[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - 2018 SCCA Proxy - Rules and Registration Thread

2018 SCCA Proxy - Rules and Registration Thread

2018 SCCA Proxy - Rules and Registration Thread

Postby Audi1 » Tue May 01, 2018 11:22 am

Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: 2018 SCCA Proxy - Rules and Registration Thread

Postby Z-carfan » Tue May 01, 2018 11:53 am

Sign me up please, car TBD.
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Mitch58 » Tue May 01, 2018 1:38 pm

Count me in, details TBD later.
Mitch58
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Austin » Tue May 01, 2018 1:38 pm

I will take Ford #17 AP

Nice link (http://www.racingsportscar.com)

Can we run the FJr class ? Really like the looks of them cars :violence-smack:
Last edited by Austin on Tue May 01, 2018 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Austin
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby cj74 » Tue May 01, 2018 2:06 pm

I’m in. Car and # TBD. Likely only running one class. One car option ran both production and modified. If I’m reading correctly, the rules for both classes are the same so I would likely run the production class.
cj74
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby glasshorsevh » Tue May 01, 2018 2:18 pm

Allan,

Definitely in!... What’s not so definitive is what to enter or what number... I said I was thinking about a Lang Cooper #97, but after the posting of the Elva BRM picture... I got nostalgic and now I have that body coming in... so depending on what that looks like will dictate what you will see on the grid. There are just soooo many great cars to choose from and this is my favorite era of racing! ....before big tires and wings, lots of innovation. Thanks much for putting this proxy together!

Val
glasshorsevh
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Brumos RSR » Tue May 01, 2018 4:29 pm

#33 CM class please car to be determined
Last edited by Brumos RSR on Wed May 02, 2018 8:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Brumos RSR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappy » Tue May 01, 2018 5:44 pm

Im in Allan , #23 please car and class tbd
Cheers
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby munter » Tue May 01, 2018 6:42 pm

Hello Allan, please reserve two places for myself and my fellow scratcher, Viv.

Another two uncertain of body or racing numbers or class at this point.
Last edited by munter on Tue May 01, 2018 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
munter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Old23 » Tue May 01, 2018 9:20 pm

Sign me up. Modified Class. Chaparral 2 #366.

Old23/Stewart
Old23

Postby alexis in greece » Wed May 02, 2018 3:34 am

Please put me down for both classes, one is Ferrari Uovo #163 but not sure what class it is,the other one tba when it is clear which class its the Uovo
alexis in greece
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Wed May 02, 2018 5:09 am

Glad to see that there's interest in this proxy. I want to clarify a couple of points because there are some "first time" elements to this proxy.

First, it's one car per racer at this point. It's not one car per class. The reason for this is that we want to open this up to as many racers as would like to participate and limiting it to one car helps to do that. If a class doesn't fill up, then we may open it up to a second car from racers who have already registered, but we won't know if that's the case until a month or so from now. Stay tuned for more on that; I won't drop the ball on this point because it's an important one, but for now it's one car per racer.

Second, and this is related somewhat to the first, we need people to designate their Division now, because we need to know how full each Division is in order to have both a competitive Production and Modified Division. So, when you express interest, please designate the Division that you plan to compete in. If one Division is not full, then it will be possible to racers to "hop" Divisions if they want to as the registration process gets underway. But, for now, please tell me what Division you think you'll be racing in. That will help a lot - thanks.

Best,

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Wed May 02, 2018 5:17 am

Here's some information taken from the "just noodling" thread that will help you to decide what class you car will fall into.

I looked back at the SCCA history, their first post-war event was the National Sports Car Championship; which started up in 1951 and ran through the 1953 season. it was open, with no class distinctions; fastest car won; there was simply one winner at each of the races. But because of the disparity of the displacement and performance of the cars that raced in those events, 1954 saw the establishment of the system that many of us were used to seeing; the Production and Modified classes, each based on motor displacement. Here are the motor displacement categories:

Class / Displacement

A / over 5000cc
B / 4000–5000cc
C / 3000–4000cc
D / 2000–3000cc
E / 1500–2000cc
F / 1100–1500cc
G / 750–1100cc
H / under 750cc

So, for each Displacement category, you had both a Production and a Modified class. E & F Production were usually the big categories with all of the weekend racers hitting the track with their "slightly modified" 2000cc and under cars. Remember all the "EP" and "FP" designations that you used to see in masking tape on the weekends..........

Here were your series winners in 1954:

Class / Country / Driver / Car

B Modified / United States / Jack Ensley / Kurtis Kraft 500S
C Modified / United States / Jim Kimberly / Ferrari 375 MM
C Production / United States / Charles Wallace / Jaguar XK120
D Modified / United States / Bill Lloyd / Ferrari 225 S, Ferrari 2.7
D Production / United States / William Kinchloe / Austin-Healey 100
E Modified / United States / Fred Wacker & Ted Boynton / Arnolt-Bristol, Frazer Nash Le Mans
E Production / United States / Bob Salzgaber / Triumph TR2
F Modified / United States / Briggs Cunningham / O.S.C.A. MT4
F Production / United States / Dick Thompson & Art Bunker / Porsche 356, MG TD, Porsche 356 Super Coupe, Roadster
G Modified / United States / Rees Makins / O.S.C.A. MT4
H Modified / United States / Candy Poole / PBX Special

And it stayed that way through the '56 season.

In 1957, they changed the Displacement rules for the Modified and Production classes and they did away with the A class completely (because no one was running motors larger than 5000cc); instead combining the old B and C class displacements:

Class / Modified Displacement / Production Displacement

B / over 5000cc / 3500-5000cc
C / 3000-5000cc / 2700-3500cc
D / 2000-3000cc / 2000-2700cc
E / 1500-2000cc / 1600-2000cc
F / 1100-1500cc / 1300-1600cc
G / 750-1100cc / 750-1300cc
H / 500-750cc / under 750cc

And, the number or races shot up top 15!

In 1958, they reclassified the Displacement categories again; apparently they had some unhappy campers............and they added the I and J classes

Class / Modified / Production

B / 5000-8000cc / 3500-5000cc
G / 750-1100cc / 1000-1300cc
H / 500-750cc / 750-1000cc
I / 350-500cc / 500-750cc
J / under 350cc / 350-500cc
K / - / under 350cc

And they added another race; making it 16 in total; double where it started in 1951.

And in 1961, they changed the Displacement classes again, this time increasing the displacement limit of the B class and eliminating the J and K classes;

Class / Modified / Production

B / 5000-8000cc / 3500-5000cc
G / 750-1100cc / 1000-1300cc
H / 500-750cc / 750-1000cc
I / under 500cc / under 750cc

And the series dropped to 13 races; clearly they were struggling with a classification that only took displacement into account and not overall performance potential.

If you want more detail on this racing, then use the Wikipedia and put in: "19XX SCCA National Sports Car Championship" or 19XX United States Road Racing Championship. You'll get a lot of information on the tracks, the cars and the drivers. You can also do the same search using RacingSportsCars instead of the Wikipedia and you'll get the actual grid for each race in the series for every year that it was run. Here are two links to a Wiki pages that will get you started; the first one has a lot of good info on the cars and the drivers in both the Modified and Production classes:

So, pick the year of your car, look at the classes that existed at that time and you have the class for you racer! Easy!! ;) :lol:

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby alexis in greece » Wed May 02, 2018 7:24 am

alexis in greece
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Mitch58 » Wed May 02, 2018 7:25 am

Mine will be something with the H&R Hawk in it, I've just rarely found a slim can I enjoy driving.
Mitch58
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to 2018 SCCA Proxy