[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Build Thread for all

Build Thread for all

Build Thread for all

Postby charlesx@xtra.co.nz » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:52 am

Hi Dan and all.

With my Touring Car Proxy car completed the Bugeye Sprite is my next project.

Got off to a bad start however. Thought I would use a new 3D chassis I had just got from Aussie but it turned out to be too wide without extensive modification. It is now to be used for an Aston Martin DBR1 project. While preparing for Bugeye use however I prematurely cut off the motor shaft at the opposite end to the usual to fit the 3D chassis. I could therefore not use the BWA motor mount in the usual manner (screwed to the bracket with the provided screw holes) so it was back to the drawing board.

Normally I could just use another motor but with a handout motor provided this was not an option.

This week I have started constructing a brass and piano wire chassis using modified BWA motor mounts and an old brass front axle and guide tongue assembly (probably from 60's) I got in a junk lot of slot car parts a few years ago.

Will add some photos when I figure out how to add on this forum and look forward to others adding their builds.

Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)
charlesx@xtra.co.nz

Re: Build Thread for all

Postby black3sr » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:04 am

Chas , Dan has approved buying a replacement motor from SCC. We have bought 2 or 3. We( the three entries from Northlands) are building various chassis. My first one started by using the adjustable plastic chassis from SCC.
black3sr

Postby charlesx@xtra.co.nz » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:32 am

Thanks Black3sr.

I intend to stay with original motor. This seems more in line with original vision for proxy. My understanding is all the motors were tested for consistency. Not sure whether extra SCC motors would conform but does not worry me unduly. I will be quite happy if my car performs reliably and is easy to drive.

The Number 10 on the side of the motor however is getting rather faint but is still just readable. I should have put some clear tape over it before I started.

I have now completed my basic chassis and most of motor mount plus fitted the contrate and pinion. Not sure of the gearing though. Had to insert a plastic spacer between the motor and rear bracket because of my earlier blunder. Just about ready to fit the body posts for the mounting system.

Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)
charlesx@xtra.co.nz

Postby black3sr » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:05 am

My #75 entry. Nice to see someone else can drive it. I am working on a couple other chassis.

black3sr

Postby TuscoTodd » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:33 pm

Looks / sounds pretty darn smooth sir!
:handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby DRW21 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:30 am

Last edited by DRW21 on Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
DRW21
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby VTECFOUR » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:12 pm

Hi David,

Looks interesting. Is that all brass construction?

How are you mounting the body?

Dan
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Lou E » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:46 pm

Lou E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby JT Previa » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:49 pm

Elegant details on that chassis. Worth spending some time studying. I think Tony’s built one of these before...

JT
JT Previa
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Lou E » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:30 pm

Ok, seems like I got this photo thing figured out thanks to Harry so here's where I am at with my entry. After seeing Dan's build, I had to go with a 1:24 driver from Immense Miniatures, and after seeing one in person I will definitely be using them on future builds. The driver will need some reconstructive surgery on his arms, shoulders and torso but he looks pretty happy in the Bugeye so I think it will all work out.

I have been slowly teaching myself how to make stuff for 3D printing, having a lot of fun with it but the learning curve is a little steep. This is the second chassis that I printed for the Sprite but I didn't like how it turned out either...

...so I'm onto chassis number 3, I think this one will work, hopefully! Also trying out some inserts, I made some for the FWD Mini I'm working on and they didn't turn out half bad so we shall see.

I am having a lot of fun with this proxy, at this point even if the car turns out to be a dud, it's all good. There's always next year! :lol:
Lou E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby VTECFOUR » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:23 am

Hi Lou,

Well done, getting into 3D printing technology.

Printing yourself or sending it out?

Dan
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby JT Previa » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:58 pm

Lou, I almost called 9-1-1 after seeing that first photo! :oops: It was a bit disconcerting seeing those arms outside the car. :cry:

Nice job on the 3D modeling - what program are you using to draw that up - Sketch Up? Were the wheels the most challenging part? That fairing looks very nice.

Alright, gotta go and carve the turkey.... :angry-tappingfoot: I'm holding up the meal!

JT
JT Previa
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Lou E » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:52 am

Lou E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Lou E » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:02 am

Lou E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!