1/43 Childford track and cars

1/43rd Scale Slot Car Forum

Re: 1/43 Childford track and cars

Postby pfuetze » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:06 am

welcome to the forum, Ronnie!
Personally i don´t have any experience with Childford products, but from what i read, they are quite similar to Artin.
cheers,
Peter
pfuetze
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby sirslotsalot » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:23 am

Ronnie,

I'm doing a similar project with what sounds like the same kind of 1/43 (possibly Chilford) track and might try some banking as you explained. I bought a "boatload' of this track several years ago and like it very much. It's somewhat flexible and solders very easily at the connection joints. I am building a layout using 4' x 6' module frames made from 3/4" x 3" pine on 12" centers for grid-work. This style of "open" grid-work is classic model train mentality. The track will be laid out, all joints soldered on the the track's backside, then flipped over(better use 2-3 people for the flipping, LOL) and fastened (using paneling adhesive)as one continuous piece to 1/4" thick masonite sheet, cut 1"(approx) wider on either side of the track in the shape of the road course for each module to facilitate turn aprons. A "topper" layer of 1/4" thick masonite will be added to the the base layer making the aprons "flush" with the road surface. The track & masonite "sandwich" assembly still has enough flexibility to allow multiple terrain levels transcending the layout as well. Then the modules will be connected to their corresponding "mates" using jumper wires and clamp-able track joint bases for inter-module strength and joint alignment. I've just started laying track out this week and will have some process pics shortly. The master size planned is: a 4' x 18' leg running west to east, with a 4' x 12' leg running north to south attached at the south-east end of the (4x18). If all goes well, I plan to do a step by step "sticky" thread.

I'm also am using individual power supplies (1) per lane same as you. I find safety in "redundancy". Each supply assembly consists of: 24 vdc @ 1 amp fixed power supply, a 5 amp adjustable voltage regulator w/turn pot, and 0-30 volt analog readout (love old school stuff). Combined cost is about $50/per lane which is a little more than the average good single supply unit to feed (4) lanes. I think you were very fortunate with your find in the storage units and it sounds like you will make some fantastic tracks!! Please send some pics!!

Kihm

PS. Hope this post was not too "wordy". I tend to over-explain some times.
sirslotsalot
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cjent » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:09 am

:text-welcomeconfetti: Ronnie!
Sounds like a good buy and you are doing some great layouts! PICTURES!
Cjent
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW 1/43rd Scale