Sprite Proxy 2018_Round 5 - Perry's Rocket

Sprite Proxy 2018_Round 5 - Perry's Rocket

Postby VTECFOUR » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:09 pm

Raced yesterday afternoon before our regular Friday evening race on Perry's Rocket, one of the faster tracks in our club, the only one with a banked corner.

It's actually one of two tracks, side-by-side, that are hung and dropped in his double garage.

Ran all three lanes as we had enough drivers and corner marshals.

The roster was fourteen instead of twelve as the missing two entries just arrived, safe and sound.

Brainslot

RS Slot Racing

They've missed four races but at least we've got them in hand and they weren't lost forever.

So, the results were:

#54 ER - 71.8 laps, 6.979 fastest lap
#12 Austin - 71.9, 6.927
#14 glasshorsevh - 74.8, 6.779
#75 black3sr - 75.2, 6.720
#10 charlesx - 75.7, 6.710
#22 RS Slot Racing - 75.7, 6.779
#64 HMG - 76.8, 6.614
#67 Brainslot - 78.4, 6.500
#60 JTPrevia - 80.1, 6.409
#9 VTECFOUR - 80.6, 6.335
#79 TF1250 - 81.3, 6.416
#198 chrisguyw - 82.1, 6.164
#5 Doubl B - 82.7, 6.296
#16 Duke7777 - 82.9, 6.259

Congratulations to our podiumites.

1st - #16 Duke7777
2nd - #5 Doubl B
3rd - #198 chrisguyw

Again, much thanks to our track host, drivers, marshals and sponsors.

This now concludes the west coast running and moves on to New England.

Parting pics.

Dan

Last edited by VTECFOUR on Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Sprite Proxy 2018_Round 5 - Perry's Rocket

Postby Duke7777 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:36 pm

I think the Sprites liked this track better than Mike's Airport - less time spent in the corners. All the cars ran quite smoothly and competently, with the distances being bunched closer together as a result. Good acceleration and speed were particularly beneficial on this track, resulting in some minor shuffling of the finishing order compared to earlier rounds.

Doubl-B's car was a joy to drive - quick and easy to drive near the limit - and had it's best result so far in the series. TF1250's car ran well as usual, but didn't seem to quite have the snap of Doubl-B's. As expected, Chris' car was quick and turned the fastest lap, but couldn't be driven consistently at this speed without excessive risk of tipping. When most of these Sprites tip, they typically aren't going too fast so it's a fairly gentle and harmless roll. When Chris' car tips it can be quite dramatic, so it's something you want to avoid.

JT's car cornered well as usual but seemed to lack the speed of others. At one point his car let out a little clunk and slowed dramatically. It appears the sliding weights had slid too far and were rubbing on a rear tire. We taped the weights, but the motor seemed to have been affected by the rubbing as well, and would barely turn over. A brief no-load run on the test block seemed to clear it up and the car then appeared to return to normal function (except for the non-sliding weights). I don't believe his total distance was affected too much by the problems, it was more that this track didn't suit his car as well as one with lots of mid-speed corners.

For other cars, lap times were largely determined by the car's "tipping speed". It will be interesting to see how things change in the second half of the series. Based on my limited experience in entering proxies, it seems that our Vancouver tracks provide a bit more grip for Paul Gage tires than other tracks around the world.
Duke7777

Postby JT Previa » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:52 pm

Clearly, this track will benefit from some chicanes. Lemans, Monza, Watkins Glen - all were “improved” with chicanes...maybe by next year :dance:

A clunk? Did he say a clunk? Motor wouldn’t turn over? Almost as bad as a Toyota at Lemans. Well, my epoxy slide limiter must have given up the ghost. I was worried if I soldered it, I’d wick solder into my sliding tubes. Not the first time that complexity has compromised durability of a race car.

Kudos to Duke, DoubleB - who has upward momentum- and ChrisVWGuy who returned to the podium. Glad to see Brain and RS Slot on track.

Thanks to VTEC and gang for putting on five races in a week.

JT
JT Previa
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Doubl-B » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:35 pm

Great job guys for running these races in quick succession! It's a refreshing surprise in proxy racing! Hopefully the US tracks will keep moving things along with regularity as well!
Doubl-B
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby charlesx@xtra.co.nz » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:57 am

Hear hear to the start of this proxy. The quick series of races was great. Appreciate this cannot always be expected but some do seem to drag on a bit.

Look forward to rest of series once cars get there.

Just a suggestion for those who experienced late arrival. Aussie proxies and I think also VRAA always stress careful wording of customs declaration. Clearly state used model car for competition and return plus keep value low - $10-20.

Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)
charlesx@xtra.co.nz

Postby EReimer » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:06 am

Great pictures of the cars on the tracks.
PS: Thanks for the positioning of the cars, shows what could happen in a future proxy racining. lol
EReimer

Postby black3sr » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:07 am

Where are the cars now?
black3sr

Return to Sprite Proxy Race (SPR) 2018