[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - That "Devil" Ted Made Me Do It!

That "Devil" Ted Made Me Do It!

1/43rd Scale Slot Car Forum

That "Devil" Ted Made Me Do It!

Postby Florida_Slotter » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:19 pm

Okay, we won't be going back to Flip Wilson days.

Ted Sookochoff, aka "Tsooko" and I have been keeping in contact during my recovery period. Recently our discussion got around to "Jaildoor" type of slot car construction that was widely used back in the 60's. I got to thinking and came up with the idea of using the brass rod and some piano wire to make a chassis. Making the cutouts for wheels and such is so much easier then having to cut it away from a brass plate. So I got to work.

Fortunately I had some bits and pieces lying about, so I grabbe one of the fine FF50 motors that Kihm of Slot Car Express, some tires & wheels from Ranch-Design, a lexan body from Ranch-Design as well as one of their guide flag kits. Once I got started, the car almost fell together.

Brass is just so much easier to work with then piano/music wire. It's softer, easier to cut and much easier to solder. But it also will fold up a lot easier. But if you use at least a single run of this wire, it makes the chassis a whole lot stiffer and durable.

I made a 'loop' out of 1/16 piano wire that had an inside dimension of .460. This allows the FF50 motor to lie between the rails. Then I added some 1/16 brass rod to add weight to the center section of the chassis. I was going to go with just a fixed guide mount, but what the heck, we used drop arms back when this techonology was the latest and greatest. So I just had to build a drop arm on this chassis. It only moves down about .035 and that's all it will ever need.

The body I am using is one of Ranch-Designs lexan Porsche RS Spyders. The Carrera GO Porsche RS Spyder will also fit the chassis, so I have a choice.

Hopefully I will get it on the track in the next day or so to see how it runs. But it's easy to build and makes a great base for doing just about any chassis you might want to build.

If the testing proves the validity of this design, I will be doing a step by step process of building your own.
Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Re: That "Devil" Ted Made Me Do It!

Postby Dodgefarmer » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:28 pm

Awesome Marty. I'm looking forward to the step by step write up.

Randy
Dodgefarmer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Tsooko » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:43 pm

You've heard of the "Intimidator" , Well I'm the " Instigator " :twisted:
Looking good Marty. :clap: :dance: All the stuff from the heyday of 1/24 scale slot cars seems to work in 1/43.
It's a wide open scale.

Cheers Ted :angry-devil:
Tsooko
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby LloydL » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:31 pm

Nice!

Regards, Lloyd
LloydL
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Tigeracer » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:48 pm

Excellent soldering on the chassis. So neat and clean!!!
Very impressive design!
thanks for sharing and I'm looking forward to the step by step process
Greg
Tigeracer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby racer6583 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:01 pm

Well that just looks stunning get the testing done so we can find out how to build it.

I'm just starting to dream up some ideas on different chassie combos can't wait to see what your step by step will make me think of next.
Nice build on the chassie clean solder joints looks fast just sittin there.

Thanks for sharing.

Rex
racer6583
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby pfuetze » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:08 am

Great looking chassis, Marty!
But you´re late ;) you should have entered it for the ProNoMag :D it looks fast!
very nice and clean work!
pfuetze
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Florida_Slotter » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:06 am

To all - thanks for the positive comments. Sounds like some interest, so I will start putting together a 'build it' article.

Peter - I would have, but I've been pretty much laid up with some health issues. I've not built in some time and I'm kind of rusty. It will improve with a few chassis. Practice always makes you better.

I hope all is well with you and yours.

Later.
Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Postby OldDogMotorsports » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:27 pm

That SIR is one of the sweetest looking piece of work this GOP has seen in a long time,GOP tips his hat to you!

GOP
OldDogMotorsports
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cjent » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:33 am

Cjent
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Broman62 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:16 am

Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Florida_Slotter » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:08 am

Well testing is pretty much incomplete, but that's a long story.

However what was completed is rather impressive. I feel safe in saying that if you are a "No-Magger" then you will be happier with this style chassis then a slinky on an escalator! It just runs nice and smooth, you can slide the car under full control through esses and such. It's a pleasure to drive and I'm sure you will see a few of these at upcoming proxy races.

Now I'll say this about the subject. If you are going to run without magnets, I would strongly suggest forgoing the 'big block' FF50 motor. It simply blows the rear tires off the rims - literally! After a few warm up laps I decided to go to full punch as I came into my long (7 foot) straightaway. Aside from no smoke, it was like John Force's Fuel Funny Car losing traction. It simply spun the rear tires. I had not glued the tires to the rim at that time and it did take some time finding the tire that took off like a big bird spinning about 15,000 rpm! It was quite an impressive sight to say the least.

So I am gathering the bits and pieces to build another one of these brass rod and wire chassis. It will be posted in "The Scratchbuiders Shop" of this site.

I am going to do a step by step, as promised, on one of these chassis. It will be an inline design, much like the chassis in this thread. I will use a 'small block' FF30 motor. They seem to provide the necessary amount of power for this type of car. I have my earlier car with the FF30 motor in it and it is so much faster (yes there is a small amount of 'downforce' added to that car) then the bit motor is. Also after building the drop arm, I remembered why we got away from using all those pieces of brass rod to do it. Something that was not invented back then - the term PITA - is probably appropriate. But if I have enough folks that really - I do mean really want to build one, I'll put it together.

Later.
Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Postby sirslotsalot » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:32 am

Great stuff, Marty!! Glad to see you in action again.

Kihm
sirslotsalot
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby OldDogMotorsports » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:19 pm

Hey Marty,I was very impressed with your chassis,so gitcher butt in gear and do the build! :geek:

GOP
OldDogMotorsports
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:57 pm

WOW! That is VERY nice work there!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Next

Return to HRW 1/43rd Scale