended having the clear coat craze the paint on me. Very bewildering, as I have used these same colors and brand of paint many, many times. It could be the high humidity we are having right now, or it may be the can was low , and was dispensing to much aerosol. Either way, its to late to fix this one. It gets ran as is. About the chassis conversion. Fun project to convert to a sidewinder, but I cant say it was worth the trouble. On this car, it has a very narrow rear track, so I had to heavily modify one of the rear wheels to get both under the car. I had to re drill the 4/40 set screw hole closer to the backside of the wheel, then turn down the excess of the hub to tuck it closer to the spur gear. I also had to do the same thing to the spur gear. After all that, I still cant clear a wide enough tire to really get the car to hook up like it should. It handles well enough, and runs about the same lap times as my others. Like I said, fun project, but I wouldn't do it again for racing purposes.
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Re: Gulf racing Corvair

Postby Lou E » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:28 pm

That looks good, nice work!!
Lou E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:40 pm

Dig it! Still unsafe in any scale...but I dig it anyway! :dance:
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Gameover » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:46 pm

looks good. sounds like a lot of work. but worth it!
Gameover
Mr. Hubcaps

Return to Taylor 1/24 TA Proxy 2018