[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Build Thread for all

Build Thread for all

Re: Build Thread for all

Postby chrisguyw » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:46 pm

chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby charlesx@xtra.co.nz » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:26 am

My car went in post Monday so safe post I hope. Have sent Dan some pictures so perhaps he will post. Regards Chas Le Breton
charlesx@xtra.co.nz

Postby HMGracing » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:58 pm

Hi All,
I'm new to this form and new to Slot Car racing 1/32 scale. I was asked if I wanted to make a car for the Sprite Proxy race 2018 by my cousin Bill.
Well to say the least I scratch built a car. Wondering what to make the chassis out of I decided on Carbon fiber and Epoxy. I had built some tube chassis's about 50 years ago for 1/24 scale Slot Cars and didn't want to do that. Well, I bought a lot of Carbon Fiber plate in different thickness and some rectangular tubes so I would have some right angle bits. Spent lots of money and was warned that I couldn't sell to foreign governments, ha ha ha, I was off the races.
Wow, this stuff is hard and stiff depending on the thickness. No scroll saw blade would last more than 5 seconds so that was out of the question. But was no match for carbide tipped table saw blades. Drilling was ok but filing didn't work either but the Dremel worked ok. Just watch fingers and don't breath.
So cutting tubes to make motor mounts and axle carriers I thought was easy. After cutting I noticed that the sides were no longer parallel because of how the tubes were wound during manufacture. Oh well we fix.
Sorry the Pics are so big. You just have to scroll through them or click on them to see all.
IMG_7901r.JPG

Lets make a drawing with some measurements we need.
IMG_7909r.JPG

Drilling holes through the side of the rails for the axle wasn't great. I did first put members inside the tubes to try and keep the sides parallel but still not good enough. On the front I added a brass tube to contain the oilite bearings and then clearanced the holes so I could make them straight when the parts were epoxied together. The holes in the rear weren't too bad but in the end the axles ran smooth in the bearings but axle alignment was not great. And just like they do in NASCAR you pump up the tires. So the front left tire is about 0.015" taller than the other side. You have to understand that the chassis has no flex so that when the front tire would land, it would lift the opposite rear tire and loose traction. In the end it all worked out ok.
IMG_8166r.JPG
Last edited by HMGracing on Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
HMGracing

Postby HMGracing » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:48 pm

Some views of the Carbon fiber and Epoxy chassis.
IMG_8356r.JPG
IMG_8357r.JPG
IMG_8358r.JPG
Last edited by HMGracing on Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
HMGracing

Postby HMGracing » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:55 pm

Some views of the fully assembled chassis.
IMG_8403r.JPG

IMG_8405r.JPG
Last edited by HMGracing on Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
HMGracing

Postby HMGracing » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:15 pm

Views of the completed Car.
IMG8407_8409.jpg

Everyone needs a Smile.
IMG_8411r.JPG

And now, the Racers from Northlands International Raceway.
Let us know if your in the Kitchener area and drop in. We race on Wednesdays.
IMG_8417r.jpg
Last edited by HMGracing on Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
HMGracing

Postby VTECFOUR » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:45 am

Whoa, all carbon fibre construction! That was a bit of effort. Well done HMG.

Black3sr's influence on the livery choice is evident in the Northland Raceway cars.

Looking forward to seeing the team effort.

Dan
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby frank9129 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:36 pm

Beautiful engineering job. I could never do that anymore.
Maybe when I was a model maker at Westinghouse in the 60's.
Keep up the good work and keep posting.
frank9129
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby JT Previa » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:14 pm

HMG - thanks for sharing your foray into composite construction! Yet another innovative chassis entry into the SPR! I’m glad to see that I’m not the only one who needs more than one try to get their “great idea” to work! The team paint and numbers is great esprit de corps, and what Sprite doesn’t have a smile

JT

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
JT Previa
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HMGracing » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:04 pm

Thanks for all the enthusiasm guys.
It was fun and the car worked better than expected.
I enjoyed looking through all the other great builds and paint jobs, awesome. :text-bravo:
I can't wait to see all the entries and results.
Too bad we couldn't be there for the races. :auto-driving:
Have fun. :auto-checkeredflag:
HMGracing

Previous

Return to Sprite Proxy Race (SPR) 2018