New to 1/43 with questions

1/43rd Scale Slot Car Forum

New to 1/43 with questions

Postby coznick » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:55 pm

Hi all,
I’ve been out of the slots game for some years. Kids grew up and got real cars. You know that whole scene. I have tons of 1/32 stuff but we’ve downsized over the years so I don’t really have a good place for a big set. I do have a Carrera Go set but also have an opportunity to grab a SCX compact set. I know they aren’t available anymore but my layout won’t be very big. So, I guess my question is what should I get into? Are the systems that much different? My 1/32 stuff was Carrera and Artin with one Scaley set I picked. So the smooth track is more familiar but how does the SCX rubber track translate to 1/43? Controller and power differences etc. any input is appreciated. Thanks, Nick
coznick

Re: New to 1/43 with questions

Postby BRS Hobbies » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:22 pm

SCX Compact track is made of hard plastic but does have slightly more grip than Carrera GO since the track surface is a little more textured. The SCX Compact track is good but you only have two curve radius options and it may be getting hard to find. Carrera GO has three curve radius options and is readily available.

Brian
BRS Hobbies
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby coznick » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:12 pm

Thanks
coznick

Postby pfuetze » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:48 pm

carrera go! offers the best selection of track pieces right now.
R1, R2, R3
R1 and R2 banked
some rally pieces
X-crossing and narrow track piece

you can always paint the track with flat latex paint - that gives better grip to the cars and looks better than the black plastic with the red and white marks ..
pfuetze
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby frank9129 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:14 pm

You know. 1:43 cars run great on MDF. You can always route a track. That way you get what you want with out cutting track to make ends meet.
frank9129
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby LloydL » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:48 pm

I agree with Frank as regards routed tracks. If you choose to run without magnets, a routed track painted with flat latex house paint will give plenty of grip.

I have several routed tracks and am on the process ofreplacing my Carrera GO track with a routed one.

I prefer SCX Compact cars over the Carrera GO cars as they have a swivel guide and usually run and handle better than theGO cars.

Just my thoughts as everyone has their own ideas about what they want from their hobby.

Regards, Lloyd.
LloydL
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW 1/43rd Scale