[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Ranch Design Slimline Chassis

Ranch Design Slimline Chassis

1/43rd Scale Slot Car Forum

Ranch Design Slimline Chassis

Postby Tsooko » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:53 pm

Hi guys
Well the postman was nice to me yesterday. He gave me one of Steve's new Ranch Design Slimline chassis.
I am impressed in a good way. A great job is done on this chassis. Attention to detail is awesome!
Rear bushings are already installed, No fiddling on my part, the motor bracket fits well and is a great idea IMHO. All the holes that need to be threaded for the motor bracket mounting are done as well as the bolt holes for adjusting the wheelbase. Sweet!
For crying out loud the holes for the front axle are even chamfered so clumsy hands like mine can slip in the axle!
When mounting the motor there is a cutout in the bottom of the pan that the motor fits down into, making the cg very low. And a slot that a magnet can be glue in for those that need it.
This chassis is Light, light, light!!!
The standard SCX motor fits and Kihm's SCE-FB2 motor from Slotcar Express fits, for those who want a little more speed.
I have to get out some Ranch Design gears and wheels I got extra of and try it out.
Thanks Steve. :handgestures-thumbup:
Cheers Ted
Tsooko
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Ranch Design Slimline Chassis

Postby pfuetze » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:43 pm

:text-worthless:

always wanted to use that smiley :mrgreen:

puddle dude
pfuetze
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cjent » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:18 pm

Can't wait to see/hear about it. I think mine is "in the mail"!
Cjent
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Tsooko » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:50 am

OK! Here are some pics.
Here is what you get from Ranch.
You will need these

and some gears, motors, Tools
The McLaren F1 fits great.
I won't be able to run it as the little track is dismantled and the big track isn't built yet.

Cheers Ted
Tsooko
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby pfuetze » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:20 am

Nice pictures, thanks Ted!
pfuetze
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby LibertyFLHTC » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:55 am

Thanks for the write-up, Ted and glad you like the chassis!

A word to those that might try one of the R-D chassis - a 2mm tap is needed to thread the mounting holes in the motor can if you plan to use one from your stock. When tapping the holes do not turn the tap into the motor any more than absolutely necessary or you may damage the windings on the armature.

If you can't locate a 2mm tap, let me know as I can get them.
LibertyFLHTC
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby sirslotsalot » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:04 am

A lot nicer looking than Techno Slot. IMHO.
sirslotsalot
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Tsooko » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:00 am

I agree Kihm. By the way your sce motor fits right in, as you can see.
The screws are phillips head so the screwdriver does not slip out when assembly. and you got a fully swiveling guide flag. The nut over the guide post works great. It took me only an hour to assemble but it would be a bit longer 'cause I didn't solder any wires yet.

Hi Steve. Now you tell me!!! I did have trouble with the screws going into the motor and had to make my own tap from a screw. As a result I stripped one side. What I did was to rough up the end of the "can" and the motor mount with a diamond bur and my dermal, then using some Gorilla glue, glued the mount to the motor.
When I was fixing Boats what we did was to coat the tap with grease so as you ran it in the grease would capture all the fillings it cut. Spark plugs blew out of old motors readily as they were aluminium heads. Helicoils were the big fix.
Building the chassis was very simple and I think there are more in the future.
Oh, one other thing is that the motor electric soldering tab touched the chassis so you have to either file the chassis slot a bit to clear it or bend up the tab or both so you don't "short" to the chassis. That could be made a little longer ( the motor clearance hole ) , IMHO. Not a big deal really.
More of these chassis are in the future at my place. I'll remember to order the tap. Oh yeah can you get the screws separately? There is one on my floor someplace I can't find. Butterfingers me! One of the reasons I wasn't a baseball star! :whistle:

Well done Steve!

Cheers Ted
Tsooko
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Datto » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:30 am

That's very tidy! Nice design Steve!!
Datto
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby LibertyFLHTC » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:49 pm

Thanks for the kind words guys.

One tip I learned a LONG time ago was to have a 'magnet on a stick' handy for when the small metal bits decide to go AWOL. The little setscrews for the wheels and gears are the worst to find and that magnet seems to work every time.

BTW - if a motor is purchased with the chassis, I do my best to remember to tap the mount holes before pagkaging.

If there is a demand for those taps, I'll put a few in stock for sale.
LibertyFLHTC
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cjent » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:19 pm

Great chassis, Steve!
Great tutorial, Ted!
MUCH better than the Tecno chassis.
Cjent
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby OL Mike » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:10 pm

RANCH DESIGN SLIMLINE CHASSIS what did you pay for this chassis Thank you OL Mike :text-goodpost:
OL Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Tigeracer » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:47 pm

Hey Ted,
Super job on the tutorial and the pics are awesome!
That chassis looks like a real winner
Thanks
Greg
Tigeracer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Tigeracer » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:48 pm

Oh, I almost forgot, The McLaren is really cool!
Tigeracer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Broman62 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:29 pm

Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to HRW 1/43rd Scale