Driver figures for flat trays in 1/43 cars

1/43rd Scale Slot Car Forum

Driver figures for flat trays in 1/43 cars

Postby viejoronnie » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:26 pm

In looking around for drivers for 1/43 cars, I have found that the 1960's Cox driver shoulder arm figure combined with the rather smallish 1/32 Monogram head makes for a pretty decent inexpensive 1/43 scale appearing driver to mount on a flat card interior.

You can add other 1/43 heads as needed, and easily cast your own resin repops of the torso.
viejoronnie
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Driver figures for flat trays in 1/43 cars

Postby RichD » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:40 am

If someone out there is really ambitious it is possible to shrink existing 1/32nd figures. The method was developed by Roger Corrie, I believe. First you make a mold from the original figure, then you fill the mold with Hydrospan 400 mixed with the proper amount of water. The casting from that will shrink as it loses water. When the casting reaches the desired size you make a new mold from it and then do as many casts as you like.
If you have access to the right equipment you could do a 3D scan of the original to generate a file. That file could easily be edited to reduce the size before the shrunken duplicate was printed.
Last edited by RichD on Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:30 am

There are many good quality metal driver figures. A figure can be fashioned as slot car driver. A mold can be made from these and then re-popped for slot car use.

This is a 1/43 scale lotus with a re popped driver

BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby pfuetze » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:37 am

i'm using driver figures from Vroom, getting them from ebay.
search for "vroom figurrs 43"
pfuetze
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby walker » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:26 pm

If the expense of time and work was not so high and the effect worth it, one should sue VROOM for copying everything and selling it at EBAY under his own label. This is theft and lies.
Nothing about buying figures, change their poses, clothes and hairstyle and whatever. I myself have been doing so for many years. But I also inform the original maker whether he he minds me selling a few of the reworked and altered ones or not. Whereas - I sell few only, five, max. ten. More is too much work and I don´t keep up my social status by such tiny amounts of money.

But it has been and is the best way to expand one´s own collection and variety of figures by buying some that are similar in shape and pose to what one needs, cut them into pieces, sculpt the new creations ( YEAAAH ! DR. MINI- FRANKENSTEIN !) and cast them.
I pricipally cut off arms and legs, even cut the knees and elbows and make my moulds with these separate parts. This little plus of work to prepare the cast is being paid back by less work with sculpting the new driver in its special pose.
walker
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW 1/43rd Scale