[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - could someone show me how to

could someone show me how to

1/43rd Scale Slot Car Forum

could someone show me how to

Postby racer6583 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:53 pm

Could one of you please show me how to debraid the braids on the SCX and the carrera cars I'm doing it wrong every time I try I end up destroying the braids.

If it isn't to much trouble make it a pictorial and place it in the building tips page that way we can direct all newbies and old timers can refresh their minds.

Thank you very much.

Rex
racer6583
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: could someone show me how to

Postby Tsooko » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:53 pm

Hi Rex
I am surprised that nobody has addressed your issue. I was pulling wire out of my braids at first when trying to fray the braid. It is a lot easier if you understand how most braid is made. Braids are flattened tubes of copper wire or tin coated copper. There are many videos on YouTube showing how it is made. Because it is a flattened tube there is a " front side and a back side "
I take a sewing needle and start on the very end of the braid and comb the wires of the braid towards the open end. You have to do this one crossover at a time and all across the end of the braid, then go up to the next layer and so on till you have debraided as much as you want. The edges of the braid are a problem area and you must make sure you get them. I have found if you go two or three crossovers up you will tighten up the braid causing a Knot. The harder you pull the needle the tighter the knot gets until the wires break. Too many breaks and your braid is ruined.
Go slowly and carefully and you will have no problem. One other hint is that you can fold the braid towards the front of the car to get to the back side and repeat the combing on there. Back and forth will get you a nicely frayed braid without loosing any wires.

Hope this helps. Sorry no pics.

Cheers Ted
Tsooko
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:42 pm

Ted, that is a fantastic write up!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby Broman62 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:43 pm

Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby racer6583 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:10 am

Thank you all I'll check out you tube and see if I can find it.
I know sometimes I seem thick headed, but then I remember that I just started this hobby and there is still a lot to learn.
can't wait to show you all a couple of projects I'm working on ,but got to wait for my netbook to get out of the shop.
This outmode G4 is giving me a bit of a fit posting pics on my photobucket.
Hay Tsooko I can't find it I type in slot car braid and get how to replace them fix a slide glide or something totally off the wall that has nothing to do with slot cars.
racer6583
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Tsooko » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:12 am

Yep your right, you won't find a video on making slot car braid. No-one has posted one yet, The principle is the same as manufacturers that make shielding cables or the fancy braids that guys use to pretty up the cable and hoses in their cars ( motors )
Here's a vid of how braided wire is made.

The machines are fascinating. The principle is the same. Knowing how something is made makes it easier to take it apart.

Cheers Ted
Tsooko
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cjent » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:15 pm

Some how I missed this Rex! Ted did a great job, as usual.
Cjent
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Tsooko » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:06 am

Tsooko
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby racer6583 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:47 am

Thanks RM That takes care of my SCX now I got to come up with some thing for my Carrera's.
I got an idea won't tell you all until I see if it will work.

Rex
racer6583
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cjent » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:48 am

Cjent
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby racer6583 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:55 am

Cool Chuck ,But I got this idea in the back of my mine that's just nagging me to try so I'll try it over the week end and let you all know if it works.
racer6583
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW 1/43rd Scale