[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Grandpa Needs Help With LED's, & Parts Source

Grandpa Needs Help With LED's, & Parts Source

1/43rd Scale Slot Car Forum

Grandpa Needs Help With LED's, & Parts Source

Postby Robert11 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:27 am

Hello,

I'm a Grandpa trying to help Grandson in getting
his slot cars "functional".
Know nothing about slot car racing, but am trying to learn.
Looks like a really fun hobby, for all ages.

He has a set with the following info., but it apparently is not one
of the major brands:

It's a two car slot racing setup:

The hand Controller says:

Midwood Brands

Kidztech Toys

Made in China

And, on the battery pack it says (takes eight 1.5 volt batteries=12 V):

Gear G Maxx

Slot Racing

1:43 Track

Questions:

a. The LED headlights are apparently blown.

What is the normal operating voltage for these really, really small LED's ?

There does appear to be a resistor in the circuit, which I assume drops the voltage from
the Controller battery pack (12 V) to something suitable for the LED's. Not sure of R value. What should it be ?

I may have truly blown them, as I put 9V across them thinking this was a reasonable voltage.
Big flash, then nothing ! Thoughts ?

What do they normally like to see, probably ?

b. I am not, yet, familiar with where the best sources for purchasing parts like this are.

Looking for some place reputable, with a big stock, and reasonable prices and shipping.

Might you please suggest one or two outfits for me to look at their web site ?

Besides new LED's, I also need some of the Braid that contacts the rails.

BTW: I looked at You Tube, but couldn't find, surprisingly, a really good video, or pictures, of
what the braid is supposed to look like once installed (how it lays against the car bottom ?)

Could you point me to some, please ?

Again, thanks for help,

Bob
Robert11

Re: Grandpa Needs Help With LED's, & Parts Source

Postby taskak » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:37 am

Hi Bob,

Does these look like the parts you are looking?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ARTIN-1-43-SLO ... 1931496144

I don't know about that brand but judging from made in China that would be my guess.
If not, desoldering braid is a good choice for DIY braid.

LED's can be something like 1,9V - 3,5V , guessing again since 9V was too much, plenty to choose from Aliexpress or eBay China.

Cheers

Aki
taskak
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

For Taskak Re: Grandpa Needs Help With LED's, & Parts Sourc

Postby Robert11 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:48 pm

Hi,

Yes, that looks exactly like what I need. Will buy some from them, and also the LED's which I apparently destroyed with my 9 V experiment !
Thanks so much.
Nice of you to take the time.

Regarding the Braid installation:

Couldn't really find any good pix that show how the braid
is supposed to lay underneath the car bottom.

Is it simply bent over to parallel the bottom, and this flat part rubs against the rail ?
Should their be a "double bend" ?
Or, is it the edge that is supposed to contact the rail
Or,...?

Might you send me a simple sketch showing how it is to be mounted, at my eMail rgsrose@comcast.net
and/or a link to a really good pix or video showing ?

One more, please:
On these 1/48 models: is there typically only one pin that goes into the rail slot from the car's bottom ?
Do bigger models use two ?

Thanks again,
Bob
Robert11

Postby taskak » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:58 am

taskak
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:06 am

Bob - welcome to HRW - the most helpful forum on the planet as you've just found! Glad to see you helping your grandson out.

Aki - MAJOR props to you for posting this about the Artin 1:43 brands - outstanding help and tutorial. Thanks for that!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby RichD » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:26 am

9 volts would have fried those LEDs for sure! White LEDs run at 3.5 volts or a little less, usually they draw 30 milliamps each (0.03 amps). Red LEDs run at 2 volts. If you run them at even a little more than 3.5 volts you will shorten their life and if you run them at one volt over their maximum they will burn out immediately. Here is an online calculator for sizing the dropping resistor: http://ledcalc.com/
With two white LEDs in series you would need a 180 ohm resistor. Make sure that the supply voltage is actually 12 volts. I get my LEDs from Super Bright LEDs.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Robert11 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:53 am

Hi All,
What a great Forum. Thanks so much for all the help. Really nice of you folks.
Question: The Artin Cars brand (probably) that my Grandson has:
Were these LED's or just small incandescents that I blew out ?

The ones I just ordered from the Caveman / eBay site that was suggested: will I be getting LED's or small incandescents ?

Thanks, and a Happy Holiday to All,
Bob
Robert11

Postby taskak » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:29 am

They look like small incandescents (what I meant with light bulb), those are what Artin used.
taskak
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby pfuetze » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:39 am

artin cars used light bulbs. they used to burn quite quickly.

A LED always needs a resistor.
there are LEDs out there that already have a resistor build in.
sorry, i do not know what LEDs are out there that would replace the artin light bulb.
if i have to guess, you can use any white LED with a 200 ohm resistor (0.5W) in the artin cars.
pfuetze
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW 1/43rd Scale