[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Sprite proxy build

Sprite proxy build

Re: Sprite proxy build

Postby brainslot » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:29 pm

That is a 'work of art'. Superb craftsmanship and technical design. I got to get to work on mine....got a concept for a special 'dampened' pod.

Brian
brainslot

Postby chrisguyw » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:41 am

A few minor cosmetic details to clean up, but, the car is basically finished.

The photo was taken on a dark cloudy day, and the colour (Tamiya champagne gold) looks much less brown in the flesh.

Having never run a Tuna motor, I am not sure if it is a good one or not, but, the car runs very well.

Cheers
Chris Walker

Last edited by chrisguyw on Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Lou E » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:54 am

That looks really good!!!
Lou E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:11 pm

That is a "scary" good looking chassis, Chris. Congrats on the successful Slot.It pod narrowing; I've wanted to do that on several occasions, now I know it can be done......

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Doubl-B » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:51 pm

I almost hate to post a photo of my car because of all the beautiful work done on the other cars and gorgeous chassis shown previously, but I have a car that is not finished but it is track worthy. Seems like it will need a lot of track time to try to dial it in.
100_5762.JPG
I'm finding that with the provided wheels and tires and the minimum tire radius and the minimum under car clearance of 3/32" the car looks like it's on stilts compared to other proxy cars's I've built. I'm happy with the speed but I find it to be tall and skinny and therefore extremely tippy. My "go to" chassis is the beloved MRRC Sebring chassis but even in stock configuration there is not enough clearance to meet the 3/32 rule so I had to hog out the bushing holders in the chassis and drop them lower toward the track to give greater under chassis clearance. I'm using an axle as a pin gauge to check for clearance. Is everyone having the same issues? All he chassis photos appear to me to be very "low slung" although it is hard to tell for sure in photos. If you guys are good to go with the "under clearance" rule, it's going to be another looooong proxy series for me in the back of the pack!
Doubl-B
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby VTECFOUR » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:15 pm

@ chrisguyw - gorgeous build as usual and probably sticks to the track.

@ Doubl-B - if your car's tippy in the corners, you're not alone. My build does that too but the challenge is to sort that out as best you can. The organizers knew some guidelines (minimum 3/32" track clearance, minimum 20mm wheel\tire diameter) would not be conducive to easy speed and handling as many of us are finding out.

Your car looks very similar to your previous smaller scale Sprite Proxy Race builds, however, from the photo angle it looks like your car's wheels/tires have been slammed down within the body. Correct me if not. If they do though, this contravenes the following chassis guideline.

7. Wheels and mounted tires must be fully visible in the wheel arches and not be tucked and dropped within the body.

Here's my car's side view within the guideline.

Better to get this clear now.

Dan
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Doubl-B » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:26 pm

Thanks Dan

Yes I agree completely - better to resolve issues now and be able to test, than fail tech and make a quick change and not have time to sort out the car. Here is a better side view.

So the wheels are indeed tucked somewhat into the body, not sure I'd call it "slammed", but the body was set so the bottom of the body is even with the bottom of the chassis. I didn't really pick up on the tires being fully visible verbiage. So if I understand you, we need to see the top of the tire when looking into the wheel arch to meet the "fully visible" criteria? I can easily re-situate the body with the mounts I'm using...

Not sure this will hurt the handling too much because the bodies are extremely light and I have to say, they are a whole lot easier to work on than the 1/32 scale bodies we worked on in the past!

-BB
Doubl-B
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby VTECFOUR » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:21 pm

Hey BB,

You'll have to raise the body so we clearly see the whole diameter of the wheel/tire in the wheel arches. That'll give you the opportunity to widen your tracks, front and rear, to be flush with the body sides.

Better to clarify now rather than discover at tech.

Dan
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby JT Previa » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:31 pm

Nice looking car. DoubleB's cars are always smooth as silk, so I bet that car finds some more speed.

VTEC, good point about tire visibility. We are striving for a "period correct" style for this proxy - from the box art to paint schemes to car set up to the driving, older cars needed to be slowed before the turns.

BB, the "axle as clearance checker is a good idea.

:text-thankyouyellow:

JT
JT Previa
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Doubl-B » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:19 pm

Thanks Dan - already pulled the body mount cups off the body and re-setting the body. Thanks for catching this!
BB
Doubl-B
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chrisguyw » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:19 pm

Well, Chassis testing is complete....now the little bugger can be boxed up and it can go for a plane ride.

Cheers
Chris Walker

chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Previous

Return to Sprite Proxy Race (SPR) 2018