[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - What's on your bench right now? [1/43]

What's on your bench right now? [1/43]

1/43rd Scale Slot Car Forum

Re: what´s on your bench right now?

Postby jhrico » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:20 pm

Things on my "workbench" (laundry room box, for now...) Sad about Ranch Design, actually.
jhrico

Postby BARC 1 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:55 pm

Nice cars. I have a soft spot in heart for Ferrari so the 250 GTO is very nice and one I have not done yet.

I do have some nice wire wheels for one though.

Cheers

Dan
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby pfuetze » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:21 am

still have the Ranch-Design Ferrari 250 sitting in the box, waiting to be built ...
pfuetze
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby jhrico » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:33 pm

Yeah, I only started on it after I heard of Steve selling the equipment. And Dan, yes, wire wheels would look great. Did you get from kuki63?
jhrico

Postby BARC 1 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:00 pm

No I got them from a UK shop. I sent you a pm.

Cheers

Dan
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby taskak » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:54 am

taskak
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:43 am

I like the look of that car.

Chassis work is always fun. You start off with an idea and then just tweaks things here and there, until you have something that works. If that is the same type of motor that was in Jhrico's Capri, it should really go. It had little braking ability though.

I am prepping my Porsche 956 for the Pronomag proxy, as I will be sending my cars to Peter when I return his car. Having the benefit of actually driving Peters cars, I have an idea of what I need for times to try and place higher then past events. The 956 was smooth and quiet, but I needed to calm the front end down a bit as i will still 0.3 seconds off Peters mini.

I decided to do something radical to the chassis in an effort to get better handling. So I tuned up the guide flag first, It is amazing how much attention needs to be paid to this area of the car. This tune up got me better corner stability. Now for the radical part I cut into the chassis and made a functional sprung rear end. On heavy acceleration, the torque from the motor is tampered by this sprung set up, and the result is the nose and guide stays firmly planted in the slot. I was finding under heavy acceleration with this new motor the front end was getting light and actually lifting out of the slot causing issues accelerating out of the corner. This mod fixed that, and I turned some laps within .01 seconds of the mini, which I think is pretty good considering the mini does have some magnetic effect. This sprung rear end is adjustable as well to give you some tweaking options. Hopefully this will get me into the midpack at the Pronomag. Last year I was dead last except for a truck that was entered.

Over the past year, I have discovered how much fun tuning these nomag cars can be, There is so much stuff you can do to make up for the lack of a magnet to get better handling and better lap times. Messing around with chassis set ups and tires has been a lot of fun.

Dan
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cjent » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:57 am

Response to Roland: I have heard nothing but I intend to inquire on the status of Ranch Design.
Cjent
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby pfuetze » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:13 am

Aki, that looks great, but please, please do not think about it entering this motor in the ProNoMag. The lack of breaking is awfull.
These motors are best used for dragsters, i think, but for sure not in NoMag cars. Maybe in magnet cars, as the mags are normally adding to the breaks.
I like the look of the body so.

Dan, looking forward to your cars :D :D :D
pfuetze
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:34 am

I agree with Peter. My experience has been a well handling cars is what you are after. The Nomag Carrera cars had lots of speed, but they did not handle well, and were at the bottom of the pack. The cars at the top were well handling and had good braking effect from the motor. The N 20 with the hole in it has some braking effect, but just so others know, I replaced that motor with the square Block, dare I call it the BARC BLOCK, Not as much top end but really good brakes, and it is a 12 volt motor and can run all day and not even get warm. An N 20 motor gets one punch exiting the corner on to the front straight and then coasts through the corner. This new Block gets full throttle all the way to within a foot of the corner, before you need to let off, and the wheels almost lock up giving you great braking action before you punch it through the corner.

Cheers

Dan
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby walker » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:52 am

Thank you very much, Chuck.

Let´s hope he is well.

Roland
walker
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby pfuetze » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:55 am

does any of these motors have brushes or are the built with copper strips?
pfuetze
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:26 pm

They are copper strips with brushes on the end on the copper.

Dan
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby taskak » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:16 pm

Relax Peter, this is not for your race and yes it's the same motor that is in jhrico's Capri.
I wrote elsewhere that I have few of these motors but I have never used them
so I decided to put one into this.
This was more just practicing chassis building and soldering.
I might put rubber tires into this and just drift around the track sideways with it,
or maybe I'll put bigger wheels to it and start drag racing, who knows.
This one is just for fun.
Body is by the way Motorific Pontiac Grand Prix 1964.
These bigger cars they made aren't bad but because they had universal chassis for all cars
you can imagine how big something like Corvette is when it has same wheelbase than Impala.

Cheers

Aki
taskak
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby LloydL » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:38 pm

Aki, your car would fit perfectly on Carsten's Nevada track!

Regards, Lloyd.
LloydL
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

PreviousNext

Return to HRW 1/43rd Scale