Can-Am Proxy 2018 - Rules and Official Sign-up Thread

Re: Can-Am Proxy 2018 - Rules and Official Sign-up Thread

Postby Billy boy » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:44 pm

Can i get on the wait list? My # is 44. Thanks,billy boy
Billy boy

Postby Audi1 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:56 pm

Sure, your name has been added to the Waiting List.

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby arroldn » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:04 pm

Point of clarification for me Allan. Does the car have to a model of the actual car and driver as stated in your list or just the car type? That may be why you said in an earlier post my Ferrari 512 did not qualify. Yet I see someone else stated they are entering the #7 Ferrari 512 which was driven by Ronnie Peterson. Not sure if he drove it in a CanAm Race however. Thanks for the clarification.

Arrold
arroldn
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:15 pm

'
arroldn wrote:Point of clarification for me Allan. Does the car have to a model of the actual car and driver as stated in your list or just the car type? That may be why you said in an earlier post my Ferrari 512 did not qualify. Yet I see someone else stated they are entering the #7 Ferrari 512 which was driven by Ronnie Peterson. Not sure if he drove it in a CanAm Race however. Thanks for the clarification.

Arrold

Hi Arrold, No, it does not need to be a model of the actual car; fantasy liveries of the same cars are fine for this series. There were several 512 models that ran in the Can-Am, but the one that you posted a picture of and that we discussed via PM's, wasn't one of them. Not all 512's were the same. The 512S, which is the car listed in the sign-up section, is a car that was driven by both Adams and Andretti in the '70 Can-Am series. Hope that helps.

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Billy boy » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:35 pm

Can i get bumped up the list if i prepay :dance: just kidding thanks
Billy boy

Postby Audi1 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:37 pm

Not a chance! :naughty:

......nice try though............... ;)

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Billy boy » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:57 pm

One must always try. :P
Billy boy

Postby -Nimrod- » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:10 pm

If there is still an opportunity ?
Ford GT40 MKI #17

Cheers
-nimrod-
-Nimrod-

Postby Z-carfan » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:29 pm

Audi1 wrote:'
arroldn wrote:Point of clarification for me Allan. Does the car have to a model of the actual car and driver as stated in your list or just the car type? That may be why you said in an earlier post my Ferrari 512 did not qualify. Yet I see someone else stated they are entering the #7 Ferrari 512 which was driven by Ronnie Peterson. Not sure if he drove it in a CanAm Race however. Thanks for the clarification.

Arrold

Hi Arrold, No, it does not need to be a model of the actual car; fantasy liveries of the same cars are fine for this series. There were several 512 models that ran in the Can-Am, but the one that you posted a picture of and that we discussed via PM's, wasn't one of them. Not all 512's were the same. The 512S, which is the car listed in the sign-up section, is a car that was driven by both Adams and Andretti in the '70 Can-Am series. Hope that helps.

Allan

Hey Allen, you are right not every 512 was the same. Including the 512S.
While trying to decide on a car, I researched the 512S. According to the racingsportscars web site the ‘open cockpit’ 512S participated in Can Am but not the ‘closed cockpit’ version.

My question is do we need to specify an open or closed cockpit car if we run a 512S? I’m OK either way and am in no way trying to rule one way or another, just curious if I will pursue building one.

Gotta love Ferrari using the same number scheme for multiple types of cars, not confusing at all!
This was actually kid of fun looking into, I never knew there was a difference.

Cheers,
Mike
Mike

"When you’re back there with the squirrels, you’re bound to get your nuts cracked." - Graham Rahal
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:19 am

-Nimrod- wrote:If there is still an opportunity ?
Ford GT40 MKI #17

Cheers
-nimrod-

Welcome. You're on the Waiting List, Nimrod.

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:31 am

Z-carfan wrote:
Audi1 wrote:'

Arrold

Allan

Hey Allen, you are right not every 512 was the same. Including the 512S.
While trying to decide on a car, I researched the 512S. According to the racingsportscars web site the ‘open cockpit’ 512S participated in Can Am but not the ‘closed cockpit’ version.

My question is do we need to specify an open or closed cockpit car if we run a 512S? I’m OK either way and am in no way trying to rule one way or another, just curious if I will pursue building one.

Gotta love Ferrari using the same number scheme for multiple types of cars, not confusing at all!
This was actually kid of fun looking into, I never knew there was a difference.

Cheers,
Mike

Hi Mike, Pretty much, the number designation on a Ferrari only tells you about the motor. "512" meaning 5.0 liters, 12 cylinders. You're right about the 512S variants, there were several of them. As far as I know, all of the 512S cars that ran Can-Am; 3 of them in 1970; Andretti, Adams and Bondurant, were all "topless" cars, but I wouldn't call them open cockpit; because at that point Ferrari was trying to minimally modify their FIA endurance cars to run in Can-Am. The 512P and 512M models that replaced the 512S Can-Am car in 1971, as well as the later 612 and 712, were open cockpit; more in keeping with the theme of the Can-Am races. This separates them from the 512S coda lunga (long tail) versions that were FIA endurance racers, the longer tail was designed to make them more stable at the speeds that they reached on the Mulsanne Straight at Le Mans and other tracks.

Alexis in Greece is doing a 612; I sure would like to see someone do the 712; the largest motor that Ferrari every built!

Here's a model of the Adams 512S Can-Am car from 1970.

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Pappy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:11 am

That's the same body style I'm running. Mine has more decals and the #22 which I am going to change to #7
Butch
Pappy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:17 am

Butch, Who makes the body for the 512S Can-Am car?

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Z-carfan » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:52 am

Well the 512S I had in mind has a top, not sure I want to try to hack the roof off.
Where would I find a 712? I was going to do the RMS Resin 612, but David said the mold was too tired and he’s not sure he will make a new one soon as he has other projects in the pipeline.

Anyone had success getting one from Dart hobbies?
Last edited by Z-carfan on Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

"When you’re back there with the squirrels, you’re bound to get your nuts cracked." - Graham Rahal
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dw5555 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:58 am

Enjoy who you race with, not how you should be racing.
dw5555
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

PreviousNext

Return to Can-Am Proxy 2018