Tire Discussion

Tire Discussion

Postby mether05 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:04 pm

Looking for tire options for 15x8 wheels. Not real happy with the PGT’s, maybe should have gone with the soft formula!?!?

Paul Gage, Yellow Dogs... any other option that might give more grip?? Silicones!!! :lol: just kidding.

BobM <><
mether05
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Tire Discussion

Postby Austin » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:15 pm

I like NSR tires, But need to be cut to size
Austin
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby cgingras » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:17 pm

I like the N22 compound from Slot.it. Works good for me, as nice as NSR and easier to work with, I think. Your mileage may vary.
cgingras
SCC Mechanic

Postby BARC 1 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:31 pm

Next to the motor rpm, tires are probably the most important thing. As long as everyone is running the same there is no advantage. I guess it depends on what the objective of the proxy is. I personally would be fine with the whole field running on the same tire to make it the same for everyone
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby arroldn » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:24 pm

I have found NSR tires a pain to work with. To many imperfections that it takes a long time to get a good true tire. I lean toward SuperTires but have used PGTs with success.

Arrold
arroldn
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby docdoom » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:44 pm

I dont have dog in the fight on this one but. I think it should also be one type of tire. but that just my two cents...
docdoom
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Rleog » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:57 pm

Running a "spec" tire makes sense to me.

During the last Proxy that I attended, entrants were supposed to have used rubber or urethane tires. Subjectively, there was a very significant difference in grip that could be noted by rubbing your finger over the tire surfaces.

Others have claimed that urethane made by one manufacturer are better than another type of urethane tires.

Why not eliminate this variance and specify that entrants choose from tires made by one supplier?
Rleog
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:35 pm

In addition to all these opinions, I can only add that if there is a Paul Gage tire that disappoints, you need to talk to him. He would be very concerned at that, and would fix it as fast as can be fixed. I am certain of that.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Brumos RSR » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:42 am

Proxy Hosts and promoters, please don't go overly rule crazy. I get ride height, no use of bearings, motor limits but rubber and or urethane is enough with maybe a width limit which can be an equalizer. Or do a rubber race proxy and a separate urethane proxy which could be fun also. Or a Quik Slicks Only proxy if you run Silicon. The tire choice adds to the excitement as conditions change like in the current proxy that started in Australia and or New Zealand is now headed to Canada after 6 rounds.
Brumos RSR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:44 am

We have a history here at HRW of running proxies with a choice of tires materials; usually either rubber/urethane or silicone. I have always found on my track that well prepared urethane tires are equal to well prepared rubber tires. A not as well prepared tire of either type is not competitive with the other, or even with its similarly shod grid mates, but that's what you would expect. It is true that treated rubber tires (oil soaking, etc. ) are at a disadvantage when raced in a field that has cars that are on urethane, because they tend to pick up the dust. But, I have not observed this with non-treated rubber tires. Urethanes, on the other hand, do not have that dust pick-up issue. I think having a choice of tire materials is a good thing; unless you want a "one-design" proxy, in which case I can see the benefit of choosing a single tire material and even a single tire compound. If you think that rubber is faster in a rubber/urethane proxy, then run rubber; if you think that urethane is faster, then run urethane. Racing; whether it's 1:1 or 1:32 has always been about finding a fair advantage and exploiting it; I don't see a compelling reason to limit choice in the name of homogenization, when there is no clear unfair advantage to be gained.

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mether05 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:41 am

Gentlemen, I apologize for being unclear in my original post. My intention was not to start tire wars.

I am familiar with silicone tires, have a couple of brands mounted, trued etc… not so for urethane or rubber, I don’t run them!

I just hosted the Ford - Porsche Proxy here with the same tire and wheel rules, they ran very well.

With that said, I was looking for opinions on the PGT vs the XPGT tire, (with silicones the firmer formula works better for me, went with the same assumption for the PG tires) OR what other tire options are available that in your experience give good grip!

And what Allan so elegantly said above... :D

I wonder what would happen if we prepared 2 sets of tires based on the track being run, like 1:1 racing! Hummmm???? A pair of Silicones for the NE tracks and … and a pair of rubber/urethanes for north of the border, ehhh! Just spit balling… best of both tire worlds?
Last edited by mether05 on Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
mether05
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Brumos RSR » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:24 am

Methner05, I'm no expert in proxy racing ( check my finishes) :D but my IMP in the Trans Am '16 ran on poorly trued Slot It rubber. For 2017 I ran PG XPGs and the car ran 2-3 tenths faster on average on all the tracks it raced on in 2016. No gear or motor changes, simply tires glued and not trued as, I'm learning the art of polishing tires. I have also over prepared NSR tires and finished near the back of the Group 5 Proxy as the tires were the marble magnet Audi1 described. I love the rubber tires but as a veteran beginner the XPGs have worked better on the rear with the harder compound as a front tire.
Brumos RSR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:43 am

Paul recommends XPG's for proxy racing because they have more grip at larger slip angles (rear wheels further from being directly in line with the slot; tail-out) than the PGT's. A lot of us have run PGT's on the rear in the past, because they're slightly easier to true and, at lower slip angles (f you can keep your car closer to being directly in line with the slot), they grip better than the XPG's.

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:23 pm

There seem to be some inconsistencies in the intent of the proxy rules. I am unclear as to how and why some things seem wide open while others are done to level the playing field.

I am trying to figure out why bearings are a no no, but motors that are rotating at 20% over what they are stamped is OK. Now throw in the difference traction plays in a car perfomance being almost wide open, and the objective of some of the rules seems more confusing.

A motor or tire will have way more impact on the cars performance than a bearing vs bushing will, and yet we have a rule on the bearing vs bushing?

I think at the end of the day, just enter to have fun and don’t get to concerned about the inconsistencies that exist
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mether05 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:37 pm

Has anyone used clear nail polish successfully to mount urethane tires for a Proxy?

I have a pair mounted and it seems very stable, not breaking away from the rim at all. My concern is that it’s not as flexible as the tire CA I’m familiar with and will not hold up for a Proxy.

But the nail polish is very easy to work with and less messy!
mether05
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to MRollingThunder Can-Am Proxy 2018