Can-Am Proxy Series for 2018?

Re: Can-Am Proxy Series for 2018?

Postby chrisguyw » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:49 am

Hi Guys.....with a bit chassis work, the rear engined Fly cars can be made to work quite well. I built this for one of our club guys to race in a Group 5 series a couple of years back.......he did very well.

The biggest issue with this chassis (unmodified) is its lack of longitudinal stiffness......this leads to severe axle tramping

Cheers
Chris Walker

PS If anyone is interested, I think I still have a few more shots lying around, of the mods done

chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby arroldn » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:55 am

Allan,
Count me in. Now to decide which car. All have 21.5K motors except the stock Scaley GT40. Now they will all need some tweaking.
Attachments
Can Am Cars 2.jpg
Can Am Cars 2.jpg (286.19 KiB) Viewed 311 times
Can Am Cars 1.jpg
Can Am Cars 1.jpg (289.49 KiB) Viewed 311 times
arroldn
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:51 am

chrisguyw wrote:Hi Guys.....with a bit chassis work, the rear engined Fly cars can be made to work quite well. I built this for one of our club guys to race in a Group 5 series a couple of years back.......he did very well.

The biggest issue with this chassis (unmodified) is its lack of longitudinal stiffness......this leads to severe axle tramping

Cheers
Chris Walker

PS If anyone is interested, I think I still have a few more shots lying around, of the mods done

Chris, I can't see your pics; all I see is a little B&W thumbnail.......

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Brumos RSR » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:30 pm

I'm thinking about it
Attachments
IMG_3154.JPG
IMG_3154.JPG (39.27 KiB) Viewed 266 times
Brumos RSR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:25 am

Brumos RSR wrote:I'm thinking about it

That's a good thought! - seems that I remember that car, from way back................... :lol:

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:28 am

The race is on! A separate registration thread has been posted; check to be sure that I've got your name on it if you replied to this thread with interest in participating.

Good luck to everyone!

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby steeveew » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:06 pm

Is the Slot It Chaparral legal ?

Steve
steeveew
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:34 pm

Yes, it is.

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Rules

Postby SuperSlab » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:02 pm

Audi1 wrote:OK, so a little more thinking. Here's sort of a spec list for the series; not rules yet - just for comments at this point:

Cars - any car that ran in one or more Can-Am races from '66 to '74

1. Body - Plastic Injection Molded, resin or 3D printed bodies
2. Chassis - any material / podded or non-podded
3. Wheels - any - maximum dimensions of 15x8 for both front and rear
4. Tires - any - rubber or urethane - maximum width (shoulder-to-shoulder) 10mm
5. Motor - any - 22k rpm or less based on manufacturer's spec / IL, SW, AW all OK, long or short can
6. Gearing - open
7. clearance - 1.0 mm minimum
8. No tires or guide flags visible from the top of the car
9. Interior - any (lightweight OK) - 3D driver's head, arms, hands, and steering wheel top/dash
10. Glass - any (Lightweight OK) - must be present for closed cars on windshield and rear window

One entry per person
Unique numbers required
Maximum number of cars - 25-30; depending on the number of racers who want to participate (goal will be to not exclude anyone who wants to race)
Cost/car = $20.00
Due date = May 1, 2018
Format - 8 races / routed wood tracks - 4 in the US / 4 in Canada
One class; all cars race together

How is that looking to everyone?

Allan

As the entries are getting finalised and people are starting to think about building cars, I would like to ask if we can start getting the rules nailed down please Allan. A few comments:

1. Number of entries: the initial indications were for a proxy of <=30 cars (the wording in the post was"Maybe limit to 30 cars; which is usually a very workable number for the host tracks.") While I understand the idea of not wanting to exclude anyone, I would like to ask that we spare a thought for the hosts. I personally find it becoming a chore to manage and run a race once you go over 30 cars, so I would like to request we make that a hard limit. I am all for a "wait list" as was mentioned in another post. This can have guidelines as you described Allan, e.g. payment by x date otherwise people on the wait list can move up etc. I would also suggest that the principle of one entry per entrant be adhered to UNLESS there are slots open. Second entries to be ranked AFTER wait list hopefuls.

2. As per my comments on the motor thread: need to make sure that all entrants understand that 22k is 22k and not 22.4k.

3. This brings up the horrid topic of penalties. I would suggest that it is made very clear from the outset what penalties will apply for transgressions. If we want to make it a "gentlemen's race" without any penalties then that should be stated ahead of time. If there are penalties: will penalties be applied once or per leg of the race that cars remain out of compliance? Etc etc.

4. I would suggest that a desired (required?) race duration be specified for hosts. Something like minimum 2 lanes, minimum total run time 10 minutes (e.g. two lanes, 5 minutes per lane), maximum total run time 18 minutes or such.

5. Would suggest the method of scoring (points vs distance, if points what are the points, do all legs count or best 7 of 8 etc) be described.

I am not suggesting that we create a 50 page rule book. If the consensus is light control (e.g. few or no rules, few or no penalties), I am fine with that: we should just be clear about that ahead of time.

Alwyn
SuperSlab
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:34 pm

Thanks for your questions and comments, Alwyn. I sent you a PM with replies to all.

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby cj74 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:37 pm

Audi1 wrote:Thanks for your questions and comments, Alwyn. I sent you a PM with replies to all.

Allan

Is it possible that the responses/answers that impact all are shared with all?

For those that are not avid 1:1 race enthusiasts, can you recommend a resource for all possible car options. I think I have a good idea, but I don't want to miss out on something already on my shelf that is staring me in the face.

Thanks in advance!
Corey
cj74
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:31 pm

Hi Corey, I'm thinking through some possible tweaks to the rules, but nothing is solidified yet. Probably by this weekend. I will post all changes, if there are any, to this thread.

As far as cars go, see the 11th post on the first page of this thread for a list of the Can-Am cars that ran in the '66-'74 timeframe. Since you're likely not the only one with that question, I'm going to re-post it tonight over on the Rules and Official Sign-Up thread, where most of the important information on the proxy is located. Any car from that list is eligible. Also, if you have a favorite car that is not on that list, but you have a reliable source stating that it ran in at least one Can-Am race during the timeframe, then it is eligible, too.

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby cj74 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:39 pm

Audi1 wrote:Hi Corey, I'm thinking through some possible tweaks to the rules, but nothing is solidified yet. Probably by this weekend. I will post all changes, if there are any, to this thread.

As far as cars go, see the 11th post on the first page of this thread for a list of the Can-Am cars that ran in the '66-'74 timeframe. Since you're likely not the only one with that question, I'm going to re-post it tonight over on the Rules and Official Sign-Up thread, where most of the important information on the proxy is located. Any car from that list is eligible. Also, if you have a favorite car that is not on that list, but you have a reliable source stating that it ran in at least one Can-Am race during the timeframe, then it is eligible, too.

Allan
Thanks Allan. I appreciate the list reposted for ease of access. After seeing Smokio mention he would likely be running a Ford I started to pursue the Ford options and came up virtually empty on the list and all the Google searching I could do. So either he knows something I don't (very likely based on my historical race knowledge) or I'm missing a good resource.

With that said, I'd really like to run a Ford if there is truly a legal Ford that is also available as a slot car.

Thanks again!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
cj74
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Brumos RSR » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:16 pm

cj74 wrote:Thanks Allan. I appreciate the list reposted for ease of access. After seeing Smokio mention he would likely be running a Ford I started to pursue the Ford options and came up virtually empty on the list and all the Google searching I could do. So either he knows something I don't (very likely based on my historical race knowledge) or I'm missing a good resource.

With that said, I'd really like to run a Ford if there is truly a legal Ford that is also available as a slot car.

Thanks again!

1966 GT 40 Mark II is eligible according to Allan's list.
Brumos RSR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SuperSlab » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:38 pm

Brumos RSR wrote:
cj74 wrote:Thanks Allan. I appreciate the list reposted for ease of access. After seeing Smokio mention he would likely be running a Ford I started to pursue the Ford options and came up virtually empty on the list and all the Google searching I could do. So either he knows something I don't (very likely based on my historical race knowledge) or I'm missing a good resource.

Thanks again!

1966 GT 40 Mark II is eligible according to Allan's list.

Eppie Wietzes actually ran a GT40 Mk I, not a Mk II

Alwyn
SuperSlab
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

PreviousNext

Return to Can-Am Proxy 2018